North Carolina Institute for Climate Studies Office of Research and Innovation
North Carolina State University Position 00102388
The North Carolina Institute for Climate Studies (NCICS) is a UNC inter-institutional research institute promoting the discovery of new knowledge about global, regional, and local climate variability and its impacts, and providing information that is critical for determining trends and validating climate forecasts at all these spatial scales.
NCICS’s principal activity is the operation of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Satellite Earth System Studies in North Carolina (CISESS NC). CISESS’s primary objective is to document the natural atmosphere–ocean–land-biosphere components of the Earth system and how they interact with human activities as a coupled system through collaborative and transformative research activities and to transition that research into operational applications that produce societal benefits.
To learn more about our institute, please visit: https://ncics.org/
The Software Engineer will provide expertise in scientific programming and data analytics to address the software engineering needs of NCICS and CISESS NC on-premises and in cloud venues.
Primary duties and responsibilities:
· Provide innovative software engineering solutions for the current needs of the Institute programs and designated project teams.
· Work in a team environment developing integrated analytical and graphical applications.
· Develop, implement, and maintain coding and processing strategies, guidelines, and architectural design in support of project system engineering efforts.
· Support integration of climate datasets into existing frameworks for access, data analysis, and evaluation.
· Support on-premises and cloud-based project implementation.
· Plan, develop, and implement quality assurance, evaluation, and troubleshooting tools and applications to ensure accessibility and integrity of datasets and other end products to meet strict configuration and security controls applied to all codes, products, and documentation.Apply and maintain software and product metadata.
· Participate in Institute events/meetings and provide expertise and assistance to Institute staff.
· Coordinate with data providers and other NOAA programs/projects, and other teams and working groups as needed to meet project requirements and/or deadlines.
· Support communication of project information as relevant or requested.
· Fully participate in unit and assigned project (Institute, NCEI, BDP, etc.) activities and meetings.
A PhD in meteorology, atmospheric or environmental sciences, computer or informational sciences, analytics, mathematics, physics, engineering, or related field with at least 3 years of experience in scientific programming, analysis, developing complex cloud-based software solutions for data management, and/or relevant research working with satellite data or other remotely sensed and in situ data; OR a Master’s degree in one of the above fields with at least 5 years of experience; OR a Bachelor’s degree in one of the above fields with at least 8 years of experience.
The successful candidate should possess the following:
· Demonstrated knowledge of advanced statistical methods and proficiency in developing operational code and computer applications using languages such as FORTRAN, C, Python, JAVA, and Perl.
· Demonstrated knowledge of cloud tools for Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Google Cloud Computing (GCP) environments.
· Demonstrated proficiency with:
· database application development using structured and unstructured approaches.
· UNIX/Linux operating systems.
· Information systems, including ensuring quality and accuracy, generating reports, and knowledge of data storage structures.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
· Solid interpersonal skills.
· Ability to make positive team contributions.
· Ability to multitask and meet deadlines.
· Ability to work independently.
The following skills are preferred, but not required:
· Familiar with environmental observations, Climate Data Records (CDR) or other environmental data products, and metadata standards.
· Conversant in netCDF4 and HDF5 science data formats as well as emerging cloud formats such as COG and ZARR.
· Experience working with in situ and remotely sensed climate observations in large-scale databases.
· Demonstrated proficiency in scientific algorithm development and processing.
· Expert knowledge of data processing/data analysis with statistical software (such as Pandas, SAS, R) and scientific data visualization software (such as Matplotlib, ggplot2, IDL).
· Experience with:
· Machine learning and other modern data analytics methods.
· High-performance computing systems.
· Scalable, parallel architectures.
· Implementation of continuous deployment practices.
· 2+ peer-reviewed publications in data analytics or a related area.
Why you should apply:
Our team and NC State University embody a culture that values collaboration, creativity, innovation, diversity, and teamwork. NC State University provides a work/life balance, a team-oriented culture, and work that makes a difference in our community.
All applications must be submitted online through the NC State employment website. To view the full job description, posting, application instructions, and to submit an application please visit: https://jobs.ncsu.edu/postings/140940
If you have questions about this position, please contact Erika Wagner at firstname.lastname@example.org
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or email@example.com. Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call (919) 515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.ncsu.edu.