Amazon Linux is the primary foundation upon which much of Amazon's infrastructure is built. If you find that as exciting as we do, then we want to talk to you about joining the Amazon Linux Team to help build the future of cloud!
A Systems Development Engineer on the Amazon Linux team delivers features with minimal direct oversight. Working with technical leaders to refine technical direction, create detailed analysis, designs, and codified solutions, they are equally comfortable leading small project teams as well as making major direct contributions.
Working with us you will own and build foundational packages that drive Amazon Linux. In addition, this position has a focus on Data Engineering and Telemetry. You will have huge impact on how we build Amazon Linux. By building solutions to answer questions with data and leveraging software engineering best practices, the solutions you will work on will help drive data-driven decisions as to how best to delight our customers.
An individual in this role is expected to be comfortable with Linux fundamentals, building distributed systems and automation (preferably in Python or similar languages). As well as a willingness to learn and contribute to Linux Packaging (RPM /Debian).
Experience with system development (in C,C++, Rust etc), Linux packaging (RPM/Debian), open source contributions, Amazon Athena, and Amazon quicksight are all a plus.
The Amazon Linux team builds, maintains and distributes both internal and external (public) versions of Amazon Linux Distributions. Externally, Amazon Linux Distributions serve as the reference implementation for Linux offerings on EC2, the Elastic Compute Cloud that is the basis for much of Amazon Web Services (AWS). Internally, Amazon Linux serves as the primary foundation upon which much of Amazon's infrastructure is built. We're also responsible for tools associated with the performance characterization, telemetry, qualification, build and deployment of our Linux Distributions.
This team creates the very core of the cloud – come help us make history!
Key job responsibilities
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as C++, C#, Java, Python, Golang, Ruby
• 3-5+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
• 3-5+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• 3-5+ years’ experience in information technology Bachelor's degree in Computer Engineering or equivalent experience
• 3-5+ years’ experience in 2 or more technical areas (Linux/Unix , Security, Networking, software development) or relevant experience in a similar field
• 3-5+ years’ experience in deploying and supporting applications and infrastructure in a 24×7 production environment
A day in the life
You will learn how open-source software is packaged and delivered within a Linux operating system. From there, you will learn how OS updates are delivered to customers and what tooling they have access to. Knowing how teams migrate and enable new OS’s will guide you when making suggestions on improving the processes.
About the team
ALBE provides mechanisms and data focused on enhancing the experience for Amazon internal teams, builders, and users of Amazon Linux distributions. This includes tooling and support to enable operating system migrations, as well as mechanisms to provide visibility into the use, performance, and adoption of Amazon Linux. Amazon Linux is the dominant operating system leveraged internally across Amazon. Because of this, we work to enable its use across all the provisioners and fabrics. This includes providing agent owners with a direct line to build and test agents and host enablement for provisioning teams. ALBE offers direct support to all of our internal service teams, agent owners, and provisioners to help them get the best experience when using Amazon Linux. In addition to migrations and enablement, ALBE owns 11 special interest groups (SIGs). The SIGs we manage are geared toward the internal experience and the desktop. This allows us to provide the best solutions as we are owners of the packages are customers use. These SIGs account for over 700 different Linux packages across 4 distributions.
We are open to hiring candidates to work out of one of the following locations:
Seattle, WA, USA
– 5+ years of designing or architecting (design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and existing systems experience
– 5+ years of administrative experience in networking, storage systems, operating systems and hands-on systems engineering experience
– Experience programming with at least one modern language such as C++, C#, Java, Python, Golang, PowerShell, Ruby
– 7+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
– Experience with PowerShell (preferred), Python, Ruby, or Java
– Experience working in an Agile environment using the Scrum methodology
– Experience with distributed systems at scale
– Experience working in a high pace DevOps
– Experience with CI/CD pipelines build processes
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Our compensation reflects the cost of labor across several US geographic markets. The base pay for this position ranges from $103,400/year in our lowest geographic market up to $201,200/year in our highest geographic market. Pay is based on a number of factors including market location and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Amazon is a total compensation company. Dependent on the position offered, equity, sign-on payments, and other forms of compensation may be provided as part of a total compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits. For more information, please visit https://www.aboutamazon.com/workplace/employee-benefits. Applicants should apply via our internal or external career site.
To apply for this job please visit itjobpro.com.