OVERALL OBJECTIVE AND PURPOSE
Responsible for assisting in designing, planning and implementing DB2 LUW databases, including security, access and documentation. Provides technical assistance in identifying, evaluating, and developing systems and procedures as they relate to databases.
PRINCIPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
– A minimum of 1 to 2 years hands-on DBA production experience with DB2 v10.x on Linux
– Basic ability to update, modify, reconfigure, backup and restore databases
– Basic ability to create, modify, test, implement and maintain database scripts (Shell Script, Perl, Python, etc..)
– Basic understanding of disaster recovery and database backup procedures
– Basic knowledge of TSA & HADR with single & multiple standby servers
– Demonstrated troubleshooting and performance tuning of DB2 LUW
– Basic ability to use of database analysis tools (DB2 visual studio, DB2PD, DB2TOP, DB2 Explain, etc..)
– Basic ability to detect, analyze, troubleshoot and escalate database incidents
– Basic ability to forecast, recommend, and implement capacity planning
– Strong time management skills, independent decision-making capability, focus on customer service
– Basic knowledge of Windows, LINUX & AIX configurations and functions
– DB2 LUW v11.1 on Linux is plus
– Basic knowledge of one or more databases (MySQL/ MSSQL/Oracle) is plus
– Assists in developing database best practices related to performance, capacity and archiving.
– Maintains database documentation (database libraries, best practices and performance and capacity metrics).
– Assists in the development of a maintenance strategy and maintenance scripts relating to backup and recoveries of databases.
– Adheres to service level agreements by following established SLA performance requirements
– Adheres to IT best practices by following established IT best practice performance
– Participates in individual professional development by completing assigned development plan, participating in mentoring activities, tracking and reporting of development, and communicating career path goals and objectives.
Complexity: Functions Responsible for or Influenced
Low / Moderate – influence on database structure and administration
Diversity: Locations Responsible for or Influenced
Moderate – collaborates with individuals from a variety of sites
Typical Job Problems and Difficulties
Client operational issues, database performance issues, after hours support requirements
Medium – Mistakes could lead to costly penalties, downtime, etc.
Job Reports to (direct)
Job Reports to (indirect)
Direct Reports to Job
Authority for Staff Managed
Indirect Reports (influenced)
Level of Complexity for managing/organizing staff
Extent decisions governed by procedures or referred up
High – majority of actions dictated by policy / procedure or must be escalated to management for resolution
Standard requirements for research and analysis
Frequent – new product research and analysis
Opportunity and consequence of typical errors (supervision)
Frequent with moderate / high impact – errors on work performed on daily basis could lead to costly penalties and service interruptions
Frequency and complexity of internal business contacts
Frequent with moderate complexity – deal with clients on semi-complex issues on a daily basis
Frequency and complexity of external business contacts
Infrequent with low impact – deal with vendors occasionally
Physical (% time: travel, operating machinery, environmental etc.)
Minimal physical requirements – low travel, no special environmental issues. d on-call responsibilities in a 24X7X365 environment.
Bachelor’s degree with a technical major or equivalent experience. DB2 Database certifications are a plus
1 to 2 years of related experience with degree
Essential special training requirements (pre-hire)
– ITIL foundation training and certification
Other skills – required
– Exhibits professional and customer appropriate communications (written and verbal). Listens effectively and demonstrates empathy and understanding of others’ concerns. Demonstrates knowledge of techniques needed, and experience in dealing with difficult or demanding customers
– Displays strong technical writing skills and presents information in a professional and engaging manner.
– Promotes teamwork and cooperation and builds strong relationships at all levels. Effectively collaborates and negotiates.
– Organizes and plans work effectively. Balances priorities among stakeholders
– Effectively resolves complex issues by reviewing and analyzing relation information, diagnosing, evaluating options and implementing solutions. Exhibits sound business judgment and exhibits common sense
– Completes work in a thorough, accurate, well thought out, and timely manner and with attention to detail
– Demonstrates high degree of ethics, integrity and confidentiality at all times.
– Displays initiative and self-motivation. Sets high goals for self and others and demonstrates a strong sense of urgency. Achieves results in a high pressure environment
– Exhibits ability to accept constructive feedback
– Effectively implements and manages processes.
– Effectively delivers training in area of expertise.
– Must be able to support 24X7X365 operations as required to include holiday and weekend work as needed
Apply on Company Website
Job ID: 57823
Help us improve CareerBuilder by providing feedback about this job: .
For your privacy and protection, when applying to a job online, never give your social security number to a prospective employer, provide credit card or bank account information, or perform any sort of monetary transaction. Learn more.
By applying to a job using CareerBuilder you are agreeing to comply with and be subject to the CareerBuilder Terms and Conditions for use of our website. To use our website, you must agree with the Terms and Conditions and both meet and comply with their provisions.
GTECH, the largest global lottery business, and IGT, the world leader in the gaming equipment space, have merged to create the world’s leading end-to-end gaming company. By adopting the IGT name and GTECH’s visual identity, we’ve melded two iconic brands into one. Together, we’re uniquely positioned to provide the government-sponsored and commercial gaming industry with proven solutions across the entire continuum of products and channels. Contact Info
– Austin, TX
To apply for this job please visit itjobpro.com.