Are you passionate about providing real impact to the country’s toughest national security problems?
Are you searching for engaging work with an employer that prioritizes continual innovation?
Our team is looking to provide our nation with ground-breaking capabilities that bridge the gaps between data, real-world people and events and the prediction of events of national importance.
To succeed, we need talented engineers, scientists, and developers! We are looking for individuals with curiosity and a drive for learning!
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, is located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC.
The CWMD Analytic Systems Group of the Asymmetric Operations Sector is looking for a Data Scientist to develop inventive, cutting-edge prototype solutions for challenges in machine learning and artificial intelligence. This may involve:
* Conducting research to engineer practical solutions to data analytics challenges
* Developing software frameworks to manage and analyze streaming intelligence data from various sources
* Collaborating with Laboratory, for-profit contractors, and sponsor teams to address critical sponsor needs
* Effectively communicating results with non-expert audiences, and generating innovative ideas to benefit the country
Duties (Listed in order of importance with the estimated amount of time spent at each task):
1. Develop state-of-the-art machine learning and data mining algorithms to operate on very large data sets collected under challenging operational environments, and to provide robust situation assessment/awareness and predictive capabilities of potential future threats. (55%)
2. Perform prototype implementation of the algorithms developed (35%)
3. Share knowledge by clearly articulating ideas through papers and presentations to technical staff, management and government decision makers. Publish research findings in peer-reviewed literature. Collaborate to document and support software analytics (10%)
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
PhD in Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or related field with emphasis on computer science and optimization; strong research and problem solving skills; experience dealing with real-world large data sets; experience with pattern recognition, statistical analysis and machine learning; fluent, with hands-on experience with some of the following implementation languages: Python, R, Matlab, JAVA, or C /C; ability to work independently or within a group; excellent verbal and written communication skills; strong analytical and organizational skills; demonstrated initiative; ability to work on, and set priorities for, multiple, dynamic projects to react to changing national security requirements.
Proven track record in designing and developing machine learning and data mining algorithms for solving interdisciplinary problems, emphasis on computer science and optimization; experience with data-driven predictive model development, unstructured text mining, natural language processing, anomaly and novelty detection.
Special Working Conditions:
Some limited travel (up to 10%) to customer sites may be required. Occasional weekend and other after-hours work required to handle and/or complete critical project/work-related business needs.
Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at **************.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab (APL) is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual identity, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
To apply for this job please visit itjobpro.com.