8901 – Corp Office West Crk – 12800 Tuckahoe Creek Parkway, Richmond, Virginia, 23238
CarMax, the way your career should be!
About this job
At CarMax, we are industry disruptors with an unrivaled amount of automotive consumer data. Working on many different aspects our Principal Engineers research and discover new opportunities and shape data products to fulfill enterprise needs for data. From inception to completion, you will develop tools and technology, learning quickly from our spirit of experimentation. You will have a direct impact on improving the performance of our business and ensuring customers can buy the vehicles they want in a way that’s right for them!
What you will do – Essential Responsibilities
- Lead data management and migration projects
- Develop, maintain, and review data processes and architecture for both on-premise and cloud-based data systems
- Conduct team reviews and recommend data modeling, administrative, and design improvements
- Demonstrate ability to learn and research advanced data technologies and concepts, learning new skills and software as necessary
- Work closely with team members to optimize database queries
- Produce highly detailed document artifacts and maintain them
- Assess all risks and offer mitigation strategies, communicating impacts to product across multiple channels
- Interpret client functional and informational needs and turn them into data requirements, process models, and active systems
- Work with our Salesforce Architects to validate integration logic with unidirectional and bidirectional data flows to and from Salesforce and other client source systems.
- Analyze requirements to determine appropriate solution designs considering capabilities, limitations, and design trade-offs.
- Implement data solutions including big data management strategies, data migrations, and data hygiene.
- Given a large, poorly understood problem, can explore the solution space (possibly with numerous POCs) to determine correct course of action. Participates in and supports initiatives outside of main area of responsibility.
- Turns highly complex logical designs into technical designs for implementation. Often requiring experimentation with a POC.
- The data engineer will be considered a blend of data and analytics “evangelist,” and “fixer.” This role will promote the available data and analytics capabilities and expertise to business unit leaders and educate them in leveraging these capabilities in achieving their business goals.
- Shapes coding methodologies and best practices.
- Work with data governance team members and information stewards and participate in vetting and promoting content created in the business and by data scientists to the curated data catalog for governed reuse.
Purpose of the role
The Principal Data Engineer (Salesforce) plays a pivotal role in operationalizing the most-urgent data and analytics initiatives. This role is responsible for understanding the full life cycle of data throughout the Salesforce ecosystem.
The bulk of the data engineer’s work would be in building, managing and optimizing data pipelines and then moving these data pipelines effectively into production for key data and analytics consumers (like business/data analysts, data scientists or any persona that needs curated data for data and analytics use cases).
Data engineers also need to guarantee compliance with data governance and data security requirements while creating, improving, and operationalizing these integrated and reusable data pipelines. This would enable faster data access, integrated data reuse and vastly improved time-to-solution for CarMax’s data and analytics initiatives.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Degree in Computer Science, Decision Science, Engineering, Statistics, or a related field, or equivalent alternative education, skills, and/or practical experience is required.
- 8+ years of work experience required in data management disciplines including [data integration, modeling, optimization and data quality], and/or other areas directly relevant to data engineering responsibilities and tasks.
- Strong experience working with large, heterogeneous datasets in building and optimizing data pipelines, pipeline architectures and integrated datasets using traditional data integration technologies. These should include [ETL/ELT, data replication/CDC, message-oriented data movement]
- Strong experience with popular database programming languages including [SQL, PL/SQL, SoQL] on both relational and non-relational databases
- Strong experience with data discovery, analytics, and data quality controls
- Strong experience with microservices to serve data
- Strong experience in Salesforce cloud platforms
CarMax disrupted the auto industry by delivering the honest, transparent and high-integrity experience customers want and deserve. This innovative thinking around the way cars are bought and sold has helped us become the nation’s largest retailer of used cars, with over 200 locations nationwide.
Our amazing team of more than 25,000 associates work together to deliver iconic customer experiences. Along the way, we help every associate grow their career and achieve their best, at work and in their community. We are recognized for our commitment to training and diversity and are one of the FORTUNE 100 Best Companies to Work For®.
CarMax is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Upon an applicant’s request, CarMax will consider reasonable accommodation to complete the CarMax Job Application.
To apply for this job please visit itjobpro.com.