CenturyLink (NYSE: CTL) is a global communications and IT services company focused on connecting its customers to the power of the digital world. CenturyLink offers network and data systems management, big data analytics, managed security services, hosting, cloud, and IT consulting services. The company provides broadband, voice, video, advanced data and managed network services over a robust 265,000-route-mile U.S. fiber network and a 360,000-route-mile international transport network. Visit CenturyLink for more information.
As an integral member of the Tier III group, the IT Systems Engineer II provides advanced Tier II support a nationwide diverse fiber optic OTN/DWDM transport backbone as well as two (2) geographically separated Network Operation Centers (NOC) by troubleshooting and repairing network devices, tools, and services. The position serves as the NOC primary point of contact (POC) for problem escalations. The Tier II interacts with Network Provisioner or equipment vendors to identify and develop solution to escalated problems. The position requires fluent understanding of Layers 1/2 inter-dependences and Transport proficiency.
The network is expected to sustain continual growth to include additional sites and customers across the life of the program and the ITSE responsibilities continue to grow as new customers are added to the network.
- Perform Transport, IP, and Network Management functions in engineering and operations environment and operates as technical lead on problem escalations. Serves as the first level of escalation to Tier 1 NOC personnel on Transport related issues
- Serves has technical POC and Lead for Provisioning, Configurations, and TTU. Interface with Network Provisioner and configuration managers for requirements, designs, and any other information needed to perform tasks
- Performs advanced diagnostics using software and hardware tools to determine network status and optimize network performance
- Assist provisioning, configurations, and TTU tasks by supporting new system/circuit activations or deactivations as driven by customer requirements
- Works closely with Tier III Provisioner in implementing system requirements to provide connectivity for TDM (DS-1, DS-3), SONET (OC-12/48/192), IP, and DWDM paths
- Provide technical guidance, direction, and training to junior technicians with emphasis on Transport equipment
- Provide technical input to operational documentations and SOP for Transport discipline supporting the NOC
- Maintain circuit level diagrams (CLR), Network Diagrams, and other supporting documentation. Review and provide feedback or updates to network as-built, Engineering Development Plans (EDP), and configuration management drawings
- On-call after hours/on-call support as required
- Junior Technical to Network Provisioner and ITSE III: receive technical guidance and mentorship
- This position requires a Top Secret/SCI clearance
- Individual is able to keep up with the high demand of the position.
- Firm knowledge of SONET, DWDM, and IP is required
- Experience with Ciena Optical equipment and software is required. Long haul optical equipment certifications and training are highly desired
- Bachelor’s degree in an Information Technology field and three years’ experience required or seven years applicable work experience.
- Demonstrates a high-level of proficiency in IP technical discipline. Able to operate and accomplish technical task with minimum guidance. Proficient knowledge of common network architectures for routing, switching, and security technologies is required
- Familiar with in the uses of Transport management tool and network management protocols, including but not limited to One-Control, Node Manager, Site Manager
- Security+ or equivalent IAT/IAM/IASAE Level 2 of DoD 8570.1 is required.
- JNCIA or CCNA is preferred
- Firm knowledge of the encryption devices KG-175G/D, KIV-7M, KG-340
- Expected to work in a shift environment in support of 24×7 operations
- Up to 15% travel can be expected due to possible deployments to lab facilities and other NOC locations
Bachelors or Equivalent in Information Systems or Other Technology
Alternate Location: US-Texas-San Antonio
Requisition #: 145911
This job may require successful completion of an online assessment. A brief description of the assessments can be viewed on our website at http://find.centurylink.jobs/testguides/
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, ancestry, citizenship, national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic characteristic or information, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, family status, pregnancy, or other legally protected status (collectively, “protected statuses”). We do not tolerate unlawful discrimination in any employment decisions, including recruiting, hiring, compensation, promotion, benefits, discipline, termination, job assignments or training.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: http://itjobpro.com/11870 →