The Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI) is seeking a Deputy Division Head for Operations (DDHO) in the IT Services Division (ITSD), reporting to the ITSD Division Head. As a member of the ITSD Management Team, the DDHO works closely with the ITSD Division Head, management team and staff to successfully deliver IT Services in support of STScI’s goals.
This position can support hybrid work – you can work from home and report onsite as needed. Candidates must reside in or be willing to relocate to our local market. (MD, DE, VA, PA, DC & WV). Relocation assistance provided.
Located on the Johns Hopkins University campus in Baltimore, MD, STScI is the science operations center for the Hubble Space Telescope (HST) and the science and mission operations center for the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST), which launched in 2021. STScI offers an excellent and generous benefits package, tuition reimbursement, flexible work schedules, and a stimulating and diverse work environment. Relocation assistance may be available. Explore our benefits: http://www.stsci.edu/opportunities/benefits
In this role, you will share in the leadership and management of the IT Services Division including cultural principles of trust, excellence, and respect for all. You will demonstrate leadership in IT service operations, leading staff, managing personnel, and IT financial and procurement oversight. This is a multidimensional role requiring multiple required and demonstrated general skill sets. Specific skills include a strong understanding of, and experience in:
- Overseeing members of the management team responsible for:
- IT security and networking
- Staff-facing services, including the service desk, desktop and laptop computer support, and audio visual services
- IT infrastructure, including servers, storage , backup and identity and access management
- Planning, maintaining and overseeing STScI’s $32M+ IT budget. This includes working with the IT Division Office and Management Team on the budget strategy
- Planning and overseeing all IT procurements to include vendor relationship management and authorization of IT procurements for IT resources including hardware, software, licenses, services and other items related to IT service delivery
- Operations process design, including IT operating models, requests fulfillment, incident management
- Change management processes and associated governance
- Growing a culture and delivery of continual service improvement
- Help formulate ITSD-wide strategic initiatives to enhance the division’s ability to execute against current responsibilities, as well as expand our scope into additional strategic capabilities to support STSCI’s mission
- Supervise and mentor staff
- Oversee staff training requirements and management
- IT incident and problem management
- Foster important ITSD-related communications and relationships within and beyond the division
- Demonstrating an understanding of key ITSD Domain capabilities:
- IT security and networking services
- IT support services
- Datacenter management
- STScI missions support
As a member of the ITSD Management Team you should possess:
- Proven skills as a team leader and staff supervisor, including establishing performance expectations of team members, and evaluating their performance accordingly
- Positive conflict identification and resolution capabilities with team members
- Effective resource management of team members, including tracking and prioritizing of resource allocations, and addressing concerns about the ability to resource against ITSD expectations
- A risk-driven mindset to proactively identify and communicate risks, and collaborate with others to develop effective mitigation strategies
- Effective negotiation skills
- Outstanding communication skills, both verbal and written
- The ability to establish a culture of mentoring and expectations of continuous skills improvement among team member
- Effective project management of both strategic and tactical initiatives
- A demonstrated commitment to advancing ITSD diversity, equity and inclusion objectives
- Proven ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships across the STScI and with external partners
- Ability to balance a customer-oriented service organization with constraints imposed by STScI and our partner organizations, including NASA
- Personal leadership qualities including:
- A commitment to ITSD and STScI success through performance excellence
- Consistent reliability in honoring established commitments
- An emphasis on the success of the team and effective teamwork, beyond their individual success
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in design, delivery, and support of IT services. Demonstrated ability to run IT service teams.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in leadership and management, including personnel management, career development of staff, and mentoring.
- Training in IT service management including ITIL Foundation certification; advanced ITIL certifications preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in IT or related area. Advanced degree is a plus. Substitution of experience will be considered.
Candidates must be a US citizen or Permanent Resident. ITAR clearance is required.
To Apply: Share your experience by completing an on-line application. Please upload a cover letter and resume on one PDF document for review. Application received by September 29, 2023 will receive full consideration.
Direct link to apply: https://recruiting2.ultipro.com/SPA1004AURA/JobBoard/93330e50-7b3a-4ba8-94f2-6f32360aa4e1/Opportunity/OpportunityDetail?opportunityId=1549e270-eb41-4bf5-9da6-cc5d3ea9c792
STScI offers a flexible and welcoming workspace for all. STScI embraces the diversity of our staff as a strategic priority in creating a first-rate community. We strongly encourage women, ethnic minorities, veterans, and disabled individuals to apply for these opportunities. Veterans, disabled individuals, or wounded warriors needing assistance with the employment process can contact us at email@example.com EOE/AA/M/F/D/V.
As a leader in the astronomical community, AURA is committed to diversity and inclusion. AURA develops and supports programs that advance our organizational commitment to diversity, broaden participation, and encourage the advancement of diversity throughout the workforce www.aura-astronomy.org/diversity.asp
As a recipient of U.S. Government funding, AURA is considered a government contractor subject to Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action regulations. As an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, AURA and all of the centers do not discriminate based on race, sex, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender identity expression, lawful political affiliations, veteran status, disability, and any other legally protected status under applicable federal, state, and local equal opportunity laws. The statements below, as well as the requests for self-identification, are required under these regulations. We encourage your participation in meeting these federal reporting requirements for protection and assisting us in our record-keeping and reporting. Your responses are kept strictly confidential. #LIHYBRID
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
To apply for this job please visit recruiting2.ultipro.com.