Job TitleNetwork Engineer
Working TitleNetwork Engineer
FLSA CodeComputer Employee
Patient Sensitive Job Code?No
Standard Hours per Week40
Full Time or Part Time?Full Time
Work Schedule Summary
Monday to Friday; 8 am to 5 pm; additional hours may be required
Department00428 – UIT – Network & Comm. Srvs
CitySalt Lake City, UT
Type of RecruitmentExternal Posting
Pay Rate Range$47,600/yr. – $65,000/yr.
Open Until FilledYes
The University Information Technology has an opening for a network engineer within its Common Infrastructure Services department.
The incumbent for this position will be expected to supervise employees of the network operations group in accordance with organizational policies and goals. This position requires experience leading complex network projects across a broad spectrum of an organization. The incumbent will need to engage at all levels of the UIT organization and across the distributed IT ecosystem on campus. Finally, the incumbent should drive efforts in a timely fashion to meet critical goals in higher organizational efficiencies, including network standards, best practices, topology and design, and improved data security and privacy. This position is considered a working supervisor with minimal authority for personnel actions.
Located in Salt Lake City, in the foothills of the Wasatch Mountains, the University of Utah is the flagship institution of the State of Utah’s system of higher education and a member of the PAC-12 Conference. Salt Lake City combines the amenities of a major metropolitan area of more than one million people with the friendliness and ease of living of a small, Western city. Seven major ski resorts are within an hour’s drive from campus, and opportunities to pursue activities from biking to hiking to fishing abound. Salt Lake is also home to the Utah Symphony and Opera, the Utah Ballet, several professional sports teams, and a wide range of other cultural and recreational activities.
University Information Technology, the central IT service provider for campus, reports to the Chief Information Officer and is responsible for many of the University of Utah’s most critical common IT resources including the campus network; the Campus Information Services (CIS) portal; UMail, telephone, and online collaboration services; high performance and research computing; information security; teaching and learning technologies; software licensing; and a host of other systems and applications. For more information about UIT visit **********************
– Analyze business requirements and align network solutions.
– Establish repeatable network framework that scales across a complex university environment.
– Support the conceptualization of test plans, implementation plans, and project timelines for network projects.
– Write functional requirements/specifications documents.
– Assess vendor development/test strategies.
– Solve complex problems with many variables.
– Provide technology roadmaps governed by strategic direction, business requirements, as well as resourcing and financial constraints.
– Provide technical direction and frameworks to meet business needs.
– Provide expert consultation for major network initiatives or incidents.
– Produce and maintain network standards and guidelines.
– Serve as a key representative on network initiatives.
– Review the feasibility of new and existing network projects.
This job description is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
Work Environment and Level of Frequency typically required
Often: Office environment.
Seldom: Outdoor Environment
Physical Requirements and Level of Frequency that may be required
Nearly Continuously: Sitting, hearing, listening, talking.
Often: Repetitive hand motion (such as typing), walking, bending, twisting, kneeling, squating, crawling.
Seldom: Reaching overhead, lifting- up to 50 pounds.
Requires a bachelor’s degree in area of specialty or equivalency and 2-5 years of experience in the field or in a related area.
DEPARTMENT MINIMUM QUALIFICATION:
Requires a bachelor’s degree in computer science, management information systems, or a related field; or an equivalent amount of related, progressively advancing experience.
Two to four years of related experience required; four to six years of previous IT related experience preferred.
– Thorough knowledge of best practices in program and project management.
– Familiarity with IT systems, protocols, and implementation efforts in large organizations.
– Self-starter that understands the meaning of facilitated collaboration both within and outside an organization.
– Strong coordination and organization skills essential.
– Ability to work under pressure and time constraints and to visualize processes end-to-end.
– Ability to present information effectively to campus leaders and diverse groups, including IT governance, for both background and decision-making purposes.
– Understands how to champion IT strategy and a cohesive vision, including excellent written and verbal communication skills.
– Proven leadership with a genuine commitment to staff mentoring and professional development.
– Strong analytical and critical thinking skills.
– Expertise in LAN/WAN technologies or protocols, including but not limited to wired/wireless LAN environments, data center networking, intranet/extranet environments, IP/MPLS, OSPF, EGIRP, IP Multicast (PIM, MBGP) and Quality of Service.
– Experience with networking products such as routers, switches, load balancers, firewalls, NAC, and WAN optimization products.
– Knowledge of vendors such as Cisco, Juniper, Palo Alto, HP, Citrix, etc.
– Experience managing projects towards timely completion and under budget.
Experience with Python.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
– Exposure to requirements for regulatory compliance, including HIPAA, FERPA, PCI, and FISMA.
– Experience in supervising technical employees.
– Understanding of and experience with open-source/community-source software models.
– Experience leading successful IT projects in a research university and/or academic health care system.
– Familiar with technology trends in networking. Examples include but are not limited to software defined networking (SDN), OpenFlow, IPv6 implementations, etc. Type Benefited Staff
Experience with network automation platforms and tools.
Special Instructions Summary
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to qualified applicants, upon request and consistent with University policy and Utah state law.
To inquire about this posting, email: ******************* or call ************. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, ************** (V/TDD), email: ******************.
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (URS). To be eligible for retirement contributions, you must be hired into a benefit-eligible position. Certain new hires are automatically assigned to the URS retirement plan and other employees with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in the URS within 30 days of hire. Regardless of whether they are hired into a benefit-eligible position or not, individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS must notify the Benefits Department upon hire. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801)366-7770 or (800)695-4877 or the University’s Benefits Department at (801)581-7447 for information.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.
To apply for this job please visit itjobpro.com.