CenturyLink (NYSE:CTL) is a premier network solutions provider and trusted partner to our customers. As part of our recent acquisition of Level 3 Communications, our portfolio has expanded. More customers. More network. More locations. More opportunities for you. With a global presence in 60 countries, service to more than 350 metro areas domestically, and more than 200,000 miles of fiber; CenturyLink is going places. At CenturyLink, we believe in growth and innovation, for our customers and our employees. Discover how CenturyLink can expand your potential and take your career to new places if you’re looking to join a company that celebrates diversity and creativity, with industry-leading benefits and commitment to employee advancement. We’re committed to bringing great talent to our team to help us change the world. One network connection at a time.
We are in the process of filling open positions for the combined company following CenturyLink’s acquisition of Level 3 Communications. All qualified candidates who express interest by submitting an application to an open posting will be considered. However, based on business needs, preference may be given to internal applicants on certain positions. We still welcome, and encourage, all application submissions while we continue our integration process. Internal applicants are current, active CenturyLink employees, including Level 3 employees who have transitioned to CenturyLink as part of the acquisition.
The Operations Technician 3 is in the CenturyLink Dedicated Network Operations Center (DNOC). This position is for the second shift, (3 pm – 11 pm), working on weekends; the DNOC provides 24×7 on-site dedicated support and trouble resolution for the Social Security Administration’s premier MPLS backbone and IP product lines. The Operations Technician 3 position is responsible for providing subject matter expertise and advanced level technical support to the DNOC and mentor less experienced team members. This position interfaces with internal CenturyLink departments, outside vendors, carriers, and end user customers on issues such as implementations, activations and circuit and site acceptances as well as routine complex troubleshooting. The ideal candidate will proactively take the lead on technical issues, takes independent action and rarely requires guidance.
The Operations Technician III should understand the impact of all outages and review tickets periodically to ensure appropriate resources are being utilized (referrals, portal escalations, DNOC management escalations) to restore service. Operations Technician III should give direction to Operations Technician II’s as needed to ensure tickets are being updated and worked to resolution. Responsibilities of the Operations Technician III include but are not limited to:
- Act in a team lead role reporting directly to NOC management.
- Trouble ticket management and work distribution.
- Managing internal and external escalations.
- Daily report generation identifying critical issues of the day.
- Isolating and resolving customer reported troubles.
- Providing advanced technical support to include remote trouble diagnostics and repair.
- Updating stakeholders via the proper notification channels.
- Working with local exchange carriers to ensure current services are active and restored within the Service Level Agreements.
- Performing network site implementations, acceptances and upgrades as required.
- Utilizing monitoring tools to identify events and collect data about the health of the network
- Five or more years applicable work experience in a NOC environment.
- College Degree or equivalent industry certifications. Certifications must be able to be verified as current. Cisco CCNP preferred.
- Detailed understanding of the OSI networking model physical, data link, and network layers.
- Remote troubleshooting and testing experience along with the ability to resolve unique, complex and/or chronic technical problems.
- In-depth knowledge of troubleshooting circuit degradation issues including utilization, bandwidth, and latency problems as they relate to TDM and Ethernet circuits.
- Must be able to articulate complex to audiences of varying perception levels.
- Advanced expertise with routing and routed protocols using multiple router platforms including Cisco, Juniper, and Alcatel-Lucent
- Experience troubleshooting complex network problems including hardware replacement.
- Prior experience in a client facing role.
- The desire to work in a 24×7 call center.
- The ability and flexibility to work off-hours and holidays as necessary.
The ideal candidate will possess the following work competencies and abilities:
- A strong technical skill level working on complex network issues.
- Consistently influences others and effectively interacts with a wide range of people, issues and technical situations. Expertise mentoring, training, and coaching other team members.
- Ability to understand client issues and strategies. Utilizes technical knowledge and expertise across organizational boundaries to consistently exceed customer needs.
- The willingness and ability to be assigned a team lead role.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- The willingness to be positive contributor to the team.
Associates or Equivalent
Alternate Location: US-Maryland-Baltimore
Requisition #: 162815
This job may require successful completion of an online assessment. A brief description of the assessments can be viewed on our website at http://find.centurylink.jobs/testguides/
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, ancestry, citizenship, national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic characteristic or information, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, family status, pregnancy, or other legally protected status (collectively, “protected statuses”). We do not tolerate unlawful discrimination in any employment decisions, including recruiting, hiring, compensation, promotion, benefits, discipline, termination, job assignments or training.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: http://itjobpro.com/100770 →