JOB TITLE: Consulting Application Engineer
GENERAL SUMMARY OF DUTIES – The Consulting Application Engineer is part of the Business Intelligence (BI) Competency Center and provides application (Business Objects, Microstrategy, Teradata, SSRS, SSAS and Tableau) infrastructure support, consulting related to development best practices, and provide lead development expertise to strategic applications. The consultant will work with technical users, business analysts, and business owners to understand requirements and identify solutions. The consultant has significant experience with the design, development, maintenance, and administration of BI projects. Works in conjunction with and may provide leadership to a team of developers to meet technical requirements. The position will be capable of conducting all work with no oversight and will be viewed as an expert in the applications. This position is responsible for a world-class Enterprise Data Warehouse that combines data from four different Lines of Business. Extending and optimizing the data model and working with end-users to optimize report SQL and/or aggregates created for reports.
SUPERVISOR – Director of Business Intelligence
SUPERVISES – N/A
DUTIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
• 20% – Plan, design, and implement upgrade activities to remain on a supported release.
• 5% – Lead capacity planning exercises to appropriately size hardware that meets future needs.
• 10% – Develop BI Reporting architecture, reports, dashboards, guided analytics, and other BI solutions.
• 10% – Create a stable information technology infrastructure by maintaining a consistent release policy; planning, testing, and executing release upgrades with the necessary breadth of participation on the part of development personnel and business users; identifying, reporting, and fixing, — with vendor assistance –, material bugs and deficiencies in the tools; and setting and achieving SLAs that deliver high levels of availability, reliability, and security.
• 5% – Leverage existing (and evolving) standards to achieve consistency in the products that IT&S provides and to speed development by adhering to a relatively narrow technology footprint.
• 5% – Lead in creating product roadmaps for maintaining the currency of and exploiting the features of our BI reporting solutions.
• 15% – Provide assistance for BI reporting solutions to the rest of the IT&S organization. Provision of the guidance takes a number of forms, including: engaging in joint-development with various application development teams, providing second-level to Customer Service and primary support to the rest of the IT&S organization, documenting and communicating standards and procedures, developing and delivering internal training & certification programs, and assisting problem analysis/resolution.
• 5% – Utilize internal and external training opportunities to cross train on other Business Intelligence tools and database platforms such as Business Objects, arcplan, Integration Services, Microsoft Analysis Services, SQL Reporting Services, Microstrategy, SQL Server, Oracle 10g, Teradata, and etc…
• 10% – Mentor other team members to develop their skills in all the BI tools the team supports as well as provide guidance to the other team members on how to consult on BI projects.
• 5% – Participate in local user community groups specializing in Business Intelligence (Teradata, Microstrategy, Business Objects, and Tableau.
• 10% – Attend relevant courses and/or conferences to obtain new skills and information regarding BI Tools.
• Adheres to and supports organizational IT&S standards, policies, and procedures.
• Adheres to Code of Conduct.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
• Communication – communicates clearly and concisely, verbally and in writing. This includes utilizing proper punctuation, correct spelling and the ability to transcribe accurately.
• Customer orientation – establishes and maintains long-term customer relationships, building trust and respect by consistently meeting and exceeding expectations
• Interpersonal skills – able to work effectively with other employees, patients and external parties
• PC skills – demonstrates proficiency in Microsoft Office applications and others as required
• Policies & Procedures – demonstrates knowledge and understanding of organizational policies, procedures and systems
• Basic skills – demonstrates ability to organize, perform and track multiple tasks accurately in short timeframes, have ability to work quickly and accurately in a fast-paced environment while managing multiple demands, ability to work both independently and collaboratively as a team player, adaptability, analytical and problem solving ability and attention to detail and able to perform basic mathematical calculations, balance and reconcile figures, punctuate properly, spell correctly and transcribe accurately.
• Associate Degree required
• College degree preferred but comparable industry experience acceptable
• 7+ years of experience required
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORKING CONDITIONS – Requires prolonged sitting, some bending, stooping and stretching. Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, photocopier, telephone, calculator and other office equipment. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare and communicate appropriate reports. Requires lifting papers or boxes up to 50 pounds occasionally. Work is performed in an office environment. Work may be stressful at times. Contact may involve dealing with angry or upset people. Staff must remain flexible and available to provide staffing assistance for any/all disaster or emergency situations. Occasional travel to division data center and/or other facilities may be required.
OSHA CATEGORY – The normal work routine involves no exposure to blood, body fluids, or tissues (although situations can be imagined or hypothesized under which anyone, anywhere, might encounter potential exposure to body fluids). Persons who perform these duties are not called upon as part of their employment to perform or assist in emergency care or first aid, or to be potentially exposed in some other way.
To apply for this job please visit hca.taleo.net.