Position Type: Full-Time
Location: Washington, DC
What we do and offer our team
AGU is a global community of 130,000 Earth and space scientists, advocates and experts. As the Director, Digital Products, you will be part of a dynamic association that digitally publishes peer-reviewed journals and scientific books and convenes the largest physical and virtual Earth and space science meeting in the world. Through our initiatives, such as mentoring, professional development and awards, AGU upholds and fosters an inclusive and diverse scientific community.
AGU offers our employees great benefits, including flexible work schedules, retirement savings options, as well as health, dental, life and disability insurance. AGU also provides exciting opportunities for professional development and tuition support.
AGU’s Workplace Values
We believe in accountability and ownership of work, by taking responsibility for decisions and results. We believe in member and customer service, and that they come first through providing high quality service.
We believe in excellence and giving it our all, through striving to be outstanding. We believe in integrity by doing the right thing, we achieve this by being honest and fair.
Our teams believe that with teamwork together we achieve more, we achieve this through collaboration. We believe in respect, that you earn it and give it, by open communication and collaboration.
What the Director, Digital Products does
The Director, Digital Products position is key in assisting AGU accomplish its mission of promoting discovery in Earth and Space science for the benefit of humanity.
The Director, Digital Products conceives, defines, tests, delivers, monitors, refines and withdraws digital products in the market to maximize organizational results. The incumbent in this role conducts customer research in partnership with key stakeholders across staff, Board, Council, and membership-at-large to develop and convey product vision; and works with staff and vendors to turn an idea or concept into a well-designed product solution and sustain the end-to-end user experience.
Reporting directly to Chief Digital Officer, the Director serves as a liaison to other AGU departments to advance the digital strategy of organization.
- Collaborates with cross-functional teams of staff, Board, Council and member stakeholders to define new products that serve the Earth & space science community and/or deliver on the promise of existing digital products.
- Conducts ongoing research and user testing to determine user needs and viability of proposed functionality as well as the value or existing functionality.
- Maintains awareness of competitive environment to understand alternatives that users might use instead of AGU offerings.
- Develops and executes ongoing plans to understand market and user needs to drive product roadmap development.
- Facilitates and drives alignment among key stakeholders.
- Leads internal and partner software development teams to bring new ideas to life as well-designed product solutions and improve the user experience for existing digital products.
- Reviews user stories and test cases; provides approval on developed work.
- Owns release plans focused on delivering user impact with every release, oversees the review and prioritization of the backlog, providing any inputs needed.
- Delivers product improvements on a regular cadence via efficient Agile operations and DevOps methodologies where appropriate.
- Advocates for nonfunctional requirements and make sure that technical debt receives sufficient priority relative to functional requirements.
- Works within the established product budget established to deliver and maintain the product.
Works with key stakeholders to make frequent and dynamic prioritization decisions based on the latest product analytics, product team metrics and user feedback.
- Works closely with the Director, Digital Operations to deliver user-oriented success throughout a product’s entire lifecycle.
- Other duties as assigned.
What the Director, Digital Products brings to the team
- 10+ years of experience in web development and/or information systems with a Bachelor’s Degree, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience in a scientific, knowledge-based or technical setting is a plus, but not required.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills, and superior interpersonal skills; ability to communicate and interact easily and effectively with staff, AGU leaders, vendors, scientists, and researchers.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the product management discipline.
- Experience working with an agile software development team including the ability to manage multiple complex projects at the same time on a tight deadline.
- Basic familiarity with the principles of design thinking and DevOps delivery.
- Strong attention to detail a must.
- Ability to create and manage a budget.
- Strong critical thinking skills.
- Must be able to perform responsibilities with composure under the stress of deadlines.
- High degree of professionalism and accuracy.
- Ability to exercising highest level of discretion and sensitivity on both internal and external confidential matters.
- Ability to travel.
For consideration, please submit your cover letter and resume to
The successful candidate for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
AGU proudly offers a casual work environment, excellent compensation, generous work-life opportunities, and an outstanding benefits package.
AGU is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job please visit rew12.ultipro.com.