The Facebook Reality Labs team at Facebook is helping more people around the world come together and connect through world-class VR hardware and software. With global departments dedicated to VR research, computer vision, haptics, social interaction, and more, Oculus is committed to driving the state of the art forward through relentless innovation. VRs potential to change the world is immenseand were just getting started.
The Hardware System Architect will lead the definition and convergence of complex and novel sub-system and product architectures aimed at pushing beyond the state-of-the-art consumer VR systems. These can span new sensing systems, display/optics systems, input devices, and full VR headsets. The role requires expert technical communication with cross-functional teams across ID, hardware engineering, partnerships, supply chain and core technology groups to drive incubation of new technologies from proof of concept through integration into products for mass production. This role requires excellent technical understanding of consumer electronics and virtual reality systems across the stack.
* Own system architectures encompassing compute, displays/optics, EE, sensors, calibration, and firmware from initial conception through prototyping, NPI, and production ramp.
* Technical delivery on hardest architectural problems in early phase concept development (ensuring translation of marketing requirements to product).
* Partner with research, core technology, hardware, and supply chain teams to create component and module requirements.
* Collaborate with cross-functional teams on blank-slate and early-phase prototyping and product exploration, mapping it to strategic and product questions which need to be resolved.
* Work closely with core technology teams and hardware product managers to inform product use cases, constraints, and market opportunities related to new architectures.
* Organize the development of full-fledged incubation and demonstration prototypes on the path to the architectural definition.
* Communicate trade-offs, program concerns and technical direction.
* Guide management on long term technology investments.
* Creation of hardware system metrics, standards and tools.
* Travel up to 15% time domestically and internationally.
* BS in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, other related technical field or equivalent experience.
* 5+ years of product experience in electrical, mechanical or optical engineering.
* Experience with architecture and systems engineering across electrical, firmware, mechanical, audio and optical systems.
* Experience driving development of multiple novel consumer electronics products throughout the complete product development cycle.
* Experience providing product feedback in addition to technical feedback on engineering and design work.
* Experience working with partnerships teams and external partners at both a supply base and product level.
* Experience with virtual reality or systems aimed at capturing/delivering audio and video data streams.
Facebook’s mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we’re building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we’re creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities – we’re just getting started.
Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at .
To apply for this job please visit itjobpro.com.