City of New York
DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
Job Posting Notice
Civil Service Title: DEPUTY COMMISSIONER (DOT)
Title Code No: 95014
Title Classification: Non-Competitive
Business Title: Chief Technology Officer
Work Location: 55 Water St NY, N
Division/Work Unit: IT & Telecom
Number of Positions: 1
Job ID: 475285
As of August 2, 2021, all new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability. If you are offered city employment, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation for exemption is received and approved by the hiring agency.
New York City’s Department of Transportation’s (DOT) Chief Technology Officer CTO) will report directly to DOT’s Executive Deputy Commissioner and will be accountable to DOT’s Commissioner and First Deputy Commissioner as a member of the executive leadership team. The CTO will be responsible for managing DOT’s Information Technology (IT) staff, assets, services, vendors, and contracts. The DOT CTO will also oversee the department’s Operational Technology (OT) for its mission-focused divisions and administrations such as Traffic Operations, Sidewalk & Inspection Management, and Transportation Planning & Management, Legal Counsel, and Policy teams. The CTO will collaborate with IT clients and OT stakeholders in developing and implementing a strategic technology vision to advance DOT’s mission: to provide for the safe, efficient, and environmentally responsible movement of people and goods in the City of New York and to maintain and enhance the transportation infrastructure crucial to the economic vitality and quality of life of our primary customers, City residents.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Head the DOT IT & Telecom (IT&T) leadership team comprised of the directors, deputy directors, and supervisors of the following teams: Applications Development & Maintenance, Enterprise Geo-Spatial Technology, Hosting and Network Operations, IT Project Management Office (PMO), Public Data & Quality Assurance, Technical Support Services, Data Science & Engineering, and Information Security. Communicate widely and regularly with all IT&T staff, consultants, college aides, and interns about priorities, practices, and standards to maintain a high performance culture in the division.
· Responsible for the management of two premise data center environments: the primary in DOT’s headquarters and the Business Continuity environment hosted in New York City’s off-site backup data center.
· Lead innovations in IT and OT involving all divisions and administrative units
· Responsible for the assets assigned to, and productivity of, 3,500 IT clients located throughout DOT in offices and field locations.
· Prioritize the needs & requests of the divisions while maintaining & implementing technology that aligns with the Agency’s short term & long term goals
· Responsible for the cost-effective and cyber secure use of cloud infrastructures provided by commercial vendors.
· Responsible for the architecture, operation, and regular upgrade of DOT-operated network systems including owned and leased physical assets and wired and wireless infrastructure for data and voice communications.
· Review planned IT and OT systems in consultations with DOT clients and stakeholders to help propose best value, sustainable, and resilient solutions. Collaborates with clients and stakeholders in preparing documentation for IT Governance Review and presentation to senior staff.
· Participate in DOT executive planning activities, including working directly with the Commissioner and First Deputy Commissioner, and recommend appropriate innovative strategies and solutions employing IT and OT.
· Participate in agency-wide Risk Management exercises creating standard operating procedures and proactive Cyber Security risk mitigation activities.
· Lead IT&T preparation and response for IT Continuity of Operations (COOP) and Disaster Recovery (DR) including storms, power losses, cyber-attacks, and similar operational challenges
· Research and advocate for the safe and sustainable use of emerging surface transportation technologies and policies such as Automated Vehicles, Advanced Driver Assistance Systems, national Vision Zero initiatives, efforts to improve Equity, Micro-mobility, and Mobility as a Service.
· Represent DOT, at local, state, national, and international conferences and at high-level meetings with oversight agencies, DOT senior management, private vendors and all matters pertaining to DOT’s IT projects and initiatives.
· Negotiate with City Hall, the City’s central IT agency (DoITT) and other oversight agencies to advance DOT Commissioner’s priorities
· Lead and approve all IT&T’s HR, budgeting, purchasing, and contracting activities while ensuring standards that reflect IT and OT industry best practices.
· Responsible for the direction and oversight of all agency-wide telecommunications systems.
· Oversee the division s training program.
· Perform related technical duties at the request of the Commissioner, First Deputy Commissioner, Executive Deputy Commissioner and division leads.
· Comply with requests from NYC’s Department of Investigation and DOT Advocate staff while maintaining confidentiality as required and feasible.
· Perform related managerial duties.
Minimum Qualification Requirements
1. Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college and 4 years of satisfactory experience of a nature to qualify for the duties and responsibilities of the position, at least 18 months of which must have been in an administrative, managerial, consultative or executive capacity or supervising personnel performing activities related to the duties of the position; or
2. A combination of education and/or experience equivalent to “1” above. However, all candidates must have the 18 months of administrative, managerial, executive, consultative or supervisory experience described in “1” above.
· Advanced knowledge of IT & OT, best practices for service management (e.g. ITIL) project management (PMI), and cyber security (e.g. NIST framework and CIS controls)
· Experience innovating to advance DOT’s goals using commercial and open source technologies for application development, geo-spatial planning and analysis, big data processing and analysis, and cyber security
· Experience making critical and creative decisions based on analyses, experience, and industry knowledge of information technology and surface transportation technology
· Experience deciding ‘make or buy’ development strategies for new systems
· Skilled in analyzing and evaluating complex and technical information and making recommendations to agency executives for improvement as well as how best to implement
· Ability to organize, direct and manage the work of high level managers of technical units.
· Ability to lead, prioritize and budget a large variety and volume of projects across multiple clients
· Excellent oral and written communications skills.
· Ability to work under pressure and meet restrictive deadlines.
· 10 years relevant experience
ABOUT NYCDOT: The New York City Department of Transportation (DOT) provides for the safe, efficient, and environmentally responsible movement of people and goods in the City of New York and maintains and enhances the transportation infrastructure crucial to the economic vitality and quality of life of City residents. DOT is an equal opportunity employer, committed to recruiting and maintaining a diverse workforce in an open and inclusive environment.
New York City residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment. However, City Employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County. To determine if the residency requirement applies to you, please discuss with the agency representative at the time of interview.
All resumes are to be submitted electronically.
Current City Employees: Please log into Employee Self Service (ESS) at https://hrb.nycaps.nycnet, follow the Careers link and search for Job ID number 475285.
All other applicants: Please go to www.nyc.gov/careers/search and search for Job ID Number 475285.
If you do not have access to a personal computer: Please visit your local public library. Most public libraries have computers available for use. No phone calls, faxes or personal inquiries permitted. Only those applicants under consideration will be contacted. For more information about DOT, visit us at: www.nyc.gov/dot.
Posting Date: 09/24/2021
Post Until: Filled
The City of New York is an Equal Opportunity Employer
To apply for this job please visit www.nyc.gov.