Lead Game Programmer
Who We Are
OtherSide Entertainment is a growing independent game studio with offices in Boston, MA and Austin, TX. We’re focused on providing players with innovative gameplay, immersive worlds, and engaging narrative. Our specialty is what are called “immersive sims” in the tradition of Ultima Underworld, System Shock, Thief and Deus Ex – all games developed by the company’s founders, Paul Neurath and Warren Spector. We’re taking this genre forward with a new generation of games, including our upcoming Underworld Ascendant and System Shock 3.
Our studio has a dynamic development culture, with a focus on self-empowered smaller sized teams that collaborate tightly, a nimble approach to development to ferret out the best innovations, and reaching for a wonderfully high bar to delight our fans.
What We’re Seeking
The OtherSide Entertainment Boston studio is seeking a talented Lead Programmer to join a team getting underway on a new, as yet unannounced game. You’ll report to and work closely with the Project Director. You’ll set the technological vision of the game, and lead a small team of engineers to create a rich and compelling player experience. Together with the other project leads, you’ll collaborate in making core game design decisions and build gameplay systems. You’ll be called upon to write significant amounts of code yourself, troubleshoot existing features, optimize game performance, and work with other members of the team to make a great game. You’ll also mentor and help motivate the team of programmers on the project.
- Participate in all aspects of the project from design to staffing to technology/tools. Share knowledge, motivate and inspire others to generate new ideas in highly collaborative environment. Help empower the less technically oriented team members.
- Lead and manage the programming team. Mentor and inspire the engineering team to meet project quality levels and deadlines.
- Produce the technical specification of the game and oversee the code development process, delegating the different elements to engineering team members as necessary and coding, personally where it makes sense. A fair amount of hands-on coding is expected.
- Work with production staff and other leads to define engineering tasks and determine schedules. Estimate time to accomplish programming tasks and commit to meeting objectives. Help ensure that the team delivers on time and within budget.
- Efficiently communicate and support messages and decisions from management.
- Identify risks and provide solutions to complex technical problems.
- Work independently and collaboratively in a team setting with minimum supervision.
- 6+ years of experience programming in the games industry, with at least one commercial hit PC or Console game that you were in a senior or lead programmer role.
- 2+ years of relevant experience as a programming lead. Must have proven technical, managerial, and leadership experience.
- Track record of contributing to and leading high-quality engineering teams, and solving challenging technical problems effectively.
- Expert knowledge of programming with experience in C++ and C#, and a proven aptitude for technical design.
- Experience working with various game engines, especially Unity.
- Experience in core engine development, AI, networking, gameplay, and tool development.
- Knowledge of the technical pipeline and all the processes needed to make a game. A deep understanding of and appreciation for the entire development process.
- Strong sensibilities in designing and implementing compelling gameplay experiences.
- Solid organizational and communication skills, and ability to collaborate with other disciplines, and being a strong team player.
- Exceptional leadership, communication and team management skills.
- A passion for developing and playing games, including the sort of “immersive sims” OtherSide makes.
- BS degree in Computer Science, or equivalent experience.
If you meet the requirements and are interested in the position, send a cover letter and resume.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: http://itjobpro.com/115582 →