Requisition ID 2018-44513
Category Info Technology
Position Type Regular Full-Time
Department COM Biomedical Informatics Research
Post End Date 12/10/2018
The Senior Systems Administrator provides cluster and systems administration for a HPC system used by researchers.
This is a provisional position. Provisional positions are funded by external grants or contracts with established end dates. When the grant expires or is not extended, the provisional position will be eliminated. Employees in provisional positions may apply for other positions at UAMS when their provisional position ends.
The Department of Biomedical Informatics (DBMI) is a vibrant environment for research. DBMI hosts multiple National Institutes of Health/National Cancer Institute (NIH/NCI) funded projects and provides biomedical informatics insights to the entire UAMS community. The expertise and research interests of DBMI faculty cover multiple key disciplines of Biomedical Informatics, including Imaging Informatics, Bioinformatics, Clinical Research Informatics, and Semantic Web technologies in the life sciences.
UAMS offers amazing benefits and perks:
* Health: Medical, Dental and Vision plans available for staff and family
* Holiday, Vacation and Sick Leave
* Education discount for staff and dependents (undergraduate only)
* Retirement: Up to 10% matched contribution from UAMS
* Basic Life Insurance up to $50,000
* Career Training and Educational Opportunities
* Merchant Discounts
* Concierge prescription delivery on the main campus when using UAMS pharmacy
Salary offered commensurate with experience.
* Performs maintenance of associated software environments including installation and configuration of open-source and commercial scientific applications.
* Coordinates with the IT department to deploy and maintain hardware and storage solutions for research scientific computing.
* Uses system monitoring and reporting tools to ensure the maintainability, scalability and availability of infrastructure.
* Provides training, support, installation and configuration assistance to researchers.
* Manages and administers production systems used by researchers on a HPC cluster environment, high speed storage and private object-store.
* Installs and configures open-source and commercial scientific applications.
* Works closely with administration and IT purchasing to source and implement appropriate software.
* Maintains software licenses and provide updates and fixes.
* Provides issue support, installation support and solution support.
* Develop and maintain system documentation and user guides.
* May perform other duties as assigned.
* Bachelors degree PLUS one (1) year of experience with Linux systems such as RHEL, CentOS or equivalent OR High School Diploma/GED Plus five (5) years experience with Linux systems such as RHEL, CentOS or equivalent
* Advanced knowledge and understanding of server configurations including services; system scripting such as Unix shells, Python or Bash; and security and network protocols
* Work or education experience in an HPC environment, especially with cluster file systems, scheduling, workflow and resource management tools (Moab/Maui/Torque)
* Knowledge of parallel computing techniques (multi-threading, MPI) and GPU computing with ability to help researchers optimize software for this type of computing environment
* Experience with Singularity container technology
* Knowledge and understanding of security and monitoring software packages including but not limited to O/S, network, application (Nagios, Argus, Ganlia) intrusion detection
* Capable of contributing within a team environment and have an eagerness to learn new technologies
* Should be a self-starter, with ability to problem solve independently
UAMS is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and is committed to excellence.
Bend, crawl, crouch, kneel, stoop, or reach overhead: Occasionally
Lift, push, pull, carry weight: 10 lbs or less
Use hands to touch, handle, or feel: Occasionally
Taste or smell: Occasionally
Read, concentrate, think analytically: Continuously
Physical Environment: Inside Office Environment
Noise Level: Moderate
Visual Requirements: Color discrimination, Depth perception, Far visual acuity, Near visual acuity
To apply for this job please visit itjobpro.com.