Looking to develop innovative algorithm and software solutions for challenging real-world problems in entrepreneurial, collaborative, agile, multidisciplinary teams focused on advancing the state-of-the-art? You’ve found the right place!
BAE Systems is looking for a Principle Software Engineer to join their Special Activity Exploitation (SAX) research group. SAX is part of BAE Systems’ FAST Labs division which is heavily involved in advanced research concepts primarily from the various government research labs and organizations, including DARPA and IARPA. Members of the group are involved in the entire cycle of research development, from the initial concept ideation and program shaping with potential customers and new business pursuits through the execution and transition of research concepts to BAE Systems’ business areas and products. Most programs involve small teams of principal engineers and academically strong assistant researchers.
The SAX directorate is a cutting-edge, multidisciplinary research and engineering organization that is the FAST Labs lead for invention and application of innovative machine learning, control, and optimization approaches to learn patterns of behavior from a wide range of data sources, including real-time sensor feeds. Exploitation uses of these behavioral models include anomaly and change detection, prediction of future behavior, and recognition of complex events and activities. Applications of our technology include terrestrial, maritime, and space domains over a range of sensing modalities (e.g., radar, full motion video, radio communication) spanning the technology readiness spectrum from basic research through fielded operational systems. Our cutting edge projects and opportunities advance the frontiers of science as well as contributing to practical systems that solve real problems.
We are seeking a highly creative Software Engineer to contribute to the development of advanced algorithms and systems in diverse research areas applying machine learning, probabilistic reasoning, adaptive control, and/or optimization to cutting edge problems such as learning normal behavior patterns of tracked entities (e.g., dismounts, vehicles, vessels, aircraft, satellites, software-defined radios, cyber system users and hosts) to detect anomalous activity or changes in patterns, predict future behavior, or provide advance warning of impending threats to friendly assets. You must be highly motivated, have solid problem-solving abilities, and be willing to perform a wide variety of related tasks.
You must be a team player with a proactive attitude and the capacity to be creative and productive in a dynamic, fast-paced environment. You must have strong writing and general communication skills, and strong presentation skills are a definite plus. You may participate in meetings with customers, co-contractors, and/or sub-contractors. Some travel may be required to support customer or collaborator meetings, software integration and testing, and/or capability demonstrations.
As a successful candidate, you: (a) will participate in small teams of research, software, and (potentially) systems engineers that may include members from collaborating universities, other companies, and customer organizations; and (b) will interact directly with customers to participate in design reviews, support integration, testing, and demonstration, and/or produce clear, user-friendly documentation. Solid general written and oral communication skills are critical to your professional success in this role.
U.S. citizenship is required, as is an active TS security clearance, and a current SCI clearance is very strongly preferred. Work for this position will be performed in the Metropolitan DC/Virginia area.Typical Education & Experience Typically a Bachelor’s Degree and 6 years work experience or equivalent experienceRequired Skills and Education Required education:
– Doctorate in Computer Science or Engineering-related discipline with or without professional experience (specialization in Machine Learning, Statistics, Computational Neuroscience, and/or Controls and Optimization particularly valuable) OR
– Masters degree with 6+ years professional experience OR
– Bachelors Degree with 8+ years experience
– U.S. citizenship is required, as is an active TS security clearance, and a current SCI clearance is preferred
– Object-Oriented language experience (Java)
– Object-Oriented analysis and design experience
– Real-time Web Application development (Node, JS)
– Familiarity with design patterns (GoF)
– Test driven development experience
– Solid experience leading exploratory research and development efforts including monitoring and guidance of team member activities
– Solid experience presenting to technical audiences
– Track record of experience demonstrating detailed knowledge (including understanding of strengths and weaknesses of various approaches), application, analysis, and development in at least one of machine learning, probabilistic reasoning, adaptive control, and/or optimization
– Solid analytic and project and personnel leadership skills
– Strong writing and presentation skills sufficient to support: (a) creation and sustainment of lines of research through marketing via direct interaction with customers and proposal writing; and (b) publication of research results in professional, peer-reviewed journals and technical conferences
– MATLAB proficiency to perform: (1) rapid design, prototyping, analysis, and simulation of, and experimentation with, advanced algorithms and applications; and (2) data analysis
– Equally effective communication with lifelong academics, government customers, and professional engineers Preferred Skills and Education
– Current Java software development experience on Windows or Linux
– Current Python experience
– Current Matlab experience
– Experience with any of Distributed Systems, Multi-threaded systems, or Military systems or simulations
– Full Life-Cycle Software Development experience
– Agile Development experience
– Experience designing and/or implementing software algorithms
– Experience developing: User Interfaces, Cybersecurity, Automated Testing
– Familiarity with source control systems and configuration management practices
– Supervision/mentorship of junior staff
– Demonstrated experience in formulating and carrying out research agendasNOTE: Record of publications will be viewed favorablyAbout BAE Systems Electronic Systems BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services.
The Electronic Systems (ES) sector spans the commercial and defense electronics markets with a broad portfolio of mission-critical electronic systems, including flight and engine controls; electronic warfare and night vision systems; surveillance and reconnaissance sensors; secure networked communications equipment; geospatial imagery intelligence products and systems; mission management; and power-and energy-management systems. Headquartered in Nashua, New Hampshire, ES employs approximately 13,000 people globally, with engineering and manufacturing functions primarily in the United States, United Kingdom, and Israel. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Apply on Company Website
Job ID: 37629BR
Help us improve CareerBuilder by providing feedback about this job: .
For your privacy and protection, when applying to a job online, never give your social security number to a prospective employer, provide credit card or bank account information, or perform any sort of monetary transaction. Learn more.
By applying to a job using CareerBuilder you are agreeing to comply with and be subject to the CareerBuilder Terms and Conditions for use of our website. To use our website, you must agree with the Terms and Conditions and both meet and comply with their provisions.
BAE Systems is a global defence, aerospace and security company employing around 83,400 people worldwide. Our wide-ranging products and services cover air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology, and support services. We provide some of the world’s most advanced, technology-led defence, aerospace and security solutions and employ a skilled workforce of some 83,400 people in over 40 countries. Working with customers and local partners, we develop, engineer, manufacture and support products and systems to deliver military capability, protect national security and people and keep critical information and infrastructure secure. Contact Info
– Burlington, MA 01803
To apply for this job please visit itjobpro.com.