The Senior Data Engineer will be responsible for expanding, migrating, and optimizing our data and data pipeline architecture, as well as optimizing data flow and collection to meet the needs of users across the organization. This position will also be accountable for making recommendations to strengthen system controls, increasing efficiency using automated processes, and documenting technical requirements and specifications. This role will also be responsible for making system and application recommendations based upon industry best practices, technical viability, and operational standards. As a senior member of staff, this individual will be expected to mentor junior staff and provide guidance in solution design.
Academic and Trade Qualifications:
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Computer Engineering, Math, or related technical degree from an accredited institution, and/or equivalent experience.
Five to ten years of demonstrated work experience with a minimum of three years of experience in Data Engineering or related role. Five years of experience with data warehouse technical architectures, ETL/ELT, and reporting/analytic tools. Experience in the public utility industry or energy sector is preferred.
• Identify, retrieve, manipulate, relate, and exploit multiple structured data and unstructured data sets from various sources, including building or generating new data sets as appropriate
• Design, document, build, test and deploy data pipelines that relate a variety of datasets from disparate sources and integrate them into a unified view.
• Work with complex databases, conduct in-depth research to identify data issues, propose solutions to improve data integrity, and perform other database-related analyses and projects as requested
• Make recommendations to improve operational efficiency with activities such as reducing the number of manual processes and validating data quality
• Partner with internal customers, architects, developers, and other technical partners to gather requirements, understand existing systems, and develop products to maximize secure and compliant application observability
• Design, develop and document ETL processes
• Design and develop ETL code and document implemented ETL designs
• Proactively review, streamline, and suggest improvements to our current processes and documentation
• Define and document standards for transforming data and executing pathways/flows from a variety of complex sources
• Write SQL queries for ad hoc analysis.
• Take a leading role in defining the processes, standards, and roadmap for data warehousing, analytical reporting, operational reporting, ETL/ELT processes, data governance, and master data management, while mentoring junior staff
• Azure experience highly preferred, including Data Factory, Databricks, Azure SQL, etc.
• Experience with SQL, DDL and Stored Procedures in a relational SQL database, especially SQL Server
• Experience working with enterprise/solution architecture frameworks, methodologies, templates, and tools
• Ability to understand business objectives and develop data solutions to meet those needs
• Strong working knowledge of modern programming languages, ETL tools and understanding of cloud concepts
• Understanding of advanced principles and practices of database management systems, standard IT operating procedures and should be able to read, interpret and produce technical documentation.
Abilities and Skills:
• Experience optimizing data retrieval and converting legacy processes to a modern architecture
• Experience leveraging Cloud services for scalable solutions is preferred
• Strong analytic skills related to working with structured and unstructured datasets
• Excellent listening, interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills
• Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and excel at meeting deadlines
• Familiarity with the Agile methodology
• Ability to work and communicate effectively with business stakeholders and technical staff
• Ability to translate business needs into a deliverable solution
Relationships and Contacts:
Work with technical team members to ensure solutions are consistent with development, infrastructure and security guidelines. Collaborate with peers across business lines identifying and documenting user needs and requirements. Keep management informed as to status of projects and activities.
Normal business hours, with limited overtime. Travel is limited and normally contained within the state.
Company Profile: North Carolina’s Electric Cooperatives is the brand for the family of organizations formed to support the state’s 26 local electric cooperatives, including: North Carolina Electric Membership Corporation, the power supplier to many of the electric cooperatives; North Carolina Association of Electric Cooperatives, the cooperatives’ trade association; and Tarheel Electric Membership Association, Inc. (TEMA), a central purchasing and materials-supply cooperative.
To apply for this job please visit www.ncelectriccooperatives.com.