Introduction to Cox Automotive Mobility Fleet Services
As a Lead Software Engineer at Cox Automotive Mobility Fleet Services, you will become part of an innovative and forward-thinking team, instrumental in shaping the future of fleet management solutions. Fleet Services, a key group within Cox Automotive Mobility, stands as a national leader in providing comprehensive fleet services. We specialize in both scheduled and unscheduled maintenance, supported by over 750 mobile-service units and a team of more than 1,000 world-class technicians, ensuring top-tier service delivery.
Our mission at Fleet Services is to keep fleets and people moving safely and sustainably for the next generation. Leveraging our rich automotive heritage, we are vital contributors to the evolving global transportation ecosystem. Our strategy includes the integration of digital-first solutions to enhance the flow, health, and lifecycle of various fleets, thereby improving operations for owners, operators, and fleets across the country.
In your role, you will be instrumental in developing and refining these digital solutions, leading Agile teams in developing software which plays a pivotal role in advancing fleet performance and management. Your efforts will significantly influence the efficiency, safety, and sustainability of fleets across the nation.
Our work environment is fast-paced and ambitious. We take on significant challenges and celebrate our wins.
Characteristics of a Lead Engineer
The ideal candidate for this role strongly identifies with the following characteristics.
- Thinks like a scientist, creates like an engineer – Uses evidence to generate testable hypotheses and performs experiments which confirm or disprove the hypotheses as a standard method of solving problems. Applies best practices, standards, and good architectural design to ensure software is observable, secure, reliable, maintainable, and scalable.
- Highly Collaborative – works with others to achieve stronger outcomes than could be achieved individually
- Produces large volumes of high quality software – Writes new code every day and uses TDD techniques as part of their normal development practices. Motivates and enables the team to do the same.
- Humble – Demonstrates empathy and understanding of others. They should provide high value to the organization without inflating their ego.
- Ambitious – Knows we can achieve great outcomes and is motivated to lead their team to be the successful in obtaining those results
- Plans – Anticipates upcoming work, identifies dependencies, understands the business context, and communicates plans which allow the team to understand and execute upon that work successfully.
- Continuously Improving – Never accepts the status quo and always seeks ways to improve the way we work
Joining in this role you can expect opportunities for personal and professional growth, a chance to work with cutting-edge technologies, mentoring other engineers through technical challenges, and the satisfaction of making a meaningful impact on the fleets which provide services across the nation.
- Leads team efforts to design, develop, test and document complex software systems and applications that are deployed by CI/CD systems into Cloud providers and mobile devices
- Contributes code regularly and provides meaningful pull-request feedback to teammates
- Collaborates with product owners, architecture, test engineers, scrum masters, peers, and stakeholders to deliver business value through software
- Estimates development tasks to within predictable variances, given specified functional and business requirements.
- Regularly reviews metrics and suggests changes which improve quality, cycle time, reliability, and other key factors.
- Presents system alterations and designs to peers and stakeholders through system demos
- Collaborates with adjacent teams within a Release Train to implement coordinate software changes across multiple applications and services
- Promotes and adopts practices and tooling provided by our enterprise engineering and architectural teams
- Leads problem diagnosis and resolution activities in cases of outages in production systems
- Builds quality in by increasing test code coverage and building software in which testing is automated from the outset instead of relying on manual testing techniques
- Designs services for resiliency and verifies that resiliency by conducting Game Day exercises which are used to simulate widespread infrastructural outages
- Breaks down business and non-functional requirements into tangible, clear and estimable objectives, providing recommendations to management and project team members.
- Continuously identifies opportunities for improvement across the team and methodically works to implement such changes
- Provides management with regular reports on team accomplishments and progress towards objectives. Escalates any impediments which require leadership awareness or assistance
- Bachelors' degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or other physical science field of study
- 2+ years experience leading high performing Scrum teams
- 4+ years experience developing and maintaining software which runs in production on the JVM
- 4+ years experience in developing software using AWS technologies such as SQS, ECS, RDS, Lambda, API Gateway, etc
- 4+ years experience using and developing applications on relational databases
- Experience building and maintaining software running in a CI/CD pipeline using tools such as GitHub Actions
- Experience instrumenting systems with observability via tools like NewRelic, Splunk, Firebase, and PagerDuty
- Experience developing Mobile applications in Flutter/Dart
- Experience developing applications with Salesforce
- Experience developing applications automated with SauceLabs or LambdaTest
About Cox Automotive
At Cox Automotive, people of every background are driven by their passion for mobility, innovation and community. We transform the way the world buys, sells, owns and uses cars, accelerating the industry with global powerhouse brands like Autotrader, Kelley Blue Book, Manheim and more. What's more, we do it all with an emphasis on employee growth and happiness. Drive your future forward and join Cox Automotive today!
Cox empowers employees to build a better future and has been doing so for over 120 years. With exciting investments and innovations across transportation, communications, cleantech and healthcare, our family of businesses – which includes Cox Automotive and Cox Communications – is forging a better future for us all. Ready to make your mark? Join us today!
Benefits of working at Cox may include health care insurance (medical, dental, vision), retirement planning (401(k)), and paid days off (sick leave, parental leave, flexible vacation/wellness days, and/or PTO). For more details on what benefits you may be offered, visit our benefits page .
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer – All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual's age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law. Cox provides reasonable accommodations when requested by a qualified applicant or employee with disability, unless such accommodations would cause an undue hardship.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.
To apply for this job please visit itjobpro.com.