At Arup, our innovative spirit compels us to express our ingenuity in unique ways — engineering, planning, designing, and consulting on many of the most renowned projects in the built environment. We aim to deliver technical excellence, innovation, and value to clients, while maintaining our core mission of shaping a better world. The firm opened its first office over 70 years ago and now employs 13,000 people globally. Since its founding in 1946, members of Arup have developed transformative ways of working. Adapting to the ever changing environment, our work is focused on ambitiously reimagining a sustainable and resilient future for cities. Arup is rising to these new challenges: by bringing together broad-minded individuals from a wide range of disciplines, investing in research, innovating and creating better solutions for clients and the wider world.
Our New York Office is currently seeking a Senior Mechanical Engineer to join our Mechanical team.
In this role, you will be responsible for:
- Mechanical engineering with an emphasis on the particular problems of ventilation of subway systems including underground stations and tunnels as well as vehicular tunnels.
- Analysis of subway networks using Subway Environment Simulation (SES) software
- Development of CFD modelling techniques to size, evaluate and optimize tunnel ventilation strategies for sub surface transit systems. Carry out simulations according to the agreed strategy with the client. Analyze and assess the physical meaning, consistency and accuracy of the CFD results. Generate detailed reports of findings.
- Participate in meetings with the client to present the results of CFD modeling.
- Work directly with other CFD modelers, and interact with mechanical, architectural and structural teams.
- Support fire & life safety, tunnel ventilation, and station ventilation design for both normal and emergency conditions.
- Design of tunnel ventilation systems including fans, sound attenuators, ductwork, dampers, etc. from concept to detailed design.
- Developing relationship with clients and supporting business development.
Coordinating with multiple disciplines and working in conjunction with project managers to help complete assigned tasks
Writing reports for internal and external purposes based on findings
Presenting technical material in traditional and innovative ways for review by technical and non-technical audiences
Understanding trends and best practices in the Mechanical Engineering and Tunneling Industry
Participating in local Professional Associations
The Qualified Professional will have:
- Bachelor’s degree/Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent (Master’s or Ph.D. preferred)
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in using computational fluid dynamics codes and SES software for smoke control and fire modeling
- Familiarity with CFD codes for building physics applications
- PE License
- The ability to work under pressure, prioritize effectively, manage deadlines and exceptional organization skills required for our rapidly changing environment
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills essential for team-based working
- Presentation skills with colleagues and clients of all levels
Share your passion and experience in a global culture that believes your potential to achieve is endless.
Arup offers an outstanding benefits package including healthcare, 401k match, time off and profit share. Arup is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this job please visit itjobpro.com.