Senior DevOps Engineer
Do you dare to reinvent the future of education?
At Cengage, we are harnessing the power of tech to build a future where all learners have the tools and confidence to achieve their ******** a Cengage employee you will pioneer transforming the way people learn. Collaborating with the best of the best, you will feel challenged and inspired to do breakthrough work. With the support of our united team, there is no limit to what you can imagine, create and set in motion.
Are we right for you?
We bring our ‘A’ game, unique talents and point of view to the table every day. We are curious and comfortable with change and are willing to take risks to transform education. Most importantly, everything we do, we do for the learner. Our business goal is to provide dynamic and comprehensive on-line learning experiences for instructors and students in Higher Education. Focus for the Dev Ops/Senior Systems Engineer – Cloud will be on support of our external cloud infrastructure, assisting application teams with DevOps processes and tools to build, operate, and support application environments in the cloud. The position will be responsible for operation of a large hybrid infrastructure operating in the Amazon Cloud and in the Cengage Data Center. Focus on DevOps processes and tools supporting agile application development teams leading to continuous integration, test, and deploy methods. Assist with application integration and troubleshooting in this infrastructure for a complex application environment, including management of dependencies on services, platforms, and other applications within the Cengage Learning infrastructure. DevOps creation and operation of process automation and tooling to implement standards and boundaries in a way that empowers our applications teams to help themselves for their infrastructure and deployment needs.
What You’ll Do Here:
– Act as a consultative resource for our application teams to provide technical guidance, standards, knowledge and understanding of processes, and tools to deliver Internet facing learning products and services.
– Define DevOps best practices for our application teams and assist them in engaging these processes.
– Support application teams in their use of our home-grown systems provisioning automation tool.
– Ownership and support of configuration management and deployment automation tools, including Nexus, Puppet, Ansible, Jenkins, Jira, and Sonar.
– Ownership and support of monitoring tools including LogicMonitor, AppNeta, ELK (ElasticSearch/LogStash/Kibana), and DynaTrace.
– Provide consultative assistance to application teams in leveraging automation and monitoring tools for continuous improvement of application deployments and monitoring.
– Assist application teams in leveraging external and internal cloud services features such as elastic capacity auto-scaling, elastic load balancing, right-sizing, disaster recovery strategies, and tiered storage.
– Assist in implementation of security best practices and initiatives at all levels of the infrastructure.
– Assist in managing third party organization for 724 monitoring and first response.
– Act as second level engineering support for incidents, engaging the third party, as well as application teams and our cloud services provider for troubleshooting and problem solving.
– Assist in monitoring and controlling our spend rate for platforms in the external cloud.
– Ensure maximum uptime of cloud hosted environments, including production, staging, testing, authoring, and development environments.
– Keep up to date with developments in the e-Learning, technology, and DevOps fields through educational and other information resources and make our team aware of possible applications for new technologies and methods.
Skills You Will Need Here:
– Bachelor’s degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, Business or Engineering or equivalent job related experience.
– Must have an excellent command of:
– Red Hat Linux and/or Suse Linux Operating System.
– Apache and Tomcat web application environments.
– Configuration management tools and methods.
– Deployment automation tools and methods.
– Amazon cloud hosting.
– Scripting in Shell, PHP, Python, and/or PERL.
– Experience in working with and managing third party service providers in support of application technology platforms.
– Must possess experience designing, building, maintaining, migrating, tuning, administering, supporting, and problem solving in complex server environments, working collaboratively with applications, network and systems teams to resolve problems.
– Must have excellent written and oral communications, including technical documents, and process documents.
– Must possess excellent problem-solving and analytical skills and be able to translate business requirements into information systems solutions.
– This position demands a well-organized, action-oriented team player with the ability to prioritize daily work, change directions quickly, manage geographically dispersed cross-functional virtual teams and work on multiple projects simultaneously.
– Solid understanding of current open stack web-enabling technologies including web enterprise servers on Linux, Apache, Tomcat, MySQL/Oracle database, scripting, clustering and other high-availability architectures, various web and administrative tools, along with exposure to three-tier web application development.
– Ability to work with minimal supervision, engaging peers and other departments to accomplish assigned goals and effectively execute projects in a cross-functional environment.
– ID#: *********
– Location: Farmington, MI
– Type: Engineering
– Company: Cengage
– View More Jobs!
– Post your resume
– Create an Alert
– Found a mis-fit listing? Report it
To apply for this job please visit itjobpro.com.