Thermo Fisher Scientific
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work. Surrounded by collaborative colleagues, you’ll have the support and opportunities that only a global leader can give you. Our respected, growing organization has an exceptional strategy for the near term and beyond. Take your place on our strong team, and help us make significant contributions to the world.
As a Senior Software Scientist, you will be joining the market leader in Mass Spectrometry and will work on one of the most vibrant and rapidly evolving fields in computational biology that seeks to integrate data streams and biological knowledge from several areas of omics research.
Our Senior Software Scientist is expected to have a thorough understanding of the latest technology innovations in Mass Spectrometry and customer use cases. The candidate should have a strong background and relevant industry experience in Life Sciences and omics research.
As a Scientist/Developer you will develop Liquid Chromatography Mass Spectrometry (LCMS) algorithms using big data distributed computing frameworks such as Spark, Hadoop and AWS Lambda. The ideal candidate will have extensive LCMS algorithm development experience as well as experience in Spark and HDFS file formats. The Scientist/Engineer will develop algorithm logic, create testing frameworks for validation and apply software engineering principles to create code libraries for our big data processing pipeline.
In this role, you will drive projects to completion while ensuring acceptance by stakeholders. You will develop ideas and technologies for our next generation products. You will communicate and present results to all levels of the organization including peers, senior management and internal customers as needed. You will consult with internal and external stakeholders to characterize and improve the performance of scientific workflow instances, as assigned. In this role, you will prepare and author technical reports, documentation, and research papers in scientific journals. You will also present results at technical conferences and participate in development of intellectual property.
- Develop algorithms solving the most challenging customer problems targeted for next generation applications.
- Harness knowledge of customer use cases and bioinformatics skills, develop innovative ideas and technologies to significantly improve Thermo Fisher Scientific’s software products.
- Develop and execute a vision for scaling our algorithms to improve performance.
- Design, develop, optimize, and validate robust algorithms for the analysis of mass spectrometry data and the development of prototypes for demonstrating the application of these algorithms.
- Lead research and development initiatives.
- Act as a mentor with senior level skills to the software development team providing direction on the product and verifying that the product meets customer’s needs.
- Mentor other developers on technology, technical approach, project execution, and domain skills.
- Provide scientific expertise particularly in the areas of omics, chemistry and mass spectrometry as needed by the project.
Minimum Requirements and Qualifications:
- Strong bioinformatics background and experience developing algorithms for signal processing, statistics, machine learning, data analysis and pattern recognition.
- Understand established mathematical principles and algorithms associated with processing spectroscopic data.
- Experience and strong understanding of omics – Proteomics, Metabolomics, etc..
- 8+ years of experience in Python or a scripting language (Perl , etc), Matlab, or R.
- A track record of achievement and delivering on significant responsibilities in a timely fashion.
- Comfortable with and effective at expressing and exchanging ideas, concepts and designs in a group setting.
- Takes ownership of tasks and drives them to completion.
- Comfortable working within an international team and in a dynamic, flexible environment.
- Strong interpersonal, written and oral communication skills.
- A college degree, preferably related to chemistry, physics, mathematics or software development.
- Previous experience developing commercial software products.
- Experience with C++, Java or C# and cloud hosted applications (i.e. AWS, Azure).
- Functional programming experience.
- Experience with Data Mining and Neural Networks.
- Experience in MapReduce programming with Spark and Hadoop Distributed File System (HDFS) and with processing large data stores.
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of more than $20 billion and approximately 65,000 employees globally. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics, deliver medicines to market and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive services.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: http://itjobpro.com/98291 →