Summary:The Manager serves as a member of the Engineering group, whose primary job is to manage the creativity and innovation of all parties engaged in the work. It requires balancing two conflicting concerns: the technical and managerial aspects of the project, where technical are the specific deliverables and the managerial handles the broader organization with financial, resource and timeframes of the project. This role manages the context of the project and helps the technical team create and deliver the content of the project. The four key success factors for the manager are the Scope, Objectives, Strategy and Quality of the project deliverables.
Most literature about project management is pretty dry and almost ‘cold’. At Heartland we don’t share this view, and see this job as a creative, challenging and rewarding activity, especially in a software engineering team. What follows is a somewhat different than usual perspective on the job of a Project Manager.
A Project Manager organizes and facilitate the tasks for technical teams, supporting release planning, meetings, performance reporting, project reviews, risk management and team retrospectives, ensuring that work is done on an honorable and honest way, monitoring for conflicts of interest within the team, observing and addressing that there is the necessary competence and confidence to perform the work efficiently and effectively while protecting the interests, privacy and confidentiality of the company and its customers, helping management avoid harm to the economic and professional interests of all stakeholders.
– Guide the team through the Software Development Lifecycle process
– Help define, document and manage changes (if and when they happen) to project scope and objectives (this includes requirements, specifications, designs and implementation plans)
– Validate and monitor the project cost and benefit assumptions
– Control product quality and monitor for any compromises that may happen
– Manage project risks and risk changes, keeping the sponsors aware at all times of the project status
– Monitor team member satisfaction with the project and morale of the team through the life of the project
– Requirements management and documentation
– Scheduling and identification of key assumptions, critical paths and dependencies between people, resources and constraints in a project
– Understanding of software architectures, software systems, application development
– Clear and concise written and verbal communication skills
– Able to communicate and maintain composure under pressure and to senior-level managers (stakeholders) within and outside the company, to customers and business partners
– Awareness of quality factors in software projects, quality assurance and testing processes
– Ability to quantify information statistically, in order to analyze and report on risks, quality and schedule factors
– Four-year college degree or equivalent experience relevant to the job – advanced degree (e.g. Masters) is a bonus
– Excellent organizational skills
– Highly motivated with the ability to work on multiple project phases simultaneously
Desirable Skills and Experience
– Experience in managing software development projects
– Proficiency in data collection, cleanup, manipulation and reporting with spreadsheet applications and other data modeling tools
– Coordination and collaboration with geographically distributed teams
– Agile development practices, both process and technical: Kanban/Scrum cadence, Test-Driven Development, Refactoring, Evolving Architectures, among others
– Understanding of the restaurant business
We are an EOE F/M/D/V.
Global Payments, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color creed, religion, sex, national origin, age, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected status. Those applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application and/or interview process should notify a representative of the Human Resources Department.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required.
Apply on Company Website
Job ID: R4793
Help us improve CareerBuilder by providing feedback about this job: .
For your privacy and protection, when applying to a job online, never give your social security number to a prospective employer, provide credit card or bank account information, or perform any sort of monetary transaction. Learn more.
By applying to a job using CareerBuilder you are agreeing to comply with and be subject to the CareerBuilder Terms and Conditions for use of our website. To use our website, you must agree with the Terms and Conditions and both meet and comply with their provisions.
Heartland Payment Systems
We began in 1997 with a modest plan: to provide fair, honest and fully disclosed payment solutions to help businesses prosper. Never veering from our roots or our convictions, that plan has taken us and our clients to places most businesses could only dream of. Contact Info
– Charlotte, NC
To apply for this job please visit itjobpro.com.