Pacific Life is investing in bright, agile and diverse talent to contribute to our mission of innovating our business and creating a superior customer experience. We’re actively seeking a talented Senior Data Scientist to join our Consumer Markets Division Data Science Team in Newport Beach, CA. This role can be on-site, hybrid, or remote.
As a Senior Data Scientist, you’ll play a key role in Pacific Life’s growth and long-term success by providing model driven insights to business partners such as Sales, Marketing, Finance, Actuarial sciences, Compliance, and IT in a Do/Partner/Support model. If you have worked on projects with business partners to deliver insights through analytical modelling and rapid hypothesis testing, you’re a great fit for this role. Currently, our profitable team is employing Machine Learning, and cutting-edge data structures, while also working to drive ROI through traditional methods such as General Linear Models, Clustering, and Decision Trees. We also enable business functions to build models and perform analysis themselves through our Community of Practice.
Reporting to the Director of Data Science, the individual contributor will be able to work with business units to understand their needs and work independently to deliver a potential analytical solution be it actionable insights or an operational model in production that drives quantifiable value.
How you will make an impact:
Modeling and Hands-on Analytics (50%): This will involve opportunities to choose the right model and obtain insights for the business use case. Models include time series, clustering, classification, regression, and more advanced methods. Model design includes envisaging metrics related to eventual “value provided”.
Client engagement and project management (30%): The Analytics team members work with our internal clients and function as the Subject Matter Expert (SME) liaison for their area of business. This includes engaging with the business partners to frame “the right question to ask”. The scope of engagement includes managing the analytics project life cycle in an agile framework.
Analytics Practice Research and advancement (20%): The Senior data scientist will have an opportunity to be an ambassador for the Advanced Analytics team and to opine on / participate in sourcing and assessing new technologies in the analytics space. Data scientists also help propagate the knowledge of their craft across the business.
The experience you will bring:
- 8+ years of experience, including 4+ years of recent hands-on experience in predictive model development and deployment
- PhD or Master’s degree in statistics, engineering or related quantitative field
- Proficiency in statistical analysis, quantitative analytics, forecasting/predictive analytics, multivariate testing, and optimization algorithms
- Fluency with design and analysis of experiments (A/B testing) and adaptive sampling methods
- Experience working directly with business partners to provide solutions to complex problems
- Technical skills in modeling (AI/ML), R and/or Python, SQL, AutoML tools like DataRobot, H2O driverless AI, Knime
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills that align with the people-first culture at PL
- Passionate about achieving results and comfortable operating in uncharted territory
- Ability to challenge status quo and help others achieve while working in an “Agile” mindset
- Undergraduate Degree in Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics or similar quantitative discipline
What will make you stand out:
- Proven track record of delivering analytics products for Sales Enablement and Marketing Attribution, Salesforce/CRM integration highly preferred
- Strong knowledge of and measurable experience in natural language processing with transformer architecture a plus
- Financial Services experience, particularly in the Insurance and Retirement industry
- Six-sigma or lean process improvement credentials and experience
- Consulting, client relationship and project management experience
- Knowledge of visualization tools (Tableau, Power BI, etc.)
- Knowledge of ML Ops and model deployment platforms like ML Flow, AWS Sagemaker, Snowflake/Snowpark
- Track record of collaborative delivery; strong willingness to teach others
You belong at Pacific Life
At Pacific Life we are committed to a culture of belonging, a space where all employees are empowered to be authentic. One way we cultivate an inclusive culture is through our employee connection groups. The purpose of these employee-led groups is to offer a place to build community, connection, camaraderie, and a sense of belonging. Each group can be active in education, advocacy, recruitment, and community building throughout our organization.
Base Pay Range:
The base pay range noted represents the company’s good faith minimum and maximum range for this role at the time of posting. The actual compensation offered to a candidate will be dependent upon several factors, including but not limited to experience, qualifications and geographic location. Also, most employees are eligible for additional incentive pay.
$159,660.00 – $195,140.00
Your Benefits Start Day 1
Your wellbeing is important to Pacific Life, and we’re committed to providing you with flexible benefits that you can tailor to meet your needs. Whether you are focusing on your physical, financial, emotional, or social wellbeing, we’ve got you covered.
- Prioritization of your health and well-being including Medical, Dental, Vision, and Wellbeing Reimbursement Account that can be used on yourself or your eligible dependents
- Generous paid time off options including: Paid Time Off, Holiday Schedules, and Financial Planning Time Off
- Paid Parental Leave as well as an Adoption Assistance Program
- Competitive 401k savings plan with company match and an additional contribution regardless of participation
Pacific Life Insurance Company is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action Employer, M/F/D/V. If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request an accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our career center as a result of your disability. To request an accommodation, contact a Human Resources Representative at Pacific Life Insurance Company.
To apply for this job please visit itjobpro.com.