Public Safety Technical Analyst/Software Developer
The City of Seattle is seeking a dedicated technology professional motivated to provide excellent service in Public Safety for the role of a Public Safety Technical Analyst/Software Developer in our Application Division of the Seattle Information Technology Department (Seattle IT). This role will have support responsibilities for the Dispatch, Safety, and Records (DSR) Applications team. The Technical Analyst will focus on applications used by our police Public Safety Answering Points (PSAP) such as; Versaterm Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) software, the Intrado/Viper phone software system, and Mark 43 Police Records Management software.
In addition to back end technical service, this role also provides expert guidance to public safety staff on how to best use the software solutions available to support business goals, identifies opportunities for system improvements, and assists with prioritization of the requested improvements. The Technical Lead/ Software Developer’s role works closely with business users, technical peers, and software vendors on troubleshooting issues and configuring the applications.
The role will at times be assigned to work on various projects. Projects range in size from simple configuration change requests through multi-month projects, requiring an understanding of good project management and software design life cycles.
The successful candidate will have a solid understanding of Linux environments and ideally have experience with Linux administration. The primary roles (60%+) of the candidates time will be application support with 911 dispatch software performing task like triaging reported issues; working in partnership with software vendors preparing software configuration changes and updates; and working closely with other IT teams and business customers to help empower them to meet business needs with their current applications. You will engage with customers daily so strong people skills and the ability to build relationships with vendors and customers are needed. The successful candidate will spend up to 15-20% of their efforts performing Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) practices on custom SPD and SFD applications. Due to the Public Safety nature of this role, 24 x 7 on call rotation, carrying a pager, and high availability to support the DSR is required. This is an ideal opportunity for someone who enjoys variety in their work, is committed to public service and safety, and is looking for a challenging position in a team-oriented tech organization.
Note: Hours worked over 40 in a work week are eligible for overtime or compensatory time at 1.5 x hourly rate.
About the Team:
The team supports multiple applications including two Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) Systems (Versaterm and Tritech), three Records Management systems (Versaterm, ESO and FDM) and many smaller Public Safety related applications. The team supports layers of interdependent software solutions for the two 911 dispatch centers. It is a fast paced environment requiring solid team work, good communication practices and technical aptitude. The applications DSR supports are used by SPD and SFD civilian and uniformed staff, and they are a mix of vendor hosted Software as a Service (SaaS), “Commercial Off the Shelf” (COTS) and custom developed software. The working environment involves interfacing daily with para-military organizations (Police and Fire uniformed members) and understanding of how IT services aid them with critical business functions. In this dynamic environment, the team motto is : “It’s never boring!”
- Work with customers and other IT staff to identify technical issues, report these to the vendors or internal IT teams, track and manage the resolutions with the use of various software reporting tools (i.e.Service Hub, Salesforce).
- Perform application maintenance task including but not limited to: Software upgrades, define disaster recovery strategies, understanding technology trends with PSAP/NextGen 911, test new enhancements and software features, update QA and training environments, update application configurations to meet changes in the business needs.
- Manage software vendors, tracking reported issues, communicating priority and business needs around outstanding issues, assisting with the applying of software updates/fixes, building good partnership relationships.
- This position will coordinate and work closely with the E-911 Program Office for 911-related VIPER ACD administration work.
- Document detailed business requirements, business rules and functional requirements.
- Develop requirements and technical specifications for retiring / outdated applications and reports, and manage the transition of development work for those interfaces and reports into modern sustainable solutions.
- Create test plans, write test procedures, test, and work with business staff for end-user testing.
- Provide tier two support for the Dispatch, Safety and Records application; troubleshoot reported defects, identify and implement solutions. Work with vendor to resolve product defects.
- Follow established project or departmental review and approval processes and standards for all work.
- Work with other IT teams in applications and other divisions as needed to meet Seattle IT’s standard levels of service.
- Support department goals in promoting diversity, race and social justice.
- Research and analyze business processes, and develop business process diagrams and associated documentation to describe current and future-state business processes with a goal of achieving improved efficiency, usability and reduced cost.
NOTE: Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered for the required qualifications.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Science, Technology, Engineering or Math (STEM), Business Administration.
- In-depth experience as Technical Lead, a business systems analyst, information technology support, or a combination of education and experience that demonstrates the ability to perform the position duties (typically 3-5+ years.)
- Experience implementing off-the-shelf business applications, including gap-fit analyses, capabilities assessments, design, configuration and testing.
- Good general knowledge of database structures and tools (such as SQL, Oracle, MS Access, etc.), including the ability to design and execute queries.
- Experience using standard Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC) templates to create requirements, design and technical specification documentation.
- Ability to manage scope as it pertains to areas of responsibility and keep the project manager and supervisor informed of changes and impact to assigned projects.
- Ability to work independently while maintaining appropriate communications with supervisor about progress and issues.
- Ability to manage time well to meet project milestones.
- Good communication skills, including strong writing skills (spelling, grammar and clarity). Able to communicate with both technical and business staff.
- Ability to effectively work in a multi-cultural workplace with a diverse customer base.
- Ability to identify and document risks, opportunities and efficiencies related to assigned work.
- Experience maintaining Public Safety or High Availability software systems in a rapidly changing environment.
- Experience working in a Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP) E-911 and/or public safety environment
- Extensive experience as the Technical Lead managing work requests of small- to medium sized applications (typically 3+ years)
- An understanding of ITIL methodology and experience implementing it.
- An understanding of Waterfall and Agile software development methods.
- Experience working with Police and Fire uniformed and civilian staff in a para-military environment.
- Experience working with multiple Computer Aided Dispatch Systems
- Experience working in government and/or public sector.
- Experience with data analysis and presenting data results at a management level, including development of dashboards, charts, etc.
To apply for this job please visit itjobpro.com.