Discover the possibilities of our progressive, omnichannel approach to beauty retail. At Ulta Beauty, our E-commerce associates sit at the cutting edge of our efforts to reimagine the future of retail. Through a full suite of new and emerging technologies, this team is creating an enhanced buying experience for guests who crave simplicity, choice, personal insights and the joy of discovery. With greater interactivity. Inspired applications of big data, AI and UI/UX. And creative that persuades and delights. All of this, with the opportunity to experience smart ideas come to life.
At Ulta Beauty, we’re forever imagining. Forever striving. Forever investing in next-gen—with deep and rich opportunities for ongoing learning, growth and advancement. We encourage you to take control of your career and set your own ceiling. For curious and big-picture thinkers who can flex to the need and who want to stretch themselves through courage and conviction, Ulta Beauty provides an environment perfectly suited to your ambitions. Let’s build brilliant together.
WHO WE ARE:
Reinforced with two startup acquisitions, the Digital Innovation team is part of Ulta’s commitment to accelerate innovation to further differentiate Ulta Beauty and elevate our guest experience. Our mission is to bridge digital & physical journeys by leading thought and discovering technology to help create a differentiated & relevant guest experience. With AR, VR, and ML, Digital Innovation has a lot of fingers in a lot of pis.
The Data Science Innovation team is at the forefront of AI and ML at Ulta Beauty. We push boundaries and build expertise – always looking for new ways to leverage existing data, acquire new insights and change the way we view our guest journeys. We believe in building AI solutions, not models. Taking a forward view to each problem we work on, we strive to build holistic solutions that get at the heart of what we’re investigating.
Antoine thrives on applying quantitative methods to real-world problems, and brings years of experience as a data science and machine learning leader: from quantitative trading algorithms to unmanned flight control systems, to language models on unstructured text.
Originally an applied mathematician, Antoine has published several academic papers related to imaging, finance, genetics and machine learning. An ex startup founder, he loves building AI solutions from the business perspective down to the engineering elements, rather than the other way around.
Instead of promising the moon (things you’ll work on per the JD) and delivering a regression (the linear one you’ll do on-the-job), here is a sampling of the kind of projects already developed by the team you’d be joining!
- Cross-platform gamified app based on social engagement.
- Product recommendation engine leveraging purchase data and web events.
- Ingredients similarity-based graph database and guest experience mapping.
- Embedding-based clustering of beauty-specific color swatches.
THE IMPACT YOU CAN HAVE:
The Lead Data Scientist oversees a group dedicated to novel projects and pure innovation – from gaming to augmented reality. You relish the challenge of a blank page problem, working with previously unexplored data sources, and building out solutions that haven’t been designed yet.
Comfortable with varied fields spanning weakly supervised learning, NLP, Computer Vision and more, you’re even more comfortable with picking up new approaches as needed. You write modular and extensible code and rapidly experiment with new ideas.
You will lead and grow a team of 2 data scientists and mentor them through multiple projects simultaneously. There will be plenty of chances to flex your individual skills as well with hands-on development work – more time on keyboard, less time in meetings.
This is a great opportunity to come in at the ground level and make your mark in a startup environment, while delivering products that impact millions of guests every day.
YOU’LL ACCOMPLISH THESE GOALS BY:
- Mentor a young and dynamic team of data scientists.
- Design, map out, and implement ML solutions to business problems.
- Provide guidance on data science best practices.
- Engage with business partners to hash out project needs.
- Advise on emerging areas of technology and AI.
ESSENTIALS FOR SUCCESS:
- Masters / PhD degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, Statistics or other quantitative field.
- At least 4 years’ experience working in data science, machine learning or AI with demonstrated exceptional performance and career progression.
- Ability to work cross-functionally to understand business goals and communicate solutions that meet the business objectives.
- Production-quality OoP (Python, C++, etc), proficiency in relevant frameworks (scikit learn, TensorFlow, etc).
- Experience with cloud computing platforms (Google Cloud, Azure, and AWS).
- Hands-on experience building ML solutions from inception to launch.
- A passion for broadening your technical skills and diving into unknown problems.
- Travel may be required (team collaboration / conferences / vendor meetings).
At Ulta Beauty (NASDAQ: ULTA), the possibilities are beautiful. Ulta Beauty is the largest North American beauty retailer and the premier beauty destination for cosmetics, fragrance, skin care products, hair care products and salon services. We bring possibilities to life through the power of beauty each and every day in our stores and online with more than 25,000 products from approximately 500 well-established and emerging beauty brands across all categories and price points, including Ulta Beauty’s own private label. Ulta Beauty also offers a full-service salon in every store featuring—hair, skin, brow, and make-up services.
We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with arrest records, conviction records, or other criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of any applicable state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance, the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, and the New York City Fair Chance Act.
To apply for this job please visit itjobpro.com.