Greenville, WI 54942
School Specialty is an education company that provides innovative and proprietary products, programs, and services to help educators engage and inspire students of all ages and abilities to learn. Working in collaboration with educators, School Specialty reaches beyond the scope of textbooks to help teachers, guidance counselors, and school administrators ensure that every student reaches his or her full potential.
As part of School Specialty Inc., our mission is to be a partner in the educational process by providing teachers and parents with high-quality, K-12, inquiry-based, science supplemental and curriculum products that create effective, stimulating, and enriching learning experiences for students.
The Application Architect is responsible for business strategy understanding, application portfolio knowledge, architecture building blocks, package advocacy, buy vs. build analysis and guidance. The activities include establishing patterns, guidelines and templates for building and integrating applications according to the major delivery channels and quality of service characteristics that constitute a given enterprise’s range of application profiles. The primary objective is to reduce costs of application delivery through greater consistency of design, which reduces the number of different technical scenarios that require architectural design, operational support, integration architecture and staff training.
Summary of Essential Job Functions
– Work with an agile team building trust with the business and the team to achieve organizational, business owner, and process owner goals
– Work closely with the enterprise architect to ensure alignment of plans with what is being delivered
– Research innovative technologies to provide efficient and creative solutions to solve business problems
– Responsible for the development of prototypes and strawman applications supporting solving of business and technical problems
– Responsible for modelling solutions utilizing UML or other appropriate diagrams to model system and process behavior
– Use effective communication techniques to understand requirements and support issues, communicating status and direction to necessary team members
– Consult with business partners while emphasizing a solution in design and business requirements
– Responsible for overall solution integrity of large and complex solutions, providing direction to other Solution Architects on technology and design choices
– Engage in project communications with business partners using a consultative approach
– Anticipate obstacles and recommend options as they relate to the solution
– Focus on business value and satisfaction while balancing corporate objectives, feasibility and scalability of solution
– Define and adhere to solution standards, estimates, processes, policies and procedures
– Utilize standard methodologies to promote consistency and drive adherence to standards within designated teams
– Familiar with other department’s methodologies including project management and development methodologies
– Identify areas of process improvement that drive profit enhancement and business value and instill that mindset while contributing through others
– Educate management, affected teams, and business partners through communications at the appropriate technical granularity
– Share best practices and incorporate lessons learned into estimates, standards, and protocols
– Work with internal product teams to provide feedback to the appropriate lines of business or product team to ensure produces and/or enhances products that can meet the ever-changing business needs of our business
– Keep informed and evaluate the latest industry news, trends, products, services, competitors and relevant existing and emerging technologies
– Lead scoping and estimation efforts for new projects as assigned
– Maintain subject matter expertise in industry technologies, verticals and lines of business in order to help align business needs to products, solutions and services offered. Document and share best practices and case studies
– A 4-year college degree (preferably in computer science or business)
– 10+ years of experience in application design
– Proven track record of ability to exhibit and demonstrate leadership as well as contributing through others on major projects
– Self-directed and able to lead complex solutions
– Ability to interface with high-level business stakeholders and communicate effectively, recognizing each group demands a different level of communication / presentation style
– Ability to provide technical leadership and oversight to the team including any role(s) required to deliver solution enhancement, modifications, issues management or research for business
– Ability to effectively communicate the business benefits of a technical solution
– Expertise in two integration tools (Mulesoft, SSIS, Informatica, ODI, etc.)
– Experience in object oriented programming languages (Java, C++, .Net, etc)
– Demonstrated experience with design creation, elicitation, and planning
– Demonstrate the ability to take detailed, highly technical concepts and present to business in a high-level, non-technical fashion
– Web applications architectural knowledge AND experience
– Web apps security knowledge AND experience
– Experience in technical roles and architect roles
– Experience working in an external client facing environment
– Experience with change management procedures
NICE TO HAVE:
– Experience in tools like; Jira, MuleSoft, EBS, MDM, and IBM E-commerce
– The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
– School Specialty, Inc. is a Drug Free Workplace. All applicants are subject to a drug screen and background check as a condition of employment.
– EEO/AA including Vets and Disabled
– If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
To apply for this job please visit itjobpro.com.