Excellence Leaves a Lasting Impression
Bring Your Vision to shape a better world.
At Arup, our innovative spirit compels us to express our ingenuity in unique ways —developing many of the world’s most innovative and sustainable buildings, transport and civil engineering projects. Arup is a global engineering and consulting firm of 14,000 creative minds. Our integrated approach to engineering and design brings together the best professionals to meet our clients’ needs.
Our New York or New Jersey office is seeking a Senior Fire Protection Engineer to play an active regional role in the management, consultation and design of industrial and laboratory projects. This position will work closely with leading architects/engineers, process designers, end-users and building developers/owners developing innovative, facility-specific, and performance-based solutions for a wide range of commercial, government and institutional projects.
This position will work closely with the Americas regional fire leadership on project delivery and business development activities focused on the growth of Arup’s Science & Industry offerings in the Americas and beyond.
You will be working with a creative, innovative, and self-motivated team of fire safety consultants in New York, in the Americas Region and across other Arup regions. We are supported by Arup’s Fire Engineering teams located in 20 offices around the world. The successful candidate will manage their own projects and junior engineers being supported by the wider team as necessary. The role will involve interactive and collaborative working with our fire engineers and multi-disciplinary colleagues.
As a senior member of the Fire Engineering team, the candidate will have strong negotiating skills and experience in leading project teams. The candidate will be a team player capable of imparting knowledge and experience, peer review and mentoring for more junior members of the team.
The candidate should possess the following base skills and competencies:
• Experience in code consulting, calculations/modeling for hazardous areas, risk assessments, and suppression/detection for special hazards
• Additional experience in developing performance-based strategies and/or code alternates, utilizing basic fire engineering and chemical hazard principles
• FPE degree and/or chemical engineering degree, with industrial, manufacturing and/or process facility experience welcome.
• Be able to manage multiple projects immediately, including developing proposals, project planning, staffing, budgeting, monitoring and successful project delivery
• Must have experience with ICC (IBC, IFC, IMC) model building and fire codes and NFPA 30, 45, 55, etc.
Desired skills & qualifications:
• 6+ years of experience in fire engineering or chemical process safety engineering
• Master’s degree in engineering discipline, preferably fire protection/fire engineering
• Project experience in a broad range of industrial & laboratory projects that might include sectors such as: bio/pharmaceutical, semiconductor/flat panel, consumer products, chemical production/storage, and fueling operations, as well as varying types of hazardous materials (gases, liquids and solids).
• Strong industrial/laboratory owner and designer relationships in the Americas
• Proven experience in presenting special hazards design approaches to code officials
• Skill in preparing code/standard equivalencies and variances
• PE in fire protection engineering and/or chemical engineering
• Candidate will ideally have experience in a number of the following skill sets:
• Group H occupancy and Control Area design
• Hazardous ventilation requirements and design
• Electrically classified (hazardous) locations
• Spill control & secondary containment
• Protection for special hazards – eg. foam/water suppression and gas/flame detection
• FM Global Datasheets
• Suppression design basis for flammable and combustible liquid storage
• Combustible dust hazard evaluation
• Chemical processing and associated unit operations
• Design of fire suppression systems
• AutoCAD and Revit experience
Candidate must possess good communication skills essential for team-based working, excellent planning and organization skills required for our fast-paced environment, and must be highly motivated, proactive and willing to take on new challenges.
Share your passion and experience in a global culture that believes your potential to achieve is endless. This is your opportunity to shine.
Arup is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this job please visit itjobpro.com.