How you’ll help us Keep Climbing (overview & key responsibilities)
Delta IT is on a journey of transformation. We are changing the way we do business from top to bottom. As thought-leaders within Delta, we strive to create meaningful and innovative solutions and are looking for team members to help us realize our vision.
Delta employees are thinkers, doers, innovators.
We are proactive.
We are collaborative.
We deliver impact to our customers.
Join us on our transformation journey in becoming a world-class IT organization at the world’s best airline!
Responsible for the design, testing, evaluation, implementation, and support of various platforms (hardware, operating systems, software, and systems tools). Provide consultation and direct technical support in life cycle planning, problem management, integration, and systems programming. Implement releases, upgrades, and/or changes into the environment. Ensure platform performance and availability meet enterprise objectives through monitoring, timely service restoration, and tuning. Duties may include capacity planning, workload modeling, system maintenance/administration, and diagnostics.
- Understand technical/business requirements gathered from the business units.
- Analyze, design, and document platforms/systems to meet enterprise requirements.
- Install, customize, maintain, test, and troubleshoot operating systems and other systems software.
- Configure, install, maintain, test, and troubleshoot hardware systems.
- Perform root cause analysis to quickly recover from service interruptions, and to prevent recurring problems.
- Research, evaluate, and recommend emerging technologies for enterprise use to consistently drive down total cost of ownership.
- Provide technical support, as needed, to the enterprise.
- Perform technical reviews comparing enterprise standard platform components with that of their leading industry competitors.
- Consult with other business units (e.g., application groups, DBAs, middleware, etc.) to configure platforms for product installation.
- Design and document enterprise standards and procedures.
- Ensure platforms/systems conform to established enterprise/industry standards (systems management, security, operating systems, etc.) and reference models.
- Implement changes to platforms with minimal impact to the business by following enterprise standards and procedures.
- Monitor, manage, and tune platforms to ensure expected availability and performance levels are achieved.
- Provide on-site, and on-call 7x24x365 support, as needed.
- Coordinate activities with internal/external technology owners/service providers.
- Plan and implement life cycle management of software and hardware.
- Keep abreast of industry and technology trends.
Why You’ll Love Delta!
Our culture is rooted in a shared dedication to living our values Honesty, Integrity, Respect, Perseverance, and Servant Leadership every day, in everything we do. Exploring a career at Delta gives you a chance to see the world while providing great Benefits to help you keep climbing along the way:
- Competitive salary, industry-leading prot sharing, and 401(k) with generous direct contribution and company match
- Comprehensive health & wellness Benefits including medical, dental, vision, short/long term disability and life Benefits
- Domestic and International Flight privileges for employees and eligible family members
- Career development programs are available for your long-term career goals
- Access to subsidized and vetted Backup Care for children, adults, and pets through Care.com
What you need to succeed (minimum qualifications)
- Must be willing to travel 75% of the time.This position requires travel to South America for service requests and project support, but will also require travel internationally and domestically to support additional common use cities.
- 3 or more years of work experience
- 3 plus years Airport Workstation and Network Technical Experience
- 3 plus years Airport Peripheral Device Management Skills
- Must possess good written and verbal communication skills and be proficient with Microsoft Office software products
- Must be able to influence and work effectively with a variety of people, both internally and externally
- Must be performing satisfactorily in present position
- Track record of advancing new technologies to improve support for all airport IT products and reliability
- Where permitted by applicable law, must have received or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccine by date of hire to be considered for U.S.-based job, if not currently employed by Delta Air Lines, Inc.
- High School diploma, GED or High School Equivalency.
- Demonstrates that privacy is a priority when handling personal data.
- Embraces a diverse set of people, thinking and styles.
- Consistently makes safety and security, of self and others, the priority.
What will give you a competitive edge (preferred qualifications)
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or computer science
- Nice to have: written and verbal communication skills in Spanish
- Communication Skills: The ability to communicate verbally and in writing with all levels of employees and management, capable of successful formal and informal communication, speaks and writes clearly and understandably at the right level. Timely communication within the team, and not undermining each other, is critical. Share knowledge.
- Integrity and Trust: Involves being widely trusted, being seen as a direct, truthful individual, can present the unvarnished truth in an appropriate and helpful manner, keeps confidences, admits mistakes, and doesnt misrepresent him/herself for personal gain.
- Teamwork: Involves working well in a collaborative setting, supporting work team by volunteering for and completing assignments, acting as a positive team member by contributing to discussions, developing, and maintaining both formal and informal relationships enterprise-wide, defines success in terms of the entire team through mentoring and knowledge transfer.
- Technical Expertise: Involves demonstrating a commitment to increasing knowledge and skills in current technical/functional area, keeping up to date on technical developments, staying informed as to industry practices, knowing how to apply relevant technical processes to appropriate business needs.
- Dedication: Involves demonstrating a desire to dedicate time and energy to accomplish goals, tasks, assignments, etc. Will do what it takes to get things done.
- Flexibility: Is open to change, enjoys the challenge of unfamiliar tasks, anticipates, and adjusts to problems and roadblocks, is not thrown off when things change, can flex to future consequences and trends appropriately.
- Patience: Involves listening and checking before acting. Is tolerant with people and processes, tries to understand the people and the data before making judgments and acting, sensitive to due process and proper approaches.
- Problem Solving: Uses rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions, probes all fruitful sources for answers, can see hidden problems, is excellent at honest analysis, looks beyond the obvious and doesnt stop at the first answer. Think outside the box for solutions, but stay within established standards, and seek second opinions.
- Task Management: Delivers quality work on time, translates planning into action by following applicable established procedures or methodologies, proactively monitors and controls task status by collecting and analyzing task data to anticipate and address barriers, appropriately communicates, and resolves or escalates any problems that arise.
- Motivation: Demonstrate consistent drive to grow. Many of our candidates exhibit some of the requirements and qualities mentioned, but only recent instead of throughout the years being with the team. Therefore, their motivations and track records require more time to evaluate, especially when it comes to the qualities to follow.
- Documentation: Our projects and workloads can feel like we are working in silos, but part of communication is the ability to properly document everything for the team. Instead of keeping everything to yourself, a conscientious effort to label equipment, update assets, update port management, update photos, upload drawings etc. is a plus to help us help each other.
- Organization: Often, we are tasked with handling multiple, lengthy projects. This takes a lot of planning and preparation on top of day-to-day support. We need someone who is detail oriented in planning ahead, instead of panicking at the last minute, putting blame on others. A candidate with good organizational skills should also keep things tidy, such as neatly route cables, remove unused equipment, and not just install equipment haphazardly for others to cleanup later.
- Customer Conscious: We were taught to strive for zero downtime, which means working at all hours to accommodate operational needs, not for our own benefit and risk causing hardships for our customers and peers afterwards. This also requires double-checking, at times triple-checking, our work, and following up on unfinished work. As an example, volunteering to work overtime, but left kiosks with broken card readers at an outstation for months, is not a quality we desire in someone who wants to become a system engineer.
- Airline industry knowledge
To apply for this job please visit itjobpro.com.