Merlin, Comcast’s television metadata platform, is looking for a stellar DevOps-minded Software Engineer! You’ll be helping to build our future Kubernetes infrastructure and tooling on our international data platform. You’re a great fit if you have passion for writing cloud-native software, can independently dig deep into problem solving with cutting-edge technology, love to own the projects you work on, and are a team-player with excellent communication skills.
- Maintaining and evolving a multi-datacenter AWS-based Kubernetes installation.
- Building and evolving operational visibility tools and deployment processes.
- Documenting what you’re building for other team members.
- Collaborating with developers to help enhance the reliability and performance of our services.
- Providing technical guidance and leadership to fellow team members.
- Helping to maintain our Terraform and Ansible repositories.
- Collaborates with project stakeholders to identify product and technical requirements. Conducts analysis to determine integration needs.
- Designs new software and web applications, supports applications under development and customizes current applications. Develops software update process for existing applications. Assists in the roll-out of software releases.
- Trains junior Software Development Engineers on internally developed software applications.
- Oversees the researching, writing and editing of documentation and technical requirements, including evaluation plans, test results, technical manuals and formal recommendations and reports.
- Keeps current with technological developments within the industry. Monitors and evaluates competitive applications and products. Reviews literature, patents and current practices relevant to the solution of assigned projects.
- Provides technical leadership throughout the design process and guidance with regards to practices, procedures and techniques. Serves as a guide and mentor for junior level Software Development Engineers.
- Assists in tracking and evaluating performance metrics. Ensures team delivers software on time, to specification and within budget.
- Works with Quality Assurance team to determine if applications fit specification and technical requirements.
- Displays expertise in knowledge of engineering methodologies, concepts and skills and their application in the area of specified engineering specialty.
- Displays expertise in process design and redesign skills. Presents and defends architectural, design and technical choices to internal audiences.
- Regular, consistent and punctual attendance. Must be able to work nights and weekends, variable schedule(s) and overtime as necessary.
Employees at all levels are expected to:
- A bachelor’s degree in computer science or equivalent with 5+ years professional experience.
- Software development experience with an interest in using that experience to solve distributed systems problems.
- Experience with a major cloud provider, such as AWS, GCP, Azure.
- Experience with at least one of these languages: Java, Python, Go, Ruby.
- Linux system administration experience (e.g. RedHat / CentOS).
- Experience in using CI/CD tools preferably Maven, Jenkins, git, Concourse or similar tools.
- Experience working with automation tools such as Ansible, Puppet, Chef.
- Understanding of protocols and data formats like HTTP, JDBC, Mongo wire protocol, Protocol Buffers, JSON, YAML.
- Experience with Terraform, Kubernetes, Kafka, Docker, Redis, MongoDB.
- Experience with application clustering, load balancing, high availability, and reliability concepts and supporting technologies.
- Experience with monitoring systems such as Prometheus, Grafana, Splunk, or the ELK Stack.
- Clear written and verbal communication skills.
- Some level of participation in an on-call escalation path.
- A passion for providing excellent service to all internal and external customers.
- This information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer.
Comcast is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
While possessing the stated degree is preferred, Comcast also may consider applicants who hold some combination of coursework and experience, or who have extensive related professional experience.
Relevant Work Experience
Base pay is one part of the Total Rewards that Comcast provides to compensate and recognize employees for their work. Most sales positions are eligible for a Commission under the terms of an applicable plan, while most non-sales positions are eligible for a Bonus. Additionally, Comcast provides best-in-class Benefits. We believe that benefits should connect you to the support you need when it matters most, and should help you care for those who matter most. That’s why we provide an array of options, expert guidance and always-on tools, that are personalized to meet the needs of your reality – to help support you physically, financially and emotionally through the big milestones and in your everyday life. Please visit the compensation and benefits summary on our careers site for more details.
To apply for this job please visit itjobpro.com.