Duties and responsibilities of the principal fall into the following categories:
Leadership – The principal is expected to:
- develop and implement the School vision and mission;
- implement, evaluate and report the School’s goals and objectives, as stated in the charter, to key stakeholders, including the district School board and superintendent;
- maintain a positive School/community climate and a safe and healthy environment; and
- encourage teachers and pupils to perform to the best of their ability.
Curriculum and Instruction – The principal is expected to:
- plan, implement, and evaluate the School instructional program based on student needs and within state guidelines;
- compile and prepare all student achievement outcomes;
- supervise and coordinate School-wide programs, curricula and course options;
- review teacher lesson plans and instruction to ensure correlation with the Florida Standards;
- coordinate and supervise the testing and assessment program; and
- ensure that all academic components of the School’s charter are being met.
Student Outcomes – To ensure students achieve to their greatest potential, the principal must:
- solicit input from all stakeholder groups and facilitate the development of a School improvement plan (SIP) that addresses all aspects of School and student performance;
- support data-based decision making and implementation of an organized, coherent, and effective multi-tiered system of student supports (MTSS).
Faculty and Staff –To effectively lead the faculty and staff, the principal must:
- determine staffing needs;
- coordinate and conduct the interview process and make hiring and termination decisions for all staff;
- supervise all staff;
- coordinate, supervise, and conduct the evaluations of all staff; and
- develop and supervise new teacher programs.
School Environment and Facilities Management – To effectively manage the facilities and the School environment, the principal must:
- supervise all students;
- implement and enforce attendance and tardy policies and procedures for all students;
- enforce the discipline plan and assist teachers with all concerns and issues related to student behavior;
- develop and implement School rules and regulations;
- plan, implement, supervise, and evaluate all non-academic programs, (i.e., athletics, extra-curricular, co-curricular);
- plan and participate in special events; and
- assume responsibility for the buildings, grounds, equipment and supplies of the School; supervise the work of the custodians and maintenance staff, reporting to the governing board the conditions and needs of the School.
Finances – To provide sound fiscal leadership, the principal must:
- supervise and coordinate the budgetary process;
- ensure that the School is operating within the set budget; and
- oversee the proper financial record keeping processes and maintain inventory control of all School resources.
Public Relations – To champion the mission and vision of the School within the School community and the community at large, the principal must:
- recruit students and faculty for the School as needed;
- facilitate frequent communication to the parents of the School community;
- interpret the educational program of the School and School system to the community;
- establish business partnerships and positive relationships with community leaders; and
- initiate fundraising activities.
Professional Development – The principal must lead by example regarding continuing education and professional development. To lead effectively in these areas, the principal must:
- participate successfully in the training programs offered to increase the individual’s skill and proficiency related to the assignment;
- review current developments, literature, and technical sources of information related to job responsibility; and
- be familiar with Charter School Laws and Florida Statutes, understand how they may impact the School, and report to the Board regarding any significant changes or developments.
Administrative –To ensure administrator duties are implemented effectively, the principal must:
- oversee the grade reporting system;
- monito substitute teachers and the class coverage process;
- supervise and coordinate student registration, scheduling, and master scheduling construction;
- maintain records such as but not limited to student test scores, attendance records, overseeing IEPs, and all other reports as needed for efficient operation of the School and compliance with federal, state and local requirements; and
- attend and participate in meetings of the Board and its committees as requested.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: http://itjobpro.com/133158 →