Call for Applications: Information Technology Systems Specialist Consultant
Location: Washington, DC or Remote
Deadline to receive Letter of Interest: March 1, 2021
Organization: EarthRights International, a non-governmental, non-profit organization that combines the power of law and the power of people in defense of human rights and the environment, seeks an experienced Information Technology Systems Specialist to help build and carry out EarthRights’ global and US advocacy agenda on climate justice and accountability. The position will work closely with EarthRights’ teams in the US, Mekong, and Amazon to carry out advocacy activities vis-à-vis governments, corporations, and international institutions in support of climate-related goals and objectives within the organization’s 2020-24 Strategic Plan.
Scope: EarthRights is procuring a systems administrator to support 70 staff in four offices (Peru, Myanmar, Thailand and the United States). The Systems Administrator will be responsible for the following duties: providing ongoing system support to all offices, onboarding and training all staff, and providing on-call help desk.
Terms: Monthly retainer with billable help-desk 24/7 for up to 12 months; renewable based on performance.
Responsibilities for IT Systems Specialist
- Responsible for the maintenance, configuration, and reliable operation of computer systems, network servers, and virtualization.
- Install and upgrade computer components and software, manage virtual servers, and integrate automation processes.
- Secure the EarthRights systems and infrastructure, train staff and be a self-motivated individual who can lead responses to often complex information security threats and incidents.
- Troubleshoot hardware and software errors by running diagnostics, documenting problems and resolutions, prioritizing problems, and assessing impact of issues.
- Install, upgrade, support and troubleshoot Windows 7/10, Mac and Microsoft Office 365 and any other authorized desktop applications.
- Email and User account administration, i.e., account creation and management and distribution lists on O365 and password resets on Active Directory.
- Responsible for tracking hardware and software inventory.
- Help identify gaps in existing security architecture and recommend improvements.
- Request and coordinate vendor support.
- Escalate issues and involve experts wherever required to resolve issues as quickly as possible.
- Develop sound understanding of IT operations and related applications and IT systems as well as business related processes and procedures.
- Provide documentation and technical specifications to IT staff for planning and implementing new or upgrades of IT infrastructure.
- Perform or delegate regular backup operations and implement appropriate processes for data protection, disaster recovery, and failover procedures.
- Lead desktop and helpdesk support efforts, making sure all desktop applications, workstations, and related equipment problems are resolved in a timely manner with limited disruptions.
- Maintain and consistently demonstrate a general knowledge of company guidelines, processes, practices and procedures.
Qualifications of individual consultant or business
- Associate or Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, System Administration, or a closely related field, or equivalent experience required
- 3-5 years of network administration or system administration experience
- Experience with scripting and automation tools
System administration and IT certifications in Linux, Microsoft, or other network related fields are a plus
- Strong knowledge of systems and networking software, hardware, and networking protocols
- Solid understanding of VPN, remote access, wireless routers, mobile devices and firewalls required
- Strong knowledge of security – including user level (e.g. training staff) and technical level (e.g. implementing baseline configurations and standards, whitelisting/blacklisting, EDR, incident response, initial triage)
- Strong knowledge of dealing with complex threat actors a plus – for example vulnerability assessment, pen testing, malware analysis, threat hunting, threat intelligence and experience or certification – e.g SANS, CEH
- Experience and/or ability in training staff with a wide variety of background and knowledge in information security, hardware, encryption, etc.?
- Working knowledge of virtualization, in particular shifting to and usage of Microsoft 365 environments and MDM/BYOD
- A proven track record of developing and implementing IT strategy and plans
- Experience with implementing standards such as CIS20, ADA8, Cyber Essentials, SAFETAG a plus
- Experience with utilizing tools often used by civil society a plus – Signal, Matrix, Tor, VPNs, Psiphon, Umbrella, VeraCrypt, Guardian Project etc.
- Connections or ability to network with peers and organizations within the wider civil society/internet freedom community for threat information sharing a plus
- Washington DC (DMV) area location preferable but not required
Applications: Please send Letter of Interest that includes qualifications and approach to fulfil needs with a short proposal of terms and rates to email@example.com
Deadline to receive Letter of Interest: March 1, 2021
To apply for this job please visit earthrights.org.