Facebook Reality Labs is a world leader in the design of virtual reality (VR) and augmented reality (AR) systems. Come work alongside technology visionaries and research scientists to create the technology that makes VR and AR pervasive and universal. The Cameras & Sensors (C&S) team gathers world class expertise and talent in photographic and machine vision cameras, imaging sensors, and depth, inertial, and bio sensing systems, and owns the development and validation for all these sensing systems across the whole AR, VR, & Portal product portfolios. We are looking for a Depth Systems Architect to drive future system requirements and relentlessly push the boundaries of innovation in pursuit of optimal sensing solutions that will enable our bold product vision. The ideal candidate is effective at driving deep collaboration across teams of passionate technologists that result in detailed depth system analyses, tradeoff evaluations, and architectural execution strategies. The scope of this role has large impact that will set the course of technology selection and investment; and includes defining feature requirements and KPIs, depth module, algorithm, and silicon capabilities, optical and mechanical design requirements, system power budgets, and quantitative predictive performance modeling.
- Lead technical efforts and own the architecture strategy for productization of novel depth systems for augmented reality (AR), virtual reality (VR) and other social presence products
- Foster collaboration in a team environment extending across engineering disciplines while managing a wide variety of stakeholders
- Model, simulate, and validate the performance of end-to-end depth systems in context of use case
- Identify areas of valuable technology investment for incubating new technologies into research prototypes
- PhD in Physics, Optical, Electrical, Computer Engineering, or similar field
- 6+ years of experience engineering consumer products (concept through mass production)
- Experience defining camera system requirements
- Experience with critical depth system requirements, from core architecture through to individual components
- Experience with imaging, rendering, and/or depth system simulation
- Experience defining or analyzing critical performance parameters of various depth or imaging sensor architectures
- Understanding of sensor device physics, noise analysis, electrical and optical design, digital imaging, and core depth estimation algorithms
- Experience with prototyping hardware depth or camera systems
- Experience with camera or depth system calibration methods
- Experience working with external design, manufacturing, testing and contracting partners
- Experience programming in C++, Python, MATLAB, or similar language
Facebook’s mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we’re building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we’re creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities – we’re just getting started.
Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.
Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process.
To apply for this job please visit itjobpro.com.