Write reliable, maintainable software for Detroit Labs projects. The ability and preference to work together in teams to build, review, and learn from each other’s code, estimate features, and fulfill on development commitments to successfully launch software projects is essential. Should be excited to adapt to new technologies and discoveries and incorporate those into ongoing work. Creative and flexible. Experience with agile methodologies and incorporating them in a client services team environment very helpful.
* 2+ years developing and delivering projects in a professional software team. Mobile development experience, either native, code generation platforms, or responsive web is a plus.
* Self-managing and self-motivated, able to plan, prioritize, and accomplish tasks without micromanagement.
* Expertise designing and consuming data APIs.
* Experience building software with more than one development methodology, and the ability to weigh the pros and cons of each.
* Quality focused, with a software development style that incorporates unit testing, continuous integration, and other modern development practices to create software that is high quality and maintainable over time.
* Ability to read and review other team members code for defect and performance improvement. Ability to reflect on and incorporate other team members feedback to improve their own code.
* Experience with software estimating and able to estimate new software features with the information readily available at the time when software estimates are requested.
* Tenacious, with a reputation for taking on and completing all of your tasks and completing them to the best of your ability.
* Comfortable with boring or pragmatic technology as well as cutting-edge or exciting, and the wisdom to choose the right ones at the right time for the right reason.
* Able to provide technical and project feedback and/or leadership as required; comfortable participating in client presentations, sales presentations, and technical conversations.
The Detroit Labs Services business unit offers numerous and extensive non-salary benefits to our team members. This package is designed to appeal to motivated, energetic, and self-sufficient team members, and strike a healthy balance between a high-energy startup culture and an established and mature professional services practice. Non-Salary benefits of note provided to full-time team members include:
* Coin+Craft (C+C): $1,500/year budget for individual team members to use for personal development, conferences, hardware, or any other learning and development activity the team member chooses. Uses for this run the gamut from WWDC/Google I+O conference participation, new phone purchases every year, to reimbursement for registration for the Detroit Labs Warrior Dash 5K race.
* Parental Leave: Far beyond the norm for U.S. companies, the Detroit Labs Services business unit offers 16 weeks of paid leave at 100% salary to maternity/primary caregivers, and an optional 36 weeks of unpaid leave. We offer 4 weeks of paid leave at 100% salary to paternity/secondary caregivers, and an optional 16 weeks of unpaid leave.
* Emergency Leave: For qualified emergency situations, Detroit Labs offers emergency leave that provides 1 week of 100% paid emergency leave, and 5 weeks of leave paid at a sliding percentage based on months of services, from 30% to 70%. We also offer an additional 6 weeks of optional unpaid emergency leave once paid leave is exhausted.
* Hardware Policy: All full-time team members are provided with a $2500 budget to purchase new hardware when they start. Hardware is refreshed every 2-3 years for developers and designers, slightly less often for non-technical team members.
* Sponsorship Budget: Detroit Labs has a $2,000/month community sponsorship budget to support local user groups and events as well as national conferences and events that are important in our industry. Team members play an important role in identifying and suggesting where that sponsorship money is allocated.
* Remote Work: Detroit Labs uses standard work practices that are remote-work friendly. This provides uninterrupted productivity in inclement weather (of which Michigan has a lot) as well as allowing team members the ability to setup a work structure that provides the greatest productivity and satisfaction.
* AA Satellite Office: Detroit Labs operates a satellite office in Ann Arbor for use by any team members that wish to work from Ann Arbor.
* Monthly all-team events: Detroit Labs organizes and conducts about monthly team building events in and around Detroit. These events are designed to both bring the team together in a non-work related manner but also to introduce and experience what the city has to offer. Events are wide-ranging and have included such activities as tours of the historic Masonic Temple and Pewabic Pottery, letterpress classes at Signal+Return, circus acrobatics workshops, brewery tours, a tour of Shingle, etc.
* All-Company training: In addition to individual training that team members acquire via their Coin+Craft budget, Detroit Labs sponsors all-company training. Past training has included defensive and secure coding practices, giving and receiving feedback, and self-defense. In 2016 we introduced a Woman in Tech focused coaching program and a Diversity package.
* PTO policy: Our team members enjoy a flexible and generous PTO package that includes holidays, vacation, sick, and convenience leave.
* DL Sweats: Detroit Labs hosts, sponsors, and subsidizes several health related activities including a 2x/week bootcamp, 1x/week yoga, and every other week massage therapy. These are well attended and have created an overall culture of healthy activity and self-improvement among team members participating in these and other healthy activities.
* Hardware Lab: Detroit Labs operates and stocks a hardware lab for tinkering and hardware hacking.
* Flextime: Detroit Labs team members are responsible for project success, not specific office hours. Our team members can take advantage of flextime to ensure a work/life balance can be created and that time spent working is the most productive as possible.
* Hack Time: As a Services business we often have ups and downs in individual projects, as well as team members that spend a few weeks between projects. Detroit Labs encourages active use of this downtime with our Hack Time ideology, which is a loosely structured personal development time used by team members to explore, learn, and build things that fall outside of our normal Services responsibilities. While many apps and hardware projects have resulted from Hack Time, as important is the skill and new technology development our team members invest in on their project downtime.
* Team & Company Celebrations: Detroit Labs celebrates our successes and victories. When a project team launches a product into the App Store, or we achieve a company milestone or accomplish a company goal, we come together and celebrate. Sometimes these are small celebrations of cake and coffee, sometimes these are larger celebrations at outside establishments. In either case this prevents us from losing sight of the individual accomplishments and successes that taken as a whole provide the story of Detroit Labs success.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: http://itjobpro.com/59537 →