Join a Team that Lives to Improve Lives
People come to Genentech from across disciplines and across the world to solve our most challenging medical conditions. You’ll find inspiration in our passion for biotechnology, our purpose to positively impact the lives of millions of patients and our dedication to our people. Joining Genentech means being part of a tradition of inquiry that will change the world. It means embracing our failures as much as our successes. It requires a willingness to look beyond the edge of what’s possible. And a focus on doing the day-to-day work that makes great science happen.
The following opportunity exists in our South San Francisco, CA headquarters:
Automation Specialist – Desktop
If you’re skilled at scripting, passionate about automation, and have a proactive/preventative mindset regarding technical support, then this is the role for you! This position will be at forefront of influencing innovative and impactful change for our users & support teams. If you enjoy working in a stimulating, challenging, supportive, and collaborative environment where you can make important contributions and thrive as a professional, then please apply today.
This role is responsible for improving the desktop user experience for 30k employees & contractors through enabling automation and self-service capabilities. Desktop systems will include mostly Windows 10 and MacOS, as well as some Linux systems. You will be responsible for the prioritization of opportunities based on their complexity vs benefit. This is a hands-on role and in addition, will establish the standards and baselines used by all desktop service teams.
This position reports to the Head of User Services – Onsite Support for Genentech and is based in South San Francisco, CA and is not eligible for relocation.
Who You Are
- Act as a lead influencer of innovation, optimization, automation, and process improvement within the User Services organization and beyond.
- Use data, feedback, and ingenuity to drive better service, products, and processes.
- Analyze, design, develop, document, and implement complex solutions for end user computing systems
- Apply emerging technologies & information to optimize performance.
- Design, Develop, Deploy, and Document PowerShell scripts and modules to automate repetitive tasks related to desktop support.
- Review and Approve scripts and modules developed by other team members.
- Establish standard methods for reporting, monitoring, and error handling within scripts
- Maintain a code repository for all scripts and applications.
- Provide Code Snippets for team members for use with common activities.
- Update and improve existing support procedures within End User services.
- Develop and intake process for automation requests and prioritize based on the business impact and level of effort needed.
- Proactively identify, investigate, resolve, and prevent common technical incidents and problems
- Develop and test customized solutions to meet specific business needs.
- Proactively incorporate technologies, capabilities, and offerings into strategies, plans, programs and other offerings.
- Utilize desktop tools such as NexThink to provide proactive user activities and prevent productivity impacts.
- Suggest, lead, and contribute to innovative solutions, proof of concepts, pilots, and new support channels
- Introduce, and contribute to, longer-range strategies, objectives, and plans.
- Create and maintain a seamless end-user experience while overseeing & prioritizing multiple projects, requests, tasks, and recurring work.
- Develop technical solutions to a wide range of difficult problems – solutions should be imaginative, thorough, practicable, and consistent with organizational objectives.
- Participate in various projects and deliver assigned milestones.
- Provide exceptional customer service to customers, vendors, and key stakeholders.
- Establish a collaborative network of resources (within and beyond User Services)
- Mentor, train, and develop peers & junior technicians within the organization.
- Assist with pilot and platform testing, deployments, and configurations.
- Adhere to incident management, request fulfillment, and knowledge management processes while meeting/exceeding all established KPIs, SLAs, and metric requirements.
- Bridging people and technology to ensure an outstanding, proactive, and quality user experience.
- Develop ad-hoc scripts and utilities to automate tasks.
- Perform tool testing, validation, and documentation.
- Minimum 4+ years of experience as an End User Computing/Desktop Automator and 2+ years in a Desktop Support / technical troubleshooting role
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field is a plus
- Detailed understanding of, and expert experience with: automation, scripting languages (PowerShell, etc.), data analysis, digital experience management, deployments, cloud-based platforms, information security, SCCM, desktop infrastructure, software packaging and distribution, patch management, digital workplace environments, etc.
- Has acted as the technical lead for multiple implementations, upgrades, deployments and/or migrations & has experience supporting virtual environments.
- Comprehensive understanding of Active Directory & Group Policy Management.
- Advanced technical experience supporting Windows OS, Macintosh OSX, mobility platforms, UNIX, Google suite (gMail, gCalendar, gDrive), etc.
- Relevant Certifications preferred
- Well-versed in ITIL core processes: Incident Management (IM), Request Management (RM), and Knowledge Management (KM)
- Experience with Machine Learning & Artificial Intelligence is a plus
- Experience with Service Now is a plus
Business travel may occasionally be required
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Strategic agility – link individual accountabilities with the mission of the organization; focus on activities that add the most value.
- Able to represent manager in meetings and make decisions related to areas of subject matter expertise
Outstanding customer service, business partnering, and interpersonal skills.
- Communicates clearly with technical and non-technical audiences, both verbally and written
Strong organizational and multi-tasking skills, along with the ability to prioritize tasks among many competing requests.
- Professional attitude and demeanor
Strong analytical skills for effective troubleshooting and problem solving.
- Able to organize and frame appropriate timelines to meet delivery goals.
- Ability to work in a team environment or independently / autonomously.
- Familiar with Workflow and Orchestration tools.
A Job with Benefits Beyond the Benefits
A member of the Roche Group, Genentech has been at the forefront of the biotechnology industry for more than 40 years, using human genetic information to develop novel medicines for serious and life-threatening diseases. Genentech has multiple therapies on the market for cancer & other serious illnesses. Please take this opportunity to learn about Genentech where we believe that our employees are our most important asset & are dedicated to remaining a great place to work.
The next step is yours. To apply today, click on the “Apply online” button.
Genentech is an equal opportunity employer & prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, disability, marital & veteran status. For more information about equal employment opportunity, visit our Genentech Careers page.
At Genentech, we share salary ranges with applicants during the recruiting process, if requested. Third party salary estimates may not be accurate or up-to-date.
To apply for this job please visit www.gene.com.