The Boeing Company
Leesburg Virginia United States
Boeing is seeking a Satellite Command & Control Software/Systems Engineer to join a dynamic, diverse, and aggressive engineering and development team to create new application software and maintain legacy software. Our software function contains and integrates proprietary commercial software, open source software from the community, and internally developed software.
The candidate would be responsible in creating and maintaining software to accomplish these key mission critical core functions:
– Spacecraft telemetry and telecommand encoding and decoding
– Maintain evolving databases to describe the telemetry, telecommand, data tables, and payload data processing aspects
– Display data to operations users in an intuitive and clear manner
– Store and promptly retrieve years of spacecraft data both sent and received
– Reduce and trend spacecraft data to track and predict hardware/software performance and anomalous behaviors
– Manage the execution of operational procedures to ensure spacecraft operational health and performance
A successful candidate will have a passion for and excel in the following skills and abilities:
– First Time Quality – in our case this means software that meets more than the obvious use case and behaves well even when processing the unexpected
– Strong understanding of the core computing data types from the Java and C programming language
– Comfort working with binary representations of data types, taking into account byte orders, bit orders, endian, twos complement, IEE754, and any other machine representation
– Ability to quickly adapt to reading, understanding, and maintaining software code and interfaces written by someone else, sometimes modern and sometimes several decades old
– Familiarity and experience with the advanced aspects of XML documents, such as Schemas, XPath, and code binding, such as Java JAXB
– Conceiving and implementing easy to use and understand Application Programming Interfaces (API)s for programmers that are not necessarily professional software engineers
– Comfort and desire to focus, interact, and work in a UNIX (Linux) style environment
Boeing is the world’s largest aerospace company and leading manufacturer of commercial airplanes and defense, space and security systems. We are engineers and technicians. Skilled scientists and thinkers. Bold innovators and dreamers. Join us, and you can build something better for yourself, for our customers and for the world.
Space and Launch
Relocation Assistance Available
No. Relocation assistance is not a negotiable benefit.
This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a US Person as defined by 22 C.F.R. 120.15 is required. US Person includes US Citizen, lawful permanent resident, refugee, or asylee.
Basic Qualifications (Required Skills/Experience):
Bachelor, Master or Doctorate of Science degree from an accredited course of study, in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry. ABET is the preferred, although not required, accreditation standard.
Proficiency in Java and C/C++ is a must.
Experience working in an agile software development process
Preferred Qualifications (Desired Skills/Experience):
Reading and Writing the Unified Modeling Language (UML) to formally and informally document designs and algorithms
Use of static and dynamic code analyzers to help ensure code quality
Software unit testing and measuring test completeness with code coverage metrics
Ada, XSLT, Perl, and Python
Degree and typical experience in engineering classification: Bachelor’s and 2 or more years’ experience or a Master’s degree with experience. Bachelor, Master or Doctorate of Science degree from an accredited course of study, in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry. ABET is the preferred, although not required, accreditation standard.
Yes, 10 % of the Time
Contingent Upon Program Award
To apply for this job please visit itjobpro.com.