UX Design Lead
REPORTS TO: Development Manager; AGILE, QA, UX
FULL TIME/PART TIME: Full Time
SECURITY LEVEL: C
As a User Experience (UX) Design Lead, you will be responsible for ensuring an excellent user experience across Emergency Reporting software. You will work alongside product owners, developers, and business stakeholders to drive an agile, user-centered design approach. This role embodies a passionate, pragmatic design leader that can synthesize customer needs and behaviors, identify problem or opportunities, and translate insights and requirements into intuitive and elegant user experiences.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF ALL EMPLOYEES:
- Strive to exhibit ER’s Valued Employee Attributes to support our company values and culture.
- Adhere to applicable policies and procedures.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF EVERYONE IN THIS DEPARTMENT:
- Understand and collaborate effectively in ER’s Agile Organization, using SAFe (Scaled Agile Framework), Scrum, and Kanban methodologies and striving to become proficient in our tools and processes.
- Ability to effectively and consistently communicate, and collaborate with teammates, sponsors, and stakeholders.
- Be an active part of defining and following best practices around engineering excellence and contribute positively toward ER’s continuous improvement.
- Abide by ER’s Core Values and seek to be the best team member you can be.
- Pursue any relevant continuing education/training to keep up with best practices for engineering excellence.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Help the organization build a culture of empathy for users as a key input to any business or product development effort.
- Drive the design process from user research and ideation, through design iteration and user testing, to a final design.
- Understand and incorporate complex technical and business requirements into design requirements.
- Close collaboration and partnerships with end-users and subject matter experts, product owners and teams, as well as product and technology counterparts.
- Collect and analyze user behavior through in-person and remote user interactions as well as surveys, online experiments, benchmark studies, and usage analytics.
- Coordinate and manage user panels to support on-going prototyping and concept validation efforts.
- Work with product managers, designers and engineers to synthesize insights and help build consensus toward actionable outcomes.
- Frame and articulate research findings to diverse audiences in compelling and immersive ways including written reports, rich media, videos, mock-ups, annotated interfaces and oral presentations.
- Lead and mentor a team of researchers, visual designers, and user experience designers.
- Communicate, defend, and build consensus around all aspects of design and design direction.
- Work independently to create high quality UX deliverables. Including: personas, scenarios, user journey, wireframes, wire-flows, feature maps, design specifications, prototypes, styles guides, etc.
- Explore new ways of communicating product design concepts and supporting information to product stakeholders.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS
- Attend all-hands meetings, company trainings, or other company events.
QUALIFICATIONS – EDUCATION, LICENSES & EXPERIENCE:
- BA or MA degree in Human Centered Design, Interaction Design, Graphic Design, Industrial Design, Information Design, or equivalent education or experience.
- 7+ years of experience in relevant design discipline for consumer product experiences.
- Proven track record of working with technically complex systems and services.
- History of championing and evangelizing UX best practices and design patterns, as well as firm working knowledge of user research principles and techniques.
- Experience leading and/or managing a design program.
- Experience working as a Designer in a similar tech company (SaaS experience extremely beneficial).
- Highly motivated and a passionate people leader.
- Detailed knowledge of a prototyping tool such as Sketch, Figma, Framer, or Axure.
- Extensive experience running usability sessions and presenting feedback to stakeholders.
- Has a portfolio of previous relevant work (mobile and desktop).
- Ability be in the Bellingham office 3-5 days/week.
- Ability to balance design for complex systems with customer needs in mind vs. design trends.
- Detailed knowledge of LESS, HTML & CSS
- Passion for evangelizing the importance of UI/UX
- Experience working with Agile teams’ workflow
- Experience working with Usability Testing and UX Research outcomes
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Willingness to take direction from others and to accept and manage multiple feedback channels.
- Strong organization skills and ability to prioritize projects and manage multiple deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, problem solve and work independently within a team environment.
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills.
- Team player who is able to shift gears and adapt to changing priorities and demands.
- Computer proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Proficiency with the Adobe Creative Suite or similar.
- Knowledge of online UX tools to fit different needs.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with diverse groups of people on-site and remote.
- Incumbent is subject to a background check and appropriate security clearances.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
WORKING CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Travel: Some travel may be required.
- Mobility: Work is performed in an office setting and requires sitting for long periods of time. Must be able to move throughout the office to interact with employees.
- Hearing: Must be able to hear verbal conversations over the phone, using collaboration tools, and in-person with background noise.
- Vision: Must be able to consistently identify objects and persons at a distance and read fine print on various forms.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: http://itjobpro.com/104859 →