The Department of Children and Families seeks a visionary and experienced leader to serve as the Director of the Department’s new Office of Data Management and Reporting.
This position will report to the Assistant Commissioner of Analytics and Systems Improvement. The Director will provide strategic direction, leadership, and oversight of DCF’s data and reporting strategy across the Department’s child welfare, children’s behavioral health, prevention, and gender-based violence programmatic portfolios.
The new Director will be responsible for the following:
* Provide strategy guidance and project updates to Executive Leaders as a member of the DCF Information Management Steering Committee, Data Governance Committee, and Application Governance Committees
* Partner with DCF’s Executive Team, Office of Information Technology, and external consultants in the implementation of a new 3-year Information Management (IM) Strategy Roadmap, including 1) Establish a Data Governance Model, 2) Establish Data Management Capabilities and 3) Modernize Key Business Applications
* Manage a team of 20+ senior project managers, data managers, data analysts, and business analysts in a high-volume and fast-paced environment
* Foster a culture of continuous learning and improvement for staff that includes ongoing feedback on performance and the creation and identification of professional development opportunities
* Develop and implement a strategic plan for the office in alignment with the DCF strategic priorities that incorporate DCF Core Approaches
* Manage contracted vendor relationships and ensure timely submission of quality deliverables
* Develop and implement a project intake, approval and tracking system to increase transparency, optimize workflows and manage human resources
Business Intelligence, Reporting, & Analytics:
* Oversee the production of quantitative data necessary to measure organizational performance and meet the demands of DCF’s data-driven culture
* Comply with all Federal and State reporting requirements, including but not limited to the Adoption and Foster Care Analysis and Reporting System (AFCARS), the National Child Abuse and Neglect Data System (NCANDS), the National Youth in Transition Database (NYTD), Title IVE Foster Care and Prevention Services Claiming, Medicaid Claiming and Waiver requirements, Governor’s Transparency Report, and Open Public Records Act (OPRA)
* Oversee the development of a new Tableau Cloud environment and production of Tableau visualizations for Executive, program, and public-facing dashboards
* Maintain the New Jersey SPIRIT application reports library coded in WebFocus
* Manage ad hoc data requests
* Maintain a collaborative process with program division leadership to assess needs and acquire business requirements for performance measures and reporting tools
* Partner closely with the Office of Applied Research & Evaluation, Office of Quality and Office of Monitoring to develop data collection and reporting strategies in support of DCF’s analytical and systems improvement work
* In partnership with the Office of Applied Research & Evaluation, develop and implement an advanced analytics strategy, including machine learning algorithms, to leverage DCF’s administrative data more fully for policy and programmatic decision-making
Data Governance & Data Management:
* Modernize DCF’s data management capabilities focused on meeting business intelligence, reporting and analytics needs through the design, development and implementation of a new Enterprise-Wide Data Warehouse built in an MS Azure cloud-based environment, providing scalable data storage, modern data integration capabilities and improved extract/transform/load (ETL) tools
* Lead DCF efforts to establish and implement a data governance model focused on establishing standards and controls for data asset inventory management, metadata management, data quality management and data sharing agreements for data managed in DCF’s Enterprise-Wide Data Warehouse
* Establish processes for monitoring data governance standards and reporting progress to the executive Information Management Steering Committee (IMSC)
* Deliver two end-to-end Proof of Concepts highlighting DCFs MS Azure Data Warehouse and Tableau Cloud Business Intelligence reporting capabilities on an aggressive timeline
* Collaborate in the development of the application design and reporting tools for DCF Connex, the Department’s Salesforce solution for community-based services
NOTE: This position may be eligible to work remotely for up to two (2) days in a calendar week.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Data Science, Biostatistics or similar field focused on quantitative data analysis.
EXPERIENCE: At least seven (7) years of technical leadership experience managing and analyzing large administrative datasets using SQL, SAS, STATA, SPSS etc; seven (7) years of staff management experience including demonstrated ability to effectively lead and mentor diverse teams.
Excellent planning and organizational skills to scope, implement and track projects through to completion; demonstrated ability to deliver excellent customer service to meet the needs of internal and external stakeholders in a fast-paced environment; ability to multitask with ease between leadership, project management and office operations; exceptional interpersonal skills, communication (oral and written) skills and ability to engage with a diverse stakeholder group including executive leaders, project managers, data managers, researchers, IT developers and program partners.
NOTE: Applicants who do not possess the required education may substitute additional experience in the field with proven success and appropriate certifications.
RESUME NOTE: Eligibility determinations will be based upon information presented on the resume only. Applicants who possess a degree from a college or university outside the United States must provide an evaluation of one’s transcripts from a recognized evaluation service at the time of submission by the above closing date. Failure to do so may result in your ineligibility.
LICENSE: Appointees will be required to possess a driver’s license valid in New Jersey only if the operation of a vehicle, rather than employee mobility, is necessary to perform the essential duties of the position.
RESIDENCY LAW: Please refer to the New Jersey Department of Children and Families’ website at www.state.nj.us/dcf.
SAME APPLICANTS: If you are applying under the NJ “SAME” program, your supporting documents (Schedule A or B letter), must be submitted along with your resume by the closing date indicated above. For more information on the SAME Program visit their Website at: https://nj.gov/csc/same/overview/index.shtml , email: SAME@csc.nj.gov , or call CSC at (833) 691-0404.
SALARY: $130,000 – $149,900, commensurate with education and experience.
TO APPLY: You must submit a cover letter and resume as a single PDF document, saving the file by your Last Name, First Name.
Please indicate in your cover letter the Posting # and where you found this job opportunity. Send the file to:
The Department of Children and Families is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and is committed to fostering a respectful and inclusive work environment which reflects the diversity of the state we serve.
To apply for this job email your details to Job.Posting@dcf.nj.gov