NETWORK ENGINEERRequisition # 73162Position Basics
Advertising Ends on:
Sunday, July 29th, 2018
Advertising Started on:
Thursday, July 12th, 2018
$58,000.00 to Commensurate
Type of Position
Regular: A position which is considered essential for the effective long-term operation of the university. Persons appointed to this position will receive the privileges and benefits associated with regular employment status.
Information Technology Services (ITS) at The University of Iowa, a service organization that provides technology support for the campus, has an opening for a Network Engineer in the Enterprise Infrastructure (EI) department. This position is member of the Network team responsible for the design, architecture, performance and maintenance of the entire campus data network, a critical enterprise 24/7 service.
The person in this position will be expected to participate in discussions of network architecture; vendor selection, equipment purchase, and implementation of wired and wireless network equipment and tools. Monitoring, testing and troubleshooting both wired and wireless networks across the campus will be a primary duty. Ideal candidates will have interest and experience in wireless technologies and edge device support and maintenance. Providing solutions to customer needs and maintaining a stable and reliable network is critical. Interaction with university staff and outside vendors will require excellent interpersonal skills
This Professional & Scientific full-time position will be filled as a Network Engineer (PIN2). This is the second level of the four level Network Engineer job family. Occasional off-hours work will be required, and the team shares on-call duties.
Responsibilities and duties:
– Assist in the design, architecture, performance and maintenance of the entire campus data network, a critical enterprise 24/7 service;
– Vendor selection and equipment purchase;
– Implementation of wired and wireless network equipment and tools;
– Monitor network health and performance;
– Troubleshoot and resolve issues;.
– Provide solutions to customer needs to ensure a stable and reliable network.
Note to Applicant:
The qualifications for this job posting are described as competencies or behaviors needed to be able to perform the job duties of the position at a defined proficiency level/standard. The proficiency level required for the PIN2 level is
unless otherwise specified. For a complete definition of the proficiency levels click on the proficiency levels link above.
Applicants should assure their application/resume and cover letter illustrate the work experience they have that demonstrates the qualifications listed below.
Five professional references will be requested and required at a later step in the recruitment process.
A Bachelor’s degree in Electrical/Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or related field. An equivalent combination of education and related work experience in a technical field may also serve to meet this minimum requirement.
– Experience (typically 1-3 years) working in an enterprise level configuration (500+ users) supporting and managing wired and wireless network equipment and solutions.
– Demonstrated knowledge and ability to design, implement, and support data network hardware, facilities, and software;
– Demonstrated knowledge of concepts, technologies, philosophies, and tools for the design of an enterprise network infrastructure and services;
– Demonstrated knowledge of and experience with managing day-to-day delivery of stable and reliable network services to clients;
– Demonstrated knowledge of approaches, tools and techniques for anticipating, recognizing, and resolving technical (hardware, software, application, or operational) problems;
– Strong analytical and technical problem-solving skills, must be systematic, technically curious, and self-motivated. Ability to diagnose and resolve a variety of basic to complex network problems;
– Excellent verbal and written communications skills including the ability to write and deliver clear and concise instructions, reports and work summaries. Have good interpersonal skills, strong customer service and customer relation skills;
– Ability to routinely move and transport computer equipment up to 50 pounds;
– Must be able to meet the University of Iowa’s Fleet Safety requirements (see website for info) ***************************************
– Knowledge of 802.11 technologies;
– Knowledge and hands-on experience supporting and troubleshooting a wide variety of wired and/or wireless devices;
– Knowledge of software programming and shell scripting necessary for the development and integration of monitoring and management tools (Python, Perl, PowerShell);
– Experience with network monitoring tools, enterprise monitoring of network infrastructure, network performance and capacity analysis;
– Understanding of monitoring and reporting protocols including SNMP v3, sys log, MIBs, XML;
– Experience supporting technology in a higher educational setting;
– Knowledge and/or experience with IPv6 addressing.
Online Application Options
This job requires basic applicant information, plus a resume. Your resume should not be sent to the contact below. The resume will be attached during the Online Application Process.
A plain text cover letter is required.
Driving License Required:
In order to be hired for this job, you must have a valid U.S. driving license. The person(s) selected for this position will have their driving information reviewed, and must meet UI Fleet Safety Driving Record Review Standards.
To start the Online Application process for this position, click the ‘ for This Position’ button located below the Contact Information.
Attention: Your resume should not be sent to the contact below. The resume will be attached during the Online Application Process.
Kimberly A Kuebrich Yordi – *******************
University Capitol Centre
200 South Capitol Street
Iowa City, IA 52240
For information about applying for P & S positions, please go toProfessional and Scientific Position Application Procedures
The qualifications for the positions are listed in the job advertisement.Equivalent combinations of education and related work experience may be considered. The salary listed indicates the minimum for the pay grade to a level commensuratewith qualifications and experience. To review P & S or SEIU pay schedules or for acomplete classification description go to theUniversity of Iowa Compensation andClassification web site.
The University of Iowa is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment free from discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, religion, associational preference, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran. The University also affirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities and equal access to University facilities. Women and Minorities are encouraged to apply for all employment vacancies. For additional information on nondiscrimination policies, contact the Coordinator of Title IX and Section 504, and the ADA in The Office of Equal Opportunity and Diversity, 319/335-0705 (voice) or 319/335-0697 (text), The University of Iowa, 202 Jessup Hall, Iowa City, Iowa, 52242-1316.
Persons with disabilities may contact University Human Resources/Faculty and Staff Disability Services, ************** or **************, to inquire or discuss accommodation needs.
Prospective employees may review the University Campus Security Policy and the latest annual crime statistics by contacting the Department of Public Safety at 319/335-5022.
The University of Iowa prohibits discrimination in employment or in its educational programs and activities on the basis of race, national origin, color, creed, religion, sex, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or associational preference. The University also affirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities and equal access to University facilities. Women and Minorities are encouraged to apply for all employment vacancies.
To apply for this job please visit itjobpro.com.