|Under minimal supervision, the Principal Engineer I will be responsible for engineering activities that maintain and enhance the company’s telecommunications and signal processing hardware, software and electrical systems. Works with technical operations staff on system design and configuration. Works with design teams and advises team leaders.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Actively and consistently support all efforts to simplify and enhance the customer experience.
- Designs, implements, monitors, enhances and troubleshoots systems in assigned areas.
- Analyzes and revises existing system logic difficulties and documentation as necessary.
- Tests and reviews system designs.
- Provides Engineering Technical support and guidance to regional personnel and ensure all technical integration, changes, standards and documentation are met.
- Mentors and guides the work of technical staff.
- Reviews work plans and designs and advises on improvements.
- Adheres to industry specific local, state, and federal regulations, as applicable.
- Applicant must be able to participate effectively on team and enterprise projects.
- Applicant must know or quickly learn the technical and business working environment through initiative and direction from senior staff and/or peers.
- The applicant must assist in mentoring of team members and co-workers relating to the job function and demonstrate leadership through technical knowledge, interpersonal skills, business knowledge, organizational skills and professionalism.
- Engineering work experience 5 + years
- Project management work experience 5 + years
- Basic knowledge of related industry specifications and standards IEEE, ANSI, Fiber (Multimode, Single mode, UTP, etc.), Bridging, Switching, Routing, Ethernet and Transport technologies and protocols
- Basic knowledge in network design, network architecture, protocols and network topology
- Basic knowledge in TCP/IP and the OSI Model
- Masters or Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or related field or related work experience
RELATED WORK EXPERIENCE:
- Ability to effectively communicate with employees, customers, suppliers, in person, on the phone, and by written communications in a clear, straight-forward, and professional manner.
- Industry and vendor specific certifications and training preferred (Cisco, Juniper, Alcatel-Lucent, etc.)
- Knowledge of relevant disciplines (VMWare, SBC, VoIP Switch, SIP protocol, etc.)
- Demonstrates critical thinking skills during stressful or complex projects.
- Solid understanding of personal computer and software applications.
- CCNA/CCIE or other industry certifications.
- Ideal candidate will have 3 years of systems administration. Relevant experience may be a substitute for education.
- Experience with VMWare vRealize Suite, vCloud Director, and vSphere Platform.
- Experience with VMware vSphere and vCenter upgrades (vSphere 5.5 to 6.x).
- Experience with VMware guest’s migration; from one site/location to another.
- Familiar with Cisco and HPe server hardware; remote management such as UCS Manager and iLO.
- Familiar with information system architecture to include systems, storage, networking components; extensive knowledge of existing industry standards, technologies and infrastructure operations.
- Solid understanding of common word processing, spreadsheet, Presentation, Design software and concepts.Firm grasp of TCP/IP standard applications (Telnet, SSH, FTP, HTTP)