Core Ops Cloud Database Administrator
The Core Ops DBA is responsible for safeguarding the business data in the database, and delivery of databases support. The role will serve as a database expert consultant to provide database technology solutions meeting business and application needs. It will provide architectural guidelines to build and maintain scalable database environments and will be responsible to assist the DBA Lead to continually engineer a database service and database technical solution that meets dynamic business/IT requirements. The Core Ops DBA acts as a database technology subject matter expert, and works with cross functional teams in building, scalable enterprise solutions hosted in cloud (Azure/AWS).
This role is based in Houston, Texas.
Your future duties and responsibilities
• Develop and implement standards and best practices for database administration.
• Hands-on experience in either Azure cloud platforms
• Automation & Evergreening Database landscape components
• Recommend solutions by defining database physical structure and functional capabilities, database security, data back-up, and recovery specifications
• Manage and maintain database architecture including database replication, disaster recovery, and backups strategy. Participate in disaster recovery planning and testing.
• Manage database capacity including sizing estimation, growth planning, usage monitoring and alerts.
• Implement database performance monitoring and fault monitoring. Promote continuous improvement
• Establish and maintain performance baselines, troubleshoot performance issues and provide recommendations/fixes for identified issues.
• Responsible to ensure Application tuning, configuration and administration to deliver optimal performance of applications.
• Responsible to ensure the Application portfolio is compliant with the relevant IT controls and information security standards & baselines.
• Ensure that end-to-end performance is monitored and maintained to high level of quality, standards, supportability and operability as defined within negotiated and agreed Service Level Agreements (SLAs) and to propose and implement necessary Service Improvements
• Provide user support and consultancy service to Application and Infrastructure Developments teams and projects (i.e. assisting development in writing and tuning of SQL and PL/SQL code)
• Responsible to provide consulting in relation to data technology, architecture, modelling and design.
• Ensure the reviewing of releases, upgrades and fixes available from database software suppliers and subscribed security organizations and identify those which merit action.
• Ownership of coordination with vendor support services regarding database problems and issues.
• Ownership of problem and situation management calls and undertake root cause analysis on situations or major incidents related to databases.
• Escalation point for operation-related issues. Manage and coordinate S@R and Situations.
• Manage the Implementation, compliance with and maintaining security as per Security Incident Process.
• Manage the demand and the implementation of planned and emergency database changes according to defined Change Control procedures and policies and in conjunction with Application Development Teams.
• Documenting standards and procedures. Ensure licensing agreement compliance with DBMS and DBMS related software.
• Maintain a "master" level of knowledge of our Client Group Information Security Standard
• Operates under general direction. Assignments are very broad in nature and of the highest level of complexity. Able to impact beyond area of responsibility.
Dimensions and Special Challenges:
• Ability to effectively communicate with internal and external stakeholders and deliver practical solutions taking multiple agendas into account
• Capacity to manage complex interfaces across organizational and geographic boundaries in both the Project team and the service delivery teams. This requires the capability to manage multiple tasks and have the ability to network / influence to achieve results.
• Must show initiative and drive in identifying opportunities to save cost, time and improve efficiencies within the DBA area and have the ability to drive the solutions in cloud space.
• Must be willing to be on-call and/or work shifts/overtime and/or weekends as necessary for applications and systems support and maintenance.
• Must occasionally work US overlap hours to connect with global team members (can take calls/meetings remotely)
Required qualifications to be successful in this role
• Educated to degree level, preferably in Information Technology
• 5-8+ years of experience as a Database Administrator in an IT application support environment supporting critical business applications.
• Deep knowledge of infrastructure landscapes including underlying infrastructure concepts
• Firm understanding of ITIL processes, programming standards, operating Infrastructure, operating Systems, storage
• Mandatory Automation skills using OEM, PL/SQL, Shell Scripting, PowerShell etc
• Experience in Day to day administration of Oracle 19c on Linux/Unix operating systems with knowledge of SQL, PL/SQL, Automation
• Deep knowledge of Oracle RDBMS technologies such as RMAN, DataGuard, Golden Gate, Real Application testing, Advanced Compression and partitioning features.
• Knowledge on SQL Server 2016/2019, Azure SQL & SQL Managed Instance
• Database replication technologies (Always On, Database Mirroring, Log Shipping)
• Proven performance tuning skills (especially in a data warehouse environment)
• Experience in database environments life cycle management and support of production and development environments.
• Troubleshooting and resolving performance issues and knowledge of related tools AWR, ADDM, OEM, SQL tuning
• Ability to establish/maintain best practices, processes and procedures for Database.
• Able to self-direct and take initiative; able to deliver through others.
• Experience in working collaboratively with vendors, customers, stakeholder management
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
• Strong supplier management skills
• Cross-functional DB skills – extensive MSSQL Server (2016,2017, 2019) together with Oracle (19c)
• Beneficial to have experience with IT project management, coordination or participation
• Ability to operate in a global, virtual cross cultural organization, working in different time zones.
• Ability to build credibility and relationships with business leaders.
• Ability to influence others and work through others to deliver the desired results.
• Be able to work under pressure. Deliver solutions fast, but to quality standards and in a compliant way
• DEV OPS implementation experience.
• Knowledge and understanding of ETL tools and Integration Services.
• Knowledge of Amazon Cloud and Windows Azure Database Hosting
Insights you can act on
While technology is at the heart of our clients' digital transformation, we understand that people are at the heart of business success.
When you join CGI, you become a trusted advisor, collaborating with colleagues and clients to bring forward actionable insights that deliver meaningful and sustainable outcomes. We call our employees "members" because they are CGI shareholders and owners and owners who enjoy working and growing together to build a company we are proud of. This has been our Dream since 1976, and it has brought us to where we are today – one of the world's largest independent providers of IT and business consulting services.
At CGI, we recognize the richness that diversity brings. We strive to create a work culture where all belong and collaborate with clients in building more inclusive communities. As an equal-opportunity employer, we want to empower all our members to succeed and grow. If you require an accommodation at any point during the recruitment process, please let us know. We will be happy to assist.
Ready to become part of our success story? Join CGI – where your ideas and actions make a difference.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, ethnicity, ancestry, color, sex, religion, creed, age, national origin, citizenship status, disability, pregnancy, medical condition, military and veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or perceived sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, and gender expression, familial status, political affiliation, genetic information, or any other legally protected status or characteristics.
CGI provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. If you need an accommodation to apply for a job in the U.S., please email the CGI U.S. Employment Compliance mailbox at US_Employment_Compliance@cgi.com . You will need to reference the requisition number of the position in which you are interested. Your message will be routed to the appropriate recruiter who will assist you. Please note, this email address is only to be used for those individuals who need an accommodation to apply for a job. Emails for any other reason or those that do not include a requisition number will not be returned.
We make it easy to translate military experience and skills! Click here to be directed to our site that is dedicated to veterans and transitioning service members.
All CGI offers of employment in the U.S. are contingent upon the ability to successfully complete a background investigation. Background investigation components can vary dependent upon specific assignment and/or level of US government security clearance held. CGI will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrests and conviction records in accordance with all local regulations and ordinances.
CGI will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with CGI's legal duty to furnish information.
- Database Administration
- Shell Script
To apply for this job please visit itjobpro.com.