IT Operations Quality Assurance Analyst
Salary: $39.80 – $59.72 Hourly
Location: Seattle, WA
Job Type: Classified Civil Service, Regular, Full-Time
Department: Seattle Information Technology
Job Number: 2018-01652
Closing: November 27, 2018 4:00 PM Pacific
The City of Seattle is recruiting qualified candidates for the position of IT Operations Quality Assurance Analyst in Seattle Information Technology’s (Seattle IT) Engineering & Operations Division. Seattle IT provides technology leadership for the City enterprise, developing common standards, architectures, and business solutions; focused on developing scalable, sustainable solutions that enable departments to deliver City services more efficiently and effectively to constituents. Seattle IT harnesses the power of technology and telecommunications to facilitate City government serving Seattle’s residents and businesses. Seattle IT is responsible for citywide technology governance, strategic planning and policy development, and programs that promote technology literacy and public access to government information. The City’s consolidated IT operation is 700 strong providing professional technology services across City government and beyond. We are looking for a talented professional who has a passion for service, community, and technology to join our exciting team!
The IT Operations Quality Assurance (QA) Analyst will coordinate testing, validation, and user acceptance testing for projects specifically related to Seattle IT Engineering & Operations. The position requires extensive experience with testing approaches and methodologies, especially in relation to compatibility with operating systems, desktop packages, and database interoperability. Also required is in-depth understanding of QA testing principles and strategies, including test plan development, traceability, defect management, and the effectiveness of quality through metrics.
This person will work closely with engineering and operations teams on various infrastructure, systems and end user related projects, including operating system upgrades, security upgrades, Active Directory domain migrations, SQL Server upgrades, and other technology implementations undertaken by Engineering and Operations staff. The position will also coordinate closely with the Applications division QA testers and Manager to ensure adherence to established standards and requirements.
This position will participate in and support IT Engineering & Operations project activities, including:
- work with technical tools for analysis, planning, and reporting;
- define technology-specific test scenarios and use cases for testing and validation;
- write technical instructions and procedures for knowledge transfer;
- assist with project communication and coordination with City customers and technical teams;
- function as liaison to IT application staff and IT customers for testing and validation activities.
Testing activities will be oriented to baseline testing for operations and will coordinate with QA staff in Seattle IT Applications for additional in-depth functional testing of applications managed by the Applications Division. Primary test objectives will include:
- assure application launch and logon capability;
- assure interoperability with Active Directory and potentially other identity management systems;
- conduct smoke-testing for application compatibility with updated operating systems and databases;
- assure O365 core applications testing (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.);
- assure access to applications and systems after network and infrastructure related upgrades;
- install and operate automated tools for testing applications on upgraded operating systems such as Windows 10;
- position may require overtime to support periodic verifications of off-hours releases.
Responsible for coordinating and supporting quality assurance activities for the Seattle IT Engineering & Operations division. Work with business teams, engineering teams, project management teams, technical support teams, and other IT partners to test and validate operational interoperability among infrastructure, systems and end user technologies. Key tasks include:
- Manage testing lifecycle with an “end-to-end” perspective across the enterprise.
- Relationship management: coordinate and collaborate with program partners/core team.
- Understand the infrastructure landscape to develop test approaches across systems and projects. Setup, configure and maintain test environments. Prepare and maintain documents, which include test strategies, test plans, and scripts.
- Defect management: logging, tracking, closing, reporting and conducting triage meetings.
- Mentor, train, and coach team members on processes, technology and tools.
- Maintain awareness of latest innovations, trends, and emerging technologies in QA technologies.
- Work closely with test engineers to develop test cases and scripts. Ensure QA resources are following established QA and test procedures.
- Adapt any new tool/language and implement based on the requirements/needs.
- Assemble and understand QA metrics; identify problem areas in the product requiring attention.
- Provide weekly testing and automation dashboard reports to executives and stakeholders including status.
- Supply technical guidance to the team and work with the engineering and support teams to facilitate execution of test scripts (manual and automated).
- Write effective and thorough bug reports and verify bug fixes.
- Identify vulnerabilities in testing and define and manage plans to mitigate risk.
- Perform various assignments and/or projects commensurate to professional level as assigned.
NOTE: Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered for the required qualifications except where specifically noted.
- In depth experience in Software Quality Assurance, Software Testing and Automation Testing.
- Demonstrable experience in test planning, execution, traceability, and reporting. Should also include Application Lifecycle Management (ALM), defect management, and test automation tools (such as VSTS).
- Extensive and demonstrable knowledge/experience in various phases and types of testing such as; System Testing, Systems Integration Testing, Data Integrity Testing, User Acceptance Testing along with entry/exist criteria for each type of testing.
- Experience dealing and adapting to changing priorities with strict deadlines.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills and the ability to communicate effectively with technical teams, executives, and business teams.
- Experience working effectively within a multi-cultural/diverse workplace and on cross-functional team.
NOTE: Submit cover letter & resume along with NeoGov application.
NOTE: Employment contingent upon successful completion of comprehensive background investigation.
NOTE: This position is affiliated with a collective bargaining unit; International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, Local 77.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or Information Technology related field.
- Experience working with/in government agencies.
- Excellent conceptual grasp of software, operating systems, architectures etc.
- Team player with excellent problem-solving skills and technical strength in testing and scripting.
- Experience in mentoring junior QA test analysts and engineers.
- Experience in automation test practices and DevOps knowledge with Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment.
- Creative ability to imagine possibilities and work to deliver a proof of concept or demonstration of a potential solution to an obstacle.
City of Seattle
To apply for this job please visit itjobpro.com.