S & C Electric Company, a global leader for power reliability products is looking for a Senior Software Engineer. Candidates must have a strong background in design and development of embedded software on custom electronics including experience in the following areas: distributed systems, communication protocols, large-scale system analysis, and automation of unit tests.
This is a remote position, located in the United States. Our office locations are in Chicago, IL, Alameda, CA, Rockville, MD, and Franklin, WI. Occasional travel (10%) to one of these facilities may be required for development, system testing, and debug. This position will report to the Manager of Embedded Software.
The work associated with this position includes the following:
- Design and code embedded application firmware using the C language, for Smart Grid controls including implementing new product features, communication protocols, and device drivers
- Participate in Agile Scrum meetings and peer reviews of source code
- Review and implement product requirements
- Create, execute, and automate Unit Tests
- Contribute to software specifications, and test plans
- Investigate new technologies and create design documents as necessary
- Provide project and task schedule estimates
- Develop and support PC-based engineering test tools as needed
- Collaborate with hardware and test engineers to support verification and validation at the integration and system levels
- Work with the product management and field service teams to resolve customer issues quickly
To select this job as one of interest to you, at a minimum, you must have the following:
- Being a team player is essential.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Continuous learner and self-starter
- BS degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or equivalent
- Ten years relevant work experience in embedded real-time software development.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of programming principles in C
- Demonstrated working knowledge of build scripts, Jenkins, Python, Jython, Java, and Robot Framework or equivalents
- Experience with communication protocols including DNP3, and SCADA
- Ethernet and WiFi networking experience
- Familiarity with the following hardware concepts: GPIO, I2C, SPI, ADC, DAC, UART, DMA, flash memory, low power microprocessor modes is a plus
- Working knowledge of Agile methodology fundamentals and continuous process improvement
- Experience with configuration management / process tools: Jira, Confluence, and Bitbucket/Git
- Continuous Integration / Continuous Deploy (CI/CD) build familiarity including Jenkins is a plus
- Embedded Linux experience is a plus
- Experience with electrical power distribution (grid) principles is a plus
- Desktop application programming experience is a plus
MAJOR PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Standing: Occasional standing for work on complete control assemblies.
- Lifting: Occasional lifting of controls and test equipment, less than 50 pounds.
- Walking: Occasional walking throughout the facility.
- Carrying: Occasional carrying of light objects.
- Pushing: Infrequent pushing of objects, possibly related to rearrangement work.
- Pulling: Infrequent pulling of objects, possibly related to rearrangement work.
- Bending: Occasional bending during access to equipment.
- Reaching: Infrequent reaching.
- Handling: Frequent handling of parts or tools.
- Environment: Frequent handling of parts or tools.
S & C – TOP WORKPLACE
- For 2019, S & C Electric Company was named the 10th-best place to work among large employers in the Chicagoland area by The Chicago Tribune as part of the newspaper's prestigious annual Top Workplaces list.
- For 2020, S & C Electric was named as the 15th-Best Workplace in Chicago Tribune’s 11th Annual Report.
- For 2021, S & C Electric was named Among Top 2021 Workplaces in the United States by Top Workplaces USA, the nation’s most credible employer-recognition program.
S&C is a global company providing equipment and services for electric power systems. Founded in 1911, the Chicago-based company designs and manufactures switching and protection products for electric power transmission and distribution. S&C’s Engineering teams design solutions for a portfolio of products for a wide range of customers including electric utilities and industrial/commercial power users. S&C offers broad opportunities for advancement, excellent education and training programs, a challenging work environment, and a strong package of pay and benefits.
The Human Energy of S&C has been built on the principles of integrity, enthusiasm, and sustained energy. These are the traits that S&C has always looked for and found when seeking people to join our 100% employee-owned team. S&C would not be where it is today without the diversity of our team members and business partners. We consider our diversity to be a core strength of our company, and we aspire to align our team-member demographics with the populations in which we live and work. To realize this vision, we seek to facilitate the career development of minorities, women and all team members through events hosted by our Inclusion, Diversity, Engagement and Awareness (I.D.E.A.) Group, Women’s Empowerment Group and other S&C affinity groups.
To apply for this job please visit itjobpro.com.