Closing On: 23/06/2018
Senior Automation Engineer
Americas, USA, Minnesota, Plymouth
Project engineer/PM responsible for identifying and leading automated equipment projects to increase production capacity, improve product quality and meet unit cost targets for medium to high volume assembly and packaging processes. Must be able to run large scale projects across a global manufacturing network while coordinating activities from a variety of internal functions and external partners.
Duties and Responsibilites
* Responsible to deliver automation projects on time, at cost and quality targets, while monitoring progress and taking necessary action to beat established targets.
* Generating and communicating detailed project plans, Gantt charts, work breakdown structures, and resource requirements for successful project completions.
* Design, Development, evaluation, start-up and optimization of high volume automated assembly and packaging equipment
* Provide support for capital expenditure projects by developing user requirements, obtaining vendor proposals, supporting design reviews, FAT, SAT, commissioning and validation activities for facilities-related control systems.
* Develops manufacturing processes by studying product requirements; researching, designing, modifying, and testing manufacturing methods and equipment; identifying and conferring with equipment vendors.
* Detailed knowledge of machine design principles and metal fabrication processes
* Extensive knowledge of manufacturing processes and the ability to translate that knowledge into reliable equipment designs that enhance Smiths Medical’s production capabilities
* Working knowledge of vibratory feeder bowls, cam driven mechanisms, vision systems, PLC’s, pick and place mechanisms, dispensing devices and motion control systems
* Completes design and development projects by training and guiding technicians and junior engineers.
* Assists Manufacturing leadership team with capacity expansion plans and initiatives
* Able to work effectively across all levels of the organization
* Develop close working relationships with, and collaborate with, personnel at other Smiths Medical locations especially where a regular exchange of information is required.
* Collate, prepare and submit components, products and materials for testing.
* Provide oversight for contractors installing and commissioning mechanical systems to ensure correct installation, start-up activity and verification.
* Oversee mechanical systems installation and participate in commissioning activities.
* Work closely with Manufacturing, Facilities, Quality and Validation departments.
* Responsible for exhibiting professional behavior with both internal and external business associates that reflects positively on the company and is consistent with the company’s policies and practices.
Required Skills and Experience
* BS Mechanical or Electrical Engineering.
* 7 yrs. Experience in Automated Assembly, Packaging and manufacturing equipment design.
* Willing to travel internationally and domestically up to 20% of the time.
* 5+ years industrial experience in Medical Manufacturing Engineering.
* Program management certification (PMI) preferred. Demonstrated program or project management skills.
* Product and Process Development experience .
* Solid working knowledge of QMS procedures for GMP.
* Experience developing URS and SW requirements and supporting Automation developments
* Experience in a minimum of two of the following manufacturing engineering areas: PCBA assembly, Sheet Metal Fabrication, Plastic Injection Molding, Final assembly, Test and Validation, Automation and Process Control.
* Technical presentation skills.
At Smiths Medical, we are passionate about improving and saving the lives of patients through high quality, innovative medical devices and services. We are a leading global manufacturer of specialty medical devices that provides innovative and lifesaving solutions for the world’s healthcare markets.
Specializing in Infusion Therapy, Vascular Access, Vital Care, and Specialty Products & Services, our products are found in hospital, emergency, home and specialty care environments and are used during critical and intensive care, surgery, post-operative care and for supporting managing chronic illness.
Smiths Medical is an EEO/AA Employer/Vet/Disabled
If you require assistance with our online job submission process, please contact our Talent Acquisition team at ************ to request an accommodation. Additionally, Smiths Medical invites interested deaf and hard of hearing applicants to use Video Relay Service (VRS).
To apply for this job please visit itjobpro.com.