Logistics done differently.
You are always looking for a better, more efficient way to improve productivity. At XPO Logistics, we are looking for people who can effectively incorporate strategies to help people work smarter. As the Principal Data Engineer, you will be responsible for leading and driving the overall design and implementation of solutions that involve developing end-to-end data solutions to support strategic initiatives and ongoing business processes. You will coordinate the execution of work across team members, guide architectural troubleshooting, and communicate progress and results. If you’re ready to further your career—to go bigger and better—we have an opportunity for you at XPO.
Pay, benefits and more.
We are eager to attract the best, so we offer competitive compensation and a generous benefits package, including full health insurance (medical, dental and vision), 401(k), life insurance, disability, and the opportunity to participate in a company incentive plan.
What you’ll do on a typical day:
- Lead the design and architect technical solutions for data engineering and data science projects including confirming delivery requirements, planning/tracking/communicating resources and delivery plan, and assisting with development work as needed
- Allocate team resources across projects to balance workload according to available capacity, planning dependencies, and prevailing priorities
- Collaborate with IT and business teams to identify and document use cases, performance, and capability requirements and criteria for successful solution delivery
- Troubleshoot technical issues in existing processes and current development work, solicit assistance from other roles and groups, and drive resolution to ensure the integrity of platform quality and project timelines
- Understand and improve shared standard patterns, templates, and artifacts for BI and data warehouse platform architecture, data science development approaches, data models, and new technology adoption and rollout
- Mentor other team members on technical skills, best practices, problem-solving approaches, and standard patterns used at XPO Logistics; proactively generalize and share technical approaches and best practices among other developers, and simplify and communicate completed work to broader audiences across the company
- Help support data consumers to ensure they have reliable access to trusted data including periodic responsibility for 24/7 on-call production support
What you need to succeed at XPO:
At a minimum, you’ll need:
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, MIS, Engineering, Business or related field
- 10 years of experience in leading and delivering business solutions that rely on business intelligence, data warehousing, data science, or similar domains
It’d be great if you also have:
- Data Science specialization from Coursera, Udacity, Data Camp, etc.
- R/Python certifications; Certified Business Intelligence Professional from TDWI, and Data Management Professional from DAMA; certifications in data modeling and data engineering
- Knowledge of cloud solutions (preferably in Amazon suite of products – Redshift, EC2, Athena, Kinesis, QuickSight); strong understanding and experience in data analytics and visualization using R/Python
- 10 years of experience delivering solutions in at least two of the following: data modeling, data integration, data analysis, SQL; 2 years of experience in at least two areas: data science, big data, R/Python, and Machine Learning
- Successfully delivered 10 projects in data engineering, data science, or data integration as a Tech Lead or Principal
- Analyze, summarize, and characterize large or small data sets with varying degrees of fidelity or quality, and identify and explain any insights or patterns within them
- Experience in building data models in MPP architecture preferably Netezza/Teradata/Redshift; building logical data models and physical data models and normalizing techniques with 3NF (using tools like ERWin)
- Familiarity with and working knowledge of DMBOK (Data Management Book of Knowledge) core concepts (general data management, governance, architecture, development, security, quality, metadata management, MDM, etc.)
- Strong understanding of core principles of data science and machine learning; experience developing solutions using related tools and libraries
- Ability to write SQL fluently, recognize and correct inefficient or error-prone SQL, and perform test-driven validation of SQL queries and their results
Be part of something big.
XPO provides cutting-edge supply chain solutions to the world’s most successful companies, including Disney, Pepsi, L’Oréal, Toyota and many others. We’re the fastest-growing transportation company on the Fortune 500 list and we’re just getting started.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, disability, veteran, or other protected status.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
To apply for this job please visit itjobpro.com.