OVERALL OBJECTIVE AND PURPOSE
Responsible for assisting in designing, planning and implementing modifications to systems and servers, including security, access and documentation. Provides technical assistance in identifying, evaluating, and developing systems and procedures as they relate to servers, systems and applications that are delivered.
PRINCIPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
– Demonstrates a relentless commitment to meeting and exceeding customers’ expectations while also achieving the goal of reducing the risks and costs of providing services.
– Works to build an effective partnership with the internal customer on a daily basis. Listens to customers and asks the appropriate questions to determine their requirements.
– Collaborates with other parts of the organization as required to first share and analyze customer requirements and then develop and implement the best strategy and processes to meet those requirements.
– Performs advanced level troubleshooting of host systems and middleware servers and systems.
– Performs advanced troubleshooting of IP devices related to system and server connectivity.
– Assists in developing best practices related to system/server performance, capacity and archiving.
– Monitors and/or troubleshoots automated system and server functions by utilizing tools for verification of services, monitoring tool set availability and detecting, reporting, escalating, tracking and documenting anomalies.
– Maintains system and server documentation (system drawings, best practices and performance and capacity metrics).
– Defines and develops a maintenance strategy and maintenance scripts relating to backup and recoveries of system and servers.
– Analyzes system and server performance statistics and performs required tuning activities to optimize performance.
– Monitors logical security for all systems and servers assigned.
– Performs logical security log reviews for audit compliance. Detects, reports and escalates anomalies.
– Adheres to service level agreements by following established SLA performance requirements
– Adheres to IT best practices by following established IT best practice performance
– Adheres to Incident Management process and performs assigned incident identification, notification, documentation, and intermediate level diagnosis and remediation activities.
– Adheres to Change Management process and performs assigned change activities including monitoring and tracking change activities. Participates, documents and oversees network maintenance activities to ensure activities are completed with SLA requirements.
– Adheres to Release Management process and performs assigned database release actions. Assists engineers in planning efforts associated with projects and releases.
– Adheres to Audit Management process and procedures and performs assigned actions to capture audit evidence criteria.
– Participates in individual professional development by completing assigned development plan, participating in mentoring activities, tracking and reporting of development, and communicating career path goals and objectives.
– Provides training, mentoring, and coaching to junior System Administrators through free flow of information, encouraging and appropriately evaluating feedback, encouraging innovation, and inspiring / motivating others.
– Assists with the delegation of tasks to junior System Administrators, oversees workflow of department, and effectively communicate changes that affect employees’ work with limited supervision.
– Contributes to the performance feedback for junior System Administrators.
Complexity: Functions Responsible for or Influenced
Moderate – influence on database structure and administration
Diversity: Locations Responsible for or Influenced
Moderate – collaborates with individuals from a variety of sites
Typical Job Problems and Difficulties
Client operational issues, database performance issues, after hours support requirements
Medium – Mistakes could lead to costly penalties, downtime, etc.
Job Reports to (direct)
Job Reports to (indirect)
Direct Reports to Job
Authority for Staff Managed
Indirect Reports (influenced)
Level of Complexity for managing/organizing staff
Extent decisions governed by procedures or referred up
Moderate – some but not all actions dictated by policy / procedure or must be escalated to management for resolution
Standard requirements for research and analysis
Frequent – new product research and analysis
Opportunity and consequence of typical errors (supervision)
Frequent with moderate / high impact – errors on work performed on daily basis could lead to costly penalties and service interruptions
Frequency and complexity of internal business contacts
Frequent with moderate complexity – deals with clients on semi-complex issues on a daily basis
Frequency and complexity of external business contacts
Frequent with low impact – deals with vendors periodically
Physical (% time: travel, operating machinery, environmental etc.)
Minimal physical requirements – low travel, no special environmental issues. d on-call responsibilities in a 24X7X365 environment.
