Division and Unit Overview
The Publications Division of the American Chemical Society provides to its customers and the global scientific community a comprehensive collection of peer reviewed, high quality scientific journals and other scientific information for the practice and advancement of chemistry and chemical related sciences to improve people’s lives through the transforming power of chemistry. ACS Publications publishes over 50 scientific journals in print and online editions.
The Digital Strategy team, positioned within the ACS Publications Division, is responsible for the ongoing development of strategic planning, features and functionality, management and maintenance, online community development, web advertising, single article transactions, and performance metrics associated with the ACS Publications Platform.
The Candidate, who is analytical and curious and thrives in a
highly collaborative, dynamic, and social environment
and demonstrates an entrepreneurial spirit and a willingness to learn and share new skills, will join a team of bright and innovative people who enjoy problem solving on a daily basis, and pride themselves on displaying a high degree of care and precision in the work
. The Candidate will
work with other members of the Digital Strategy team and colleagues within the Publications Division and other internal stakeholders within the Society and be inspired and invigorated by an interactive, fast-paced, mission-driven environment.
– Provide full stack web development: Analysis, development, testing, debugging, documenting, and peer reviews for projects. Apply knowledge and advanced skills with visual design, user experience and appropriate Web design and development technologies. Transform design concepts into design assets and assist in front end development.
– Collaborate with IT department business units regarding the development, deployment, and implementation enhancements to the platform and products. Participate in planning sessions to review projects to identify and estimate front-end development requirements, in terms of management and maintenance
– Collaborate with team members in the development and implementation of projects that require user research and analysis. Consults with UI/UX designers, product managers, developers, and other team members to design, script, plan, moderate, and report user research that delivers appropriate and timely insights to the product development and design process. Work with project business representatives and team members to test business concepts and requirements using heuristic/qualitative/quantitative methods.
– Monitors and checks the website for quality, accuracy, currency, consistency and other site technical aspects, such as performance and capacity. Performs content and web operations.
– Works with Platform Development team to assist with testing and implementing new features and functions on the Platform. Measure the effectiveness of user experience improvements and collaborate with other teams to measure improvements to user outcomes. Interprets results, and data to identify UX issues. Communicates results and recommendations in a timely and easily consumable format. Continually strive to improve research and design process to deliver better output.
– Knowledge about the features and functions available on websites developed by competitors to the ACS and leverage current systems. Research and learn new methodologies and technologies and participate in knowledge sharing.
– Troubleshoot and report on platform system, as well as other ancillary systems, including coordinating with Publications Help Desk to resolve constituent requests. Collaborate with other internal ACS Publications stakeholders to develop and deploy promotional and product campaigns and websites.
– Identify opportunities for technical improvements, including streamlining processes via automation and optimization of performance for applications in collaboration with other ACS technical business units. Design and develop solutions and enhancements using customization and configurations of software, including developing new software tools.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of incumbents.
Thorough knowledge of current best practices regarding user experience and usability, content management best practices, web page design and development is required. Experience and expertise in implementing multimedia formats, such as video and podcasts and use of a digital asset management system. Experience in contributing to a team-oriented approach to problem solving preferred and excellent written and oral communication skills are required. Project management experience and experience with content management systems, open source social media tools, and WordPress is preferred.
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disabled
To apply for this job please visit itjobpro.com.