Responsible for planning and designing new software and web applications. Analyzes, tests and assists with the integration of new applications. Oversees the documentation of all development activity. Trains non-technical personnel. Assists with tracking performance metrics. Provides guidance and support to other Engineers. Integrates knowledge of business and functional priorities. Acts as a key contributor in a complex and crucial environment. May lead teams or projects and shares expertise. Xumo, a joint venture between Comcast and Charter, was formed to develop and offer a next-generation streaming platform on a variety of branded 4K streaming devices and smart TVs. Powered by Comcast’s global technology platform, Xumo devices and services feature an entertainment experience designed to make it easy for consumers to find and enjoy their favorite streaming content through a world-class user interface and voice search, and for partners to meaningfully connect and engage with millions of consumers.
Additional Job Summary/Info:
We are seeking an experienced Principal DevOps Engineer to lead our DevOps technical direction and deliver our world class video streaming technology to all parts of the globe.
As a Principal DevOps Engineer for the Xumo Software Engineering Team, you’ll lead the DevOps for our in-house Video Content Management System (CMS). The role will require strong skills with managing microservice clusters by networking the services with multiple other microservice clusters, database, messaging components, CDN and API Gateways. To succeed in this role, it's necessary to continuously face challenging issues, to provide clear technical solutions which satisfies the business requirement from product, operation, and engineering team. You will use various methods and data engineering technologies to manage more than one hundred cloud components on our cloud server platform. This job also requires familiarity with cloud server logging, security, and privacy protection to manage API and database accesses.
Position is office based in Irvine, CA- 4 days/week & 1 day/week, virtual
Lead microservices operation in Google Cloud
Manage deployments creating release plans with management team and developers.
Manage CI/CD, to automate software builds, testing and deployment, using Jenkins etc.
Manage GitHub repositories and branches that well work with CI/CD pipelines.
Manage revisions and dependencies with all deployed environments.
Manage IaC (Infrastructure as Code), implementing and maintain using tools like Terraform etc.
Manage deployments across dev, staging and production environments.
Manage security of DevOps pipelines with compliance standards
Optimizing server environment performance
Monitor cloud allocated resources and performance.
Maintain cloud resource, upgrade Kubernetes clusters and remove unused resources.
Maintain monitoring dashboard and alert system, to detect unexpected behaviors.
Manage server loggings and monitoring with Stackdriver, Cloud Watch, Nagios, and other loggings.
Stay current with industry advancements and adoption into the organization.
Establish DevOps engineer best practices.
Managing server incidents
Reacting to reported alerts from the alerting system.
Investigate incident symptoms using Stackdriver, Nagios and other data.
Quickly assess impact to service and manage process to restore service.
8+ years’ experience of DevOps experience in live/service production environments
8+ years’ experience with Linux based environments (CentOS, OSX)
8+ years’ experience with Microservices (VM, Kubernetes, SQL, Message Queue)
5+ years’ experience with cloud-based services (Google Cloud, GKE, Cloud SQL)
5+ years’ experience with CI/CD (Jenkins, Terraform, Sonar Cloud, Puppet)
5+ years’ experience with networking experience (Load balancer, Firewalls, VPC, CDN)
5+ years’ experience with monitoring tools (Stackdriver, Nagios)
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in the field of Computer Science or Engineering
Strong ability to communicate effectively with technical and non-technical members.
Self-starter to able to work with minimal supervision for high quality output.
Experience manipulating video contents (content metadata, caption file, video format file, etc.)
Experience of Online Video Streaming (HLS, MPEG-Dash, RTP) with Cloud Server Platform (AWS or GCP), or video encoding
Site reliability engineering experience
- Collaborates with project stakeholders to identify product and technical requirements. Conducts analysis to determine integration needs.
- Designs new software and web applications, supports applications under development and customizes current applications. Develops software update processes for existing applications. Assists in the roll-out of software releases.
- Trains junior Software Development Engineers on internally developed software applications.
- Oversees the researching, writing and editing of documentation and technical requirements, including software designs, evaluation plans, test results, technical manuals and formal recommendations and reports.
- Keeps current with technological developments within the industry. Monitors and evaluates competitive applications and products. Reviews literature, patents and current practices relevant to the solution of assigned projects.
- Assists with technical leadership throughout the design process and assists in guidance with regards to practices, procedures and techniques. Serves as a guide mentor for Software Development Engineers.
- Assists in tracking and evaluating performance metrics. Ensures team delivers software on time, to specification and within budget.
- Works with Quality Assurance team to determine if applications fit specification and technical requirements. Tests and evaluates systems, subsystems and components.
- Acts as a technical contact and liaison for outside vendors and/or customers.
- Presents and defends architectural, design and technical choices to internal and external audiences.
- Consistent exercise of independent judgment and discretion in matters of significance.
- Regular, consistent and punctual attendance. Must be able to work nights and weekends, variable schedule(s) and overtime as necessary.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Employees at all levels are expected to:
- Understand our Operating Principles; make them the guidelines for how you do your job.
- Own the customer experience – think and act in ways that put our customers first, give them seamless digital options at every touchpoint, and make them promoters of our products and services.
- Know your stuff – be enthusiastic learners, users and advocates of our game-changing technology, products and services, especially our digital tools and experiences.
- Win as a team – make big things happen by working together and being open to new ideas.
- Be an active part of the Net Promoter System – a way of working that brings more employee and customer feedback into the company – by joining huddles, making call backs and helping us elevate opportunities to do better for our customers.
- Drive results and growth.
- Respect and promote inclusion & diversity.
- Do what's right for each other, our customers, investors and our communities.
- This information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications.
Sr. Director, Engineering
Comcast is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. Comcast will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable law, including the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance and the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
While possessing the stated degree is preferred, Comcast also may consider applicants who hold some combination of coursework and experience, or who have extensive related professional experience.
Relevant Work Experience
10 Years +
Primary Location Pay Range: $160,364.14 – $240,546.21
Comcast intends to offer the selected candidate base pay within this range, dependent on job-related, non-discriminatory factors such as experience.
Base pay is one part of the Total Rewards that Comcast provides to compensate and recognize employees for their work. Most sales positions are eligible for a Commission under the terms of an applicable plan, while most non-sales positions are eligible for a Bonus. Additionally, Comcast provides best-in-class Benefits. We believe that benefits should connect you to the support you need when it matters most, and should help you care for those who matter most. That’s why we provide an array of options, expert guidance and always-on tools, that are personalized to meet the needs of your reality – to help support you physically, financially and emotionally through the big milestones and in your everyday life. Please visit the compensation and benefits summary on our careers site for more details.
To apply for this job please visit itjobpro.com.