Bachelor’s degree with a technical major or equivalent experience. Database certifications are preferred
2 to 4 years of related experience with degree
Minimum technical knowledge and skills – Required
– Comprehensive knowledge of Office suite and PC operating systems
– Advanced ability to navigate through Unix/Linux/AIX/VMS/DOS and execute commands
– Intermediate/Advanced level knowledge of Windows, LINUX, AIX, VMWARE and VMS configurations and functions
– Advanced ability to use OS utilities
– Intermediate level knowledge of Sybase, DB2, MySQL and SQL databases
– Intermediate level ability to update, modify, reconfigure, backup and restore system and servers
– Intermediate level ability to create, modify, test, implement and maintain scripts (DCL, LSE, Perl, SQL, SQR, VI, etc)
– Intermediate level ability to use of database analysis tools (IBM Director, Enterprise Manager, etc..)
– Basic knowledge of change and incident management tools
– Intermediate level ability to detect, analyze, troubleshoot and escalate database incidents
– Intermediate level ability to forecast, recommend, and implement capacity planning
– Intermediate level knowledge of industry and local audit requirements
– Advanced knowledge of IP protocol and LAN topology
Essential special training requirements
– ITIL foundation training and certification
– Intermediate level – gateway access servers
– Basic level – GTECHIGT lottery system applications, processing, transaction life cycle, GUI applications and monitoring tools
– Intermediate level – GTECHIGT and local logical security policies and procedures and log review process
– Intermediate level – external contractual customer requirements
– Intermediate level – operational entry/exit criteria
Other skills – Required
– Demonstrates strong performance leadership skills including the ability to coach/mentor, deliver training, inspire and motive others, objectively assess the performance of others and provide balanced feedback
– Demonstrates the ability to lead the work of others effectively, including leading change and delegating work.
– Exhibits professional and customer appropriate communications (written and verbal). Listens effectively and demonstrates empathy and understanding of others’ concerns. Demonstrates knowledge of techniques needed, and experience in dealing with difficult or demanding customers
– Displays strong technical writing skills and presents information in a professional and engaging manner.
– Promotes teamwork and cooperation and builds strong relationships at all levels. Effectively collaborates and negotiates.
– Organizes and plans work effectively. Balances priorities among stakeholders
– Effectively resolves complex issues by reviewing and analyzing relation information, diagnosing, evaluating options and implementing solutions. Exhibits sound business judgment and exhibits common sense
– Identifies opportunities to implement new or modified approaches to resolve problems and maximize opportunities
– Completes work in a thorough, accurate, well thought out, and timely manner and with attention to detail
– Demonstrates high degree of ethics, integrity and confidentiality at all times.
– Displays initiative and self-motivation. Sets high goals for self and others and demonstrates a strong sense of urgency. Achieves results in a high pressure environment
– Effectively delivers training in area of expertise.
– Effectively implements and manages processes
– Must be able to support 24X7X365 operations as required to include holiday and weekend work as needed
Apply on Company Website
Job ID: 57873
Help us improve CareerBuilder by providing feedback about this job: .
For your privacy and protection, when applying to a job online, never give your social security number to a prospective employer, provide credit card or bank account information, or perform any sort of monetary transaction. Learn more.
By applying to a job using CareerBuilder you are agreeing to comply with and be subject to the CareerBuilder Terms and Conditions for use of our website. To use our website, you must agree with the Terms and Conditions and both meet and comply with their provisions.
We enable players to experience their favorite games across all channels and regulated segments, from Gaming Machines and Lotteries to Interactive. Leveraging a wealth of premium content, substantial investment in innovation, in-depth customer intelligence, operational expertise and leading-edge technology, our gaming solutions anticipate the demands of consumers wherever they decide to play. We have a well-established local presence and relationships with governments and regulators in more than 100 countries around the world, and create value by adhering to the highest standards of service, integrity, and responsibility. IGT has over 12,000 employees. Contact Info
– Austin, TX
To apply for this job please visit itjobpro.com.