Clearance Requirement: A current, active TS/SCI security clearance is required.
Ball Aerospace is powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus. We pioneer discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most. We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely.
At our core, we're passionate, committed people who believe together we can achieve extraordinary things. We work collaboratively with each other, our customers and partners to solve the world's greatest challenges. That means listening to one another, providing feedback and partnering across all levels. We value our inclusive culture where everyone is heard equally and creativity thrives. Each team member is fully invested in our mission and we bring an energy to work every day that propels our business and motivates us all to Go Beyond.®
The Engineering Strategic Capabilities Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers’ missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Principal Systems Engineer
Join the Space Vehicle Systems Engineering team at Ball Aerospace – a diverse group of motivated problem solvers faced with the challenge of enabling a transdisciplinary and integrative approach to the successful realization of space vehicle systems. We're excited about the projects we're involved in and have a strong commitment to the missions we enable. Offering growth opportunities at all levels of skill and experience, we're looking for leaders and innovators who can continue our strong reputation for creativity and technical excellence, while helping to define the future of Ball.
Make a difference. Love what you do. Realize your full potential.
What You'll Do:
- Lead a team of 8-10 engineers performing factory support operations of a on orbit asset.
- Responsible for maintaining and delivering an eco-system of products and services consisting of Vehicle and Simulator Databases, Operational Procedures, on-call support, trending analysis, and discrepancy fixes.
- Facilitate and coordination of subsystem Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) in supporting anomaly investigation, resolution, and trade studies on vehicle optimization / performance.
- Primary technical interface with customers, mission partners, functional engineering, and program management for the eco-system of products and services.
- Participate in a rotational on-call pager support for the on-orbit asset.
- Provide mentoring and guidance to junior to mid-level engineers on Vehicle design, analysis, trending, and operations.
- Work with Program Management and Functional Management on staffing needs to support the eco-system.
- Lead, support, and participate in meetings for the program, customer, and team that support the Operations and Maintenance business rhythm of the eco-system.
- Coordination with supply chain management on subcontracts that provide vendor level support to vehicle components.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Capabilities Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 12 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level related degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of related experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- A current, active TS/SCI security clearance is required.
- Experience in at least one or more lifecycle phases of Vehicle design, production, test, initialization, sustainment, and operations.
- Exposure and understanding of enterprise architectures (ground systems, simulators, operations, and data processing).
- Experience with failure review board processes and anomaly investigation processes.
- Direct experience in a vehicle subsystem.
- Ability to be self-motivated, excellent communication skills, and comfortability interacting with stakeholders and customers at various levels.
- Budgeting, staffing, and costing experience preferred.
- Mission mindset towards execution and strategic decisions impacting the eco-system.
- Ability to foster an environment of inclusion where team members can participate and grow.
- Extensive knowledge of spacecraft systems, subsystems, and current industry offerings preferred.
- Working knowledge of most spacecraft subsystems sufficient to lead requirements allocation, design trades and performance assessment preferred.
- Demonstrated leadership skills with spacecraft design and development teams for concepts, proposals, or programs preferred.
- Ability to brainstorm ideas and identify important trades, especially those that drive cost or schedule preferred.
- Ability to negotiate and help define customer/partner requirements preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to effectively lead group discussions and set priorities and delegate as required to meet objectives preferred.
- Experience in multidisciplinary teamwork environment with small team leadership responsibilities preferred.
- A desire to learn preferred – our culture fosters intellectual curiosity in a highly collaborative environment.
Full-Time On-Site Work Environment: This position requires regular in-person engagement by working on-site full-time. Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
- Ball Aerospace is a drug-free workplace, which is imperative to the health and safety of all employees and is required as a condition of receiving contracts from federal agencies. Please remember that regardless of the legalization of marijuana in Colorado and other states, possession and use continues to be illegal under the federal Controlled Substances Act. This includes the use of some CBD products. A post-offer, pre-employment drug test is a condition of employment.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or cleanroom, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
Verification that your current security clearance or government customer access meets the requirement for this position will be required.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $150,000 – $189,000 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
To apply for this job please visit itjobpro.com.