The Enterprise Architect is accountable for the architecture of Trading & Supply (T&S) for the Oil/Products trading business.
The Oil/Products segment in Trading & Supply supports the Crude and Refined Products trading business lines. It provides critical services through interconnected Business-critical interfaces and systems. The segment is an integral part of dynamic Shell Trading business. T&S is one of the largest energy trading operations in the world.
The Oil/Products segment in T&S is kicking off a major modernization journey to transform the landscape to enable the future ambitions from Shell’s Powering Progress strategy and enablement of Low Carbon Fuels. This role will be at the lead to drive the designs/roadmaps to enable this modernization.
The Enterprise Architect will work within an extended natural team to ensure that IT solutions for this segment have a high-quality architectural design with full consideration around ease of integration, risk exposure, compliance, ability to operate, scalability and cost effectiveness. The resulting roadmaps and high-level designs will have a measurable impact on the effectiveness and profitability for Shell.
Where you fit in
You will ensure the business value of IT solutions is maximized by applying knowledge of the business needs and opportunities, the existing portfolio of IT applications, and the current and emerging technology and IT service capabilities. You will support and enable the development and execution of the strategy and plans for the IT Portfolio supporting the business.
You will support the Enterprise Architect for Trading & Supply in the execution of architecture consultancy and assurance activities for the Line of Business.
You will be responsible in managing relationships with key stakeholders including the business facing Information & Digital Technology (IDT) Managers; business analysts; business process Owners; IT Engineering teams; Programme and Project managers and other Line of Business and Architects. It also includes working closely with solution architects, application development/deployment projects to assure and support them from an architecture perspective. You will be overall accountability for managing the end-to-end lifecycle of applications in the portfolio from an IT architecture perspective.
The Enterprise Architect is an integral member of the Business IT and the Shell Architecture IT teams, helping to shape the strategic direction of the portfolio for an architecture perspective.
What’s the role?
The Enterprise Architect is a leading member of the Business IT and the Shell Architecture IT teams, helping to shape the future of the company.
Your day-to-day role includes the following activities:
- Driving the architecture and supporting the natural teams within the business
- Driving Solution or product selections against capabilities required within the business, including vendor selection and management
- Responsibility for the architectural standards and governance of projects within the segment to ensure the security, safety and cost effectiveness of all solutions deployed for the business
To do this the successful candidate should have a good understanding of the domain both inside Shell and in the external market. You will keep abreast of trends and developments in IT generally in the sectors mentioned above, both internally and externally. You will have a good awareness of regulatory environment as applies to the sector and security threats and risks. You will also be familiar with Shell’s Target Operating environment and reference architectures; and will be in a position to influence the direction that these take in the future.
You will be responsible for assuring the quality of architecture deliverables from the natural teams, and should be familiar with the process and tools that drive these artefacts (TOGAF, BizzDesign)
You will guide and support project teams (including Lead/Solution architects) to ensure compliance of developments with the solution architecture.
You will provide technical support and expertise to the natural team to drive the segment roadmap and project support, from both your own knowledge and from other technical roles in Shell.
Other accountabilities include:
- Work with the Lead/Solution Architects to maintain the segment architectures, application portfolio inventory, landscape diagrams and lifecycle maps for the applications within the portfolio
- Identify and propose potential portfolio changes and improvements, including decommissioning. Develop and maintain application roadmaps for the portfolio
- Work with the Business Interface IT Managers, IT Engineering, IT Operation, Business Process Owner and Business Architects to provide consultancy on architecture and portfolio matters. This includes, but is not limited to benchmarking of the portfolio against external practice; externalization efforts to keep a highly visible external perspective; advise on any project issues; advise touch points with other Lines of Business and opportunities to leverage applications, processes etc.
- Develop and maintain segment architecture including target selections
- Ensure architecture artifact quality and retention in appropriate tools, for example, BiZZdesign
- Facilitate Architecture Risk Assessments on projects, and conduct Assurance Reviews and Stage Gate signoff for medium and low risk projects, involving data, technical and integration architects as needed
- Participate in and contribute to the Line of Business segment architecture network
- Maintain knowledge of compliance and regulatory requirements, including data privacy regulations (e.g. GDPR), and ensure that those are included in architecture strategy and design decisions
- Proactively review segment portfolio with ITM and business to maintain the alignment on how personal data is managed and handled properly
What we need from you
We are keen to hear from the candidates with the below skill set:
- Strong understanding of Trading Risk Management and Trading Operations
- Extensive experience in digital and IT with a business-focused digital and IT leadership experience. You have a proven track record of digital and IT architecture impact and success
- Extensive experience in the trading business, ideally supporting a crude/refined products business line
- Extensive experience in implementing and/or modernizing the key Energy Trading Risk Management (ETRM)/ Commodity Trading Risk Management (CTRM) platforms to enable business operations
Crucially you will:
- Know the TOGAF standards and understand the Shell Architecture Framework and be able to explain the role of architecture in IT processes/organization
- Understand segment architecture and the link to portfolio management and platforms
- Understand the fundamentals of relevant architectures (process, data, application, integration) and be able to apply it effectively in support of the segment
- Know the Target Operating Environment (TOE)
- Know relevant IRM standards for Architecture and understand how to use the standards
Shell started operations in the United Kingdom more than 110 years ago. Since then, we have grown into a leading innovative Oil & Energy company that rewards its employees by investing heavily in their careers and learning. Our people are our greatest asset, and our commitment to your career will see you thrive in a work environment that offers an industry-leading development programme. When your ideas travel, Shell will benefit, and innovation will thrive. Shell has a key role to play in helping meet the UK’s growing energy demand, whilst using innovative technologies to develop cleaner energy. We are the largest FTSE 100 company in the UK by market capitalisation and make a significant contribution to the UK economy. As well as processing 35% of the gas coming into the UK, we serve more than four million customers at our filling stations each week. Shell employs some 6,400 skilled staff as well as many contractors.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell.
Join us and you’ll be adding your talent and imagination to a business with the ambition to shape the future – whether by investing in oil, gas and renewable energy to meet demand, exploring new ways to store energy, or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently, everyone at Shell does their part.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we are nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential.
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we’ll take it from there
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application
To apply for this job please visit vonq.io.