Perl in the cloud?! Are we nuts? With some mods, retrofits, and containerization we plan to make it happen and we’d like your help. We are looking for senior software engineers that can straddle the old and the new. You’ll be hacking into mod_perl applications, Berkeley DB databases, and NFS file systems, eliminating local dependencies, and modernizing the infrastructure. You’ll be working with a team of developers with both similar and complementary skills in a cross-disciplinary agile environment.
* Extensive understanding of Object Oriented Perl Programming and Design
* Experience developing web applications in Apache/mod_perl
* Working knowledge of Linux OS environment and basic shell scripting
* Well-rounded knowledge of web servers, data structures, relational DB design, caching strategies
* Experience with MySQL, MongoDB, Memcache, Redis, and/or equivalent SQL and NoSQL technologies
* Very strong understanding of low-level MySQL database design considerations, including: when and why to use different storage engines, knowledge of the different types of indexes and how they work, how to optimize for reads or writes, ability to set up replication and clustering
* Experience with unit, integration, and regression testing
* Ability to work in a collaborative, innovative, flexible and team-oriented environment
* Familiarity with using version control systems (SVN and git)
* Knowledge of sports and fantasy gaming products are a plus
* Outstanding software development skills
* Testing / debugging
* Good written and verbal communication, including with non-technical people
* Ability and interest to learn new technologies on the fly, as they become needed
* The ability and interest to learn is one of our most desired attributes in a candidate. If you can demonstrate an aptitude to dig in up to your elbows and build experience in new technologies as you deliver projects utilizing those technologies successfully, your application will move to the top of the pile.
Who are you, Workstate?
Workstate is a technology consulting company, built by technologists, for technologists. Throughout our 20-year history weve been on a mission to create the best home for people who love to build. Who are we? Were builders.
How we build.
At Workstate, building doesnt just apply to technology.
We apply it to everything we do — building relationships, skillsets, retirement accounts, technical knowledge, music collections, recipe files, dad joke collections, movie recommendations, travel logs, childhood toy recollections and more. So much more. We build to last.
But, the technology…
No matter what were building, the technology forms the backbone of all our projects. Were not purists, though. We choose the technology to fit the circumstance; we dont force the circumstance into a preferred tech stack. We love to build, and we love to learn new ways to build. In any given project, you may find yourself working with:
* Full stack application frameworks like .NET, J2EE, PHP MVC (Symfony, Laravel, Yii, &c.)
* Technologies for moving and analyzing data, such as Python, Hadoop, HBase, Spark, Kafka, RabbitMQ, clustered, and highly scalable systems.
* Native, serverless cloud solutions on any of the big three: AWS, Azure, and Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
* State of the art SDLC techniques utilizing CI/CD, build automation, orchestration tools, you name it.
A comprehensive list would be impossible. Containers? Got em. Machine Learning? That pops up, too. And, so on.
We love building. We get to build all day at work. Therefore, we love coming to work. But we emphasize home, family and personal time as essential to overall well-being. This is reflected in our benefits:
* We cover 100% of Health, Dental, Vision and Life insurance premiums for our employees and their families.
* 12 – 14 paid holiday days per year (includes most recognized federal holidays, as well as the week between Christmas and New Years.)
* 20 days of paid time off per year.
* Sick time as needed.
Are we for you?
We like it here, but we recognize were not for everyone. Were not just here to write code. Were here to build lasting relationships with delighted clients. This requires strong interpersonal skills, a collaborative mindset, organizational savvy, and a talent for circumventing and resolving conflict.
This is not to say that we expect everyone to have these skills fully developed upon hire. If the thought of developing and utilizing these skills is appealing, then we might be for you.
What else, what else, what else…
What else? Our headquarters is across the street from the historic North Market, at the intersection of the Short North and Downtown Columbus. Were a five minute walk from Nationwide Arena. Oh, and we have free parking for all our employees, also available over the weekend and after hours.
We have a catered team lunch in our office every Friday where people working at a client site converge with people working in the office to reconnect, swap stories, and talk about what theyve been doing.
We throw a pretty enjoyable, family-friendly, year end party. The past few years weve rented out a party tower at Nationwide Arena for a hockey game.
To apply for this job please visit itjobpro.com